Evernote reacts on Drag and Drop when just hovering over Evernote in Background

When I drag bigger files (e.g. videos) from one File Explorer Windows to another and there is an Evernote window in the background or in between, an Evernote popup window appears that I'm not allowed to add such big attachments to a note.

Note: I do NOT want to add these files to the note. I just want to drag them somewhere else but it happened that I moved over the Evernote window with a visible note in the background.

I'm on a basic account* so it says the limit is 25 MB for attachments. It says I should upgrade to a plan with 200 MB attachmets for notes. I don't know if something similar happens with paid accounts. But bigger files can easily exceed also 200 MB.

*) I would consider a payed plan to use it on more devices. But I still miss some features like shortcut customization (don't need the global ones); editor became better over time, but still some struggles; easy way to select notebook of current note to add new note there.

2020-07-12 10_37_59-Evernote.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
28 minutes ago, noox said:

I don't know if something similar happens with paid accounts. But bigger files can easily exceed also 200 MB.

Hi.  Like the message says,  subscribers get to add notes up to 200MB.  Bigger PDFs can be shrunk down;  larger files need to be stored elsewhere,  but can be indexed in Evernote.

How to attach Google Drive files to notes

Evernote system limits

Please read my post. I do NOT want to add an attachment to an Evernote note. The message appears when I move a file to drag and drop somewhere else over an evernote post. I did not release the mouse button on the Evernote window.

I use three monitors and I often have windows not in full size mode so it happens now and then that an evernote window is in the background or in between two other windows I want to move files from and to.

I've been meaning to raise this issue for ages. Evernote should not react to a drag-and-drop event unless something is dropped on it.

Most of the time you wouldn't notice this issue if the file that happens to be getting dragged across an EN window is small. In my case I have a Premium account but this crops up if I happen to be dragging video files around. EN will complain that the file exceeds the 200MB limit and causes the drag action to be cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, noox said:

Please read my post. I do NOT want to add an attachment to an Evernote note. The message appears when I move a file to drag and drop somewhere else over an evernote post. I did not release the mouse button on the Evernote window.

I use three monitors and I often have windows not in full size mode so it happens now and then that an evernote window is in the background or in between two other windows I want to move files from and to.

I read your post. I understand you do not want a file attachment to a note. However you did ask whether subscribers had the same problem,  and in answering that question I explained what said subscriber would need to do to store large files elsewhere, but still keep track of them in Evernote.

I confirmed that if I drag a large file over my Evernote window I get an immediate pop-up which also interrupts the drag.  I can see where this would be frustrating,  though it has never happened to me until now!  Perhaps if @Liam Gretton can raise a ticket Evernote can look into this...  (I'm in the middle of a different issue with Support,  so I can't raise it currently...)

There's a revision due out later this year,  so hopefully this glitch might be suppressed in the next version;  if not it may take a while for a fix to be issued.

I can confirm that this behaviour occurs on my EN-Win v6.18.4 premium account also.  Never been an issue for me as my multi-monitor and windows arrangement, between EN and File Explorer has been arranged such that these two are immediately adjacent side-by-side...but can see how this would be super annoying if another window setup is used. 

I tried dragging a file from File Explorer (on left side) to another File Explorer window on far right side, with EN app window in the middle, and used a file larger than my premium account allows, and the drag-n-drop was stopped half way... beyond the obvious of re-arranging windows to prevent this, if this should not be happening then yeah EN should get on top of it, as the pop-up should IMHO only occur on mouse button release.

1.jpg.8a0e79eebaf3a177e9a4aadb3f34e0e9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...