Couldn't run Evernote for Windows

After closing Evernote for Windows, I'm having a hard time launching the app in Windows again. I tried removing and reinstalling Evernote but each time I double clicked on the icon, the app doesn't launch and only a message is displayed saying that Evernote is already running. Could I kindly ask somebody to advise how I should be able to resolve this problem?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Two options.

1. check the bottom right of your Windows screen for an elephant icon. Click it if it's there.  If not...
  2. > right-click your tool-bar in Windows and click on Task Manager. 
    > Click on 'Name' in the header bar of that window to sort entries alphabetically. 
    > Look down the list for anything Evernote (there may be more than one entry). 
    > In each case right-click and choose End Task. 
    > Then retry starting Evernote.

Thanks for responding. i did both options you cited but still the problem persists. I actually restarted the laptop after ending all the Evernote processes. When I clicked on the Evernote icon, several Evernote process (like 6 or 7 of them) are spawned on the Task Manager.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, alland42 said:

Thanks for responding. i did both options you cited but still the problem persists. I actually restarted the laptop after ending all the Evernote processes. When I clicked on the Evernote icon, several Evernote process (like 6 or 7 of them) are spawned on the Task Manager.

Hmmn.  I'd suggest you End Task all current processes,  and copy your Evernote Databases folder from C:\Users\<username>\Evernote to your desktop (as a backup).  Use Revo Uninstaller Free to uninstall Evernote (it reaches the parts other uninstallers don't find) and restart your device.  Download and reinstall Evernote from Evernote.com,  and try again...

On 9/6/2020 at 9:21 AM, alland42 said:

several Evernote process (like 6 or 7 of them) are spawned

Just so you know, this is completely normal. The browser used internally is Chrome's browser, so like Chrome, EN spawns multiple children to deal with html rendering.

Another thing to know about EN - clicking the close 'X' does not exit the program (by default), it merely hides the program. (If you turn off sync-in-background that behavior changes) To actually exit, use the menu item "File->Exit"

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, dcon said:

Just so you know, this is completely normal. The browser used internally is Chrome's browser, so like Chrome, EN spawns multiple children to deal with html rendering.

This is the desktop though???

On 9/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, CalS said:

This is the desktop though???

EN certainly didn't write an HTML renderer :) . When I said "The browser used internally is Chrome's browser", I probably should have written that CEF (chromium embedded framework) is what is used. Which is also the same thing the Chrome browser (and many others - including MS's Edge now) use.

• 1 year later...

I ran into an issue when I set an import folder and 2500 files were imported. The app hung up and when I closed the program to restart it would not load. All the background processes were running but nothing was loading. I tried everything, uninstall, reboot, install, reboot, even tried a total removal, registry entries databases and everything. Placed a tech support ticket (still waiting guys) - Anyway, suddenly it hit me, try the legacy. I did, and it loaded everything, then I found an earlier download of 10.15 version and installed it. The damn thing worked, so after it loaded I checked update and installed the latest version and its all back to normal.

Try this, maybe it works, you just have to have a saved an older downloaded installation hanging around your archives.

Bye

• Thanks 1