Weird checkbox behavior for the new web UI

lltous

1. It's confusing to have a checklist button and the insert Checkbox link. There should be one button for this function, especially the behaviour is different between Web and mobile clients.

2. For the Checkbox option, if you have a list of them, pressing the enter key should automatically insert a new checkbox at the beginning of the next line, but it doesn't do that. Checklist option has this function, but the display is different on other mobile clients.

Please help to get this fixed.

• Level 5

Hi, and welcome to the forums. This is a user-to-user space, so the rest of us here aren't able to get things fixed directly. Evernote does have a support handle on Twitter for Basic users. There's also a Web beta forum, where there are other reports of checkbox issues: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/forum/638-web-client/.

I think there are more or less useful differences and needs for checkbox-list and single checkbox item:

Checkbox button (list) from the edit menu

• inserts and reacts as list-environment starting with checkboxes as list item at any new line
  • can easily be reordered by drag and drop
  • shows as a strikedthrough line on Web-Frontend if activated
  • shows a list indention in the web frontend
  • will be created with [] if entered at the beginning of a new line

Single Checkbox from the insert menu

• is just a single checkbox and is no list-item
  • can't easily be reordered by drag and drop
  • won't be shown as a strikedthrough line if activated
  • shows no indention in the web frontend at line-beginning
  • will be created with [] if entered somewhere else than at the beginning of a new line

displayed as a screenshot from the actual web-UI:

image.png.c2428fdf906ef9b8b5cbc2fad9161a99.png

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Thank you for this careful research! But out of curiosity, what version of the Web client are you using? I ask because there are two important points to add to your research, at least WRT Web client beta v. 6.18.0.

In that version (as of 17 September 2020), there is no longer a checkbox item in the edit menu/ribbon/toolbar. What you describe above can be achieved by pressing Ctrl+Shift+C (or, as you state, by typing []<space> at the beginning of a line). Secondly, and very importantly, using this method produces a checkbox list that presents as a bulleted list with checkboxes after each bullet in other Evernote clients (including the "Classic" Web editor!). See the screenshot below, and the discussion in this thread: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/122361-checkbox-shortcut-indents-checkbox/.

So the Ctrl+Shift+C method produces a highly functional checkbox list that has useless bullets in other Evernote clients, while the Insert-menu checkbox produces checkboxes but not a functional list. I would have to say that both of these options are seriously lacking in usability. I hope they are not intended as the final state of checkbox lists!

image.png.fb5f93f49d8b5bb77a977854d1adfbf0.png

• Level 5*

1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

So the Ctrl+Shift+C method produces a highly functional checkbox list that has useless bullets in other Evernote clients

What @HeBoIz describes has been implemented in the new IOS release.  Hopefully, in time, we will see consistent behavior across the clients.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

What @HeBoIz describes has been implemented in the new IOS release.  Hopefully, in time, we will see consistent behavior across the clients.

Does this mean that creating a checkbox list on an iOS device using the edit menu (does that exist in the iOS interface?) or using []<space> at the beginning of a line produces a list with bullets (whether in iOS or other platforms)?

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Does this mean that creating a checkbox list on an iOS device using the edit menu (does that exist in the iOS interface?) or using []<space> at the beginning of a line produces a list with bullets

[] or using the menu item produces the "new" checkbox list on iOS.  The old checkbox is still available on the edit menu but in a sub-menu under a + button.  Still on the edit menu but buried a bit.  I haven't tried the Windows beta but new iOS and web beta seem consistent to me in this area.

• Level 5
18 hours ago, s2sailor said:

[] or using the menu item produces the "new" checkbox list on iOS.  The old checkbox is still available on the edit menu but in a sub-menu under a + button.  Still on the edit menu but buried a bit.  I haven't tried the Windows beta but new iOS and web beta seem consistent to me in this area.

My question, though, is whether this "new" checkbox list shows up as a bulleted list in other Evernote clients (including the "old"/"classic" Web editor)? Like this:

image.png.90eaf338111c6802f8ec3374e11407f3.png

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

My question, though, is whether this "new" checkbox list shows up as a bulleted list in other Evernote clients (including the "old"/"classic" Web editor)? Like this:

Here's a screenshot from Evernote/Web (new)     1663684184_ScreenShot2020-09-18at8_58_13AM.png.07a228bc8ea6846ff18eb61253ba341e.png

In Evernote/Mac (old), we see bullets                     2000314287_ScreenShot2020-09-18at9_01_00AM.png.c6016ba6af7f05a1a8630b352fbf8fb4.png

This is the underlying html code; it describes an unordered (bullets) list438319633_ScreenShot2020-09-18at8_50_33AM.png.e0ce99260b9016a60616e4f678a33d81.png

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, @DTLow. I'm still uncertain whether this pertains to notes created in the upgraded iOS app--not that I really care, since I don't use it; just curious!

Notes using the new Checklist feature   
I did use Evernote/IOS, but the same results apply for Evernote/Web

• Thanks 1