Feature Request: Updating a Web Clip

AZ.Jared

Idea

Hello,

I use Web Clipper with Wikipedia for gathering and grouping articles, I then tag the articles for later use.

It would be convenient for me if there was a feature in the application to update the Web Clip Note to the latest version of the article on Wikipedia without having to create a new Note, keeping my version in sync with their version without loosing the Note's info and edits, history, tags, remarks, etc.

• Like 1

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 3/24/2020 at 9:13 PM, AZ.Jared said:

It would be convenient for me if there was a feature in the application to update the Web Clip Note to the latest version

Hi.  I'll move this to the general feature request thread since it seems to relate to all versions of Evernote.  Whatever support it gets there,  I can't see it being practical for Evernote - they'd have to monitor the website of every clip made by every user every day.  At a minimum that could be 200M queries a day with a lesser number of potentially large downloads for clips to be updated.  (And how would Evernote see differences between a clipped and much-annotated page and the current version?)

This would probably make Evernote very unpopular with every other web user as traffic ground to a halt.

It should be possible to cope with your requirement in normal usage anyway - clip a page and comment away,  then next time you need to use that note use the embedded URL to revisit the page,  and re-clip it into a new note.  Use a note link to attach that to your existing notes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 3/24/2020 at 2:13 PM, AZ.Jared said:

Hello,

I use Web Clipper with Wikipedia for gathering and grouping articles, I then tag the articles for later use.

It would be convenient for me if there was a feature in the application to update the Web Clip Note to the latest version of the article on Wikipedia without having to create a new Note, keeping my version in sync with their version without loosing the Note's info and edits, history, tags, remarks, etc.

A quick web search for tool to advise when a web page changes returns this 14 BEST tools for Website Change Detection & Monitoring (2020) and 5 Best Free Tools to Monitor Website Changes (2019).  I did not dive any deeper.  Maybe you could roll your own for this feature.  Not to be a wet blanket, but doubtful this is going to find it onto EN's priority list.  FWIW. 

• Like 2

Rather than do it automatically, Evernote could add a refresh clip button for refresh only on user request. Ideally, we could refresh all clips in one note at the same time. 

One of my favorite things about webclipper is that it preserves the state the page was in at the time of clipping (another way to do this is to save files as .mhtml files which roll css and formatting and all into on file, but webclipper is far more convenient). The last thing I'd want is a no-options automatic refresh. But I could see myself getting into a use case like yours and since EN already has the URL stored, adding the option to refresh its saved version shouldn't be difficult. If they are worried about abuse via macros etc for some reason, could flag accounts that do it over x times per day, warn them, go from there.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Refreshing as an option sounds interesting, and it is currently not available in any client, legacy and v10 alike. Good point !

To drop it at EN product managements desk, use the feedback function build into the clients.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Just to mention it: v10 will show the URL in a button at the top of the page. So instead of refreshing a clip (which is static, and may give mixed results given that modern websites are dynamic CSS, not the HTML pages of old), you simply tap on that button, and it takes you right to the current page.

If needed, clip it again.