Hacked ?

Nigel kibble

Idea

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

This sounds like the problem that happens when your Evernote password is identical to a password used for other services, and is stolen from one of the other services. This has been reported a number of times. The solution, of course, is to change the password to something unique to your Evernote account.

• Thanks 1

I had the same problem today. My account also had an iPhone connected that I don't have and that I never authorized to access. I would like to investigate this with the assistance, but I can't send the report because the submit form button is NOT A BOTTON and can't be clicked. The link of the page I am referring to is this one: https://help.evernote.com/hc/it/requests/new?ticket_form_id=254668 .
How can I explain the situation to the assistance and receive support?

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Gryfon said:

My account also had an iPhone connected that I don't have and that I never authorized to access.

To access your account, the user has your password
You need to change your password to one which is only used at the Evernote service

On 1/24/2020 at 1:21 AM, DTLow said:

To access your account, the user has your password
You need to change your password to one which is only used at the Evernote service

The problem is that I did not receive any communication that this new device had been connected to my account. When I added my PC and smartphone, I received emails notifying me of this. Why not in this case?

• Level 5

Probably the weird approach happens through an interface, maybe there is no notification then. Why or why not, obviously it is there, and if I were you, I would look after rapidly changing my password (something unique = only used for EN, and strong = long and complex) and throw the strange device out. You can use the web client to do that if you have problems with one of the other clients.

35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Probably the weird approach happens through an interface, maybe there is no notification then. Why or why not, obviously it is there, and if I were you, I would look after rapidly changing my password (something unique = only used for EN, and strong = long and complex) and throw the strange device out. You can use the web client to do that if you have problems with one of the other clients.

I've already done all this. But there's still the problem of not notifying the connection. And that's serious. If I hadn't noticed at the time, who knows how long it would have been.

• Level 5

Personally I do not get a notification if a new device is connecting with my account. And I have a number of them, no limit ... From time to time I go to the settings in the client I am using at that moment, and take a look.

I just checked the settings - I have not found an option where notifications of an account access could be activated or deactivated.

However I have 2FA active, so I probably would be notified if somebody would try and fail.

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Personally I do not get a notification if a new device is connecting with my account. And I have a number of them, no limit ... From time to time I go to the settings in the client I am using at that moment, and take a look.

I just checked the settings - I have not found an option where notifications of an account access could be activated or deactivated.

However I have 2FA active, so I probably would be notified if somebody would try and fail.

This is part of the email notifying me of new access:

Why are you displaying this message?
At Evernote, protecting your account is our top priority. When you sign in from a new device, app or location, you'll receive emails like this.

I can't tell you why I'm receiving it or what settings I put on it, whether it was selectable or default. The fact is that every time I change device I receive it.