I'm trying to set up a "dashboard" and would like to set up the various links, etc. in a table.  I would like this table to have all its borders hidden so that the content would appear to be free-floating.  I am using Enrico Nahler's dashboard setup as inspiration.   A picture of his dashboard is below.   Is there a way that I can hide the borders in the Windows app?  I do not see a way to do that.

nahler-dashboard.png

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Sloop JB said:

Is there a way that I can hide the borders in the Windows app?  I do not see a way to do that.

On my Mac, I can select  Format > Table > Table Properties > Table Border    
As per the video, set the colour white

I can also edit the note's enml code

1. Export the note in .enex formatspacer.png
  2. Edit the .enex file with a text editor app.  This is basic html code.
  3. Import the .enex file

This is easier on my Mac; no export/import required

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I've done this,  but I'm not sure how...

Screenshot_20190528-185102.thumb.png.3eaff03745ec05e110552eb6b47f556e.png

It didn't seem too problematic - 

1. create a table with coloured cells and the text of links to other notes
  2. screen grab the table and cut/ crop the cells into individual images
  3. create another table with the same cell colours and put each image in the appropriate cell
  4. copy/ Ctrl+K the actual links to those cells to make the images into active links
  5. remember a couple of additional links later and add them as 'lists' and 'contacts' above...

(The extra steps here,  because if you just create a table with links,  you get the standard blue underlined link format).

Probably not the most elegant way to do it,  but it seemed like a good idea at the time...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, gazumped said:

1. create a table with coloured cells and the text of links to other notes

The extra steps here,  because if you just create a table with links,  you get the standard blue underlined link format).

I'm satisfied with just the links; it's easy to update
We can update the text colour

I prefer your dashboard instead off the floating post-it images.

• Like 1

Oh I'm certainly not wedded to the "Post-It as graphic" idea.  But I certainly like the idea of having the items float without seeing the borders.  

As for the suggestions, I've tried looking under "Format" and do not see a table option.  Just font, para, and style.   I may try out the enex export/import, but at this point it would probably just be easier to borrow a Mac, configure the table, and hope for the best.  It's kind of sad that Evernote doesn't offer such a relatively basic functionality to Windows users, but those are the breaks I suppose.

• Level 5*

10 hours ago, Sloop JB said:

I've tried looking under "Format" and do not see a table option

Hi.  For more on tables check here.

10 hours ago, Sloop JB said:

It's kind of sad that Evernote doesn't offer such a relatively basic functionality to Windows users

I'm a Windows user - I have tables.

I think Enrico used post-its purely to get a standard size coloured graphic he could write / iconise on.  The table would have been used to keep the images of the notes in a grid - which I did,  but differently.

(And now that I have another cup of coffee,  I remember the way to do tables without borders is to use Word or another WP app that can create one,  then copy/ paste the result into your note!)

19 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  For more on tables check here.

Thanks for the link.  It doesn't, however, answer my question, which is how to hide the gridlines, or at least set them to white.

21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm a Windows user - I have tables.

Yes, of course.  I do too.  By "basic functionality", I meant the ability to set the color of the gridlines as well as the cells themselves.  In the video, Enrico -- on a Mac -- used a dialog which is not available on the Windows version.  This is the type of feature disparity that I hope the Evernote team actually rectifies instead of just talking about fixing.

22 minutes ago, gazumped said:

(And now that I have another cup of coffee,  I remember the way to do tables without borders is to use Word or another WP app that can create one,  then copy/ paste the result into your note!)

I'll give that a try!  I tried that approach with Excel yesterday, and all I got was a standard Evernote table.

Another possibility I'm thinking of is to set up a note on a Mac containing a table with blank gridlines, then copying/pasting it to my other notes as needed.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
21 hours ago, Sloop JB said:

Is there a way that I can hide the borders in the Windows app?  I do not see a way to do that.

There is no way to do this in the Windows application. It doesn't have the UI to select cell border colors, for example.

You can probably do it by hand: make an Evernote note with a table in it of appropriate dimensions, save it in ENEX format (.enex) and then load the file into a text editor and tweak the table settings. You'd be looking for the <table> element, "style=" attribute. Here's a sample (I broke up the markup into different lines, and for sake of brevity, clipped out everything outside the en-note element:

<en-note>
<div><b><font style="font-size: 10pt;">Test Table</font></b></div>
<div><br/></div><div><br/></div><div>
<table style="border-collapse: collapse; min-width: 100%;">
   <colgroup><col style="width: 448px;"/><col style="width: 450px;"/></colgroup>
      <tbody>
      <tr>
         <td style="width: 448px; padding: 8px; border: 1px solid red;"><div><br/></div></td>
         <td style="width: 450px; padding: 8px; border: 1px solid white;"><div><br/></div></td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
         <td style="width: 448px; padding: 8px; border: 1px solid blue;"><div><br/></div></td>
         <td style="width: 450px; padding: 8px; border: 1px solid green;"><div><br/></div></td>
      </tr>
   </tbody>
</table>
<div><br/></div>
</en-note>]]>

This is a 2x2 table, with border colors of red, white, blue, and green. The markup is just HTML. You should be able to just paste in the color name after the "border: 1px solid" bit in each cell, and then save your ENEX file. Then you can import it back in (File / Import...) and you have a table template to work from.

I did try this, and it appears to work.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jefito said:

You can probably do it by hand: make an Evernote note with a table in it of appropriate dimensions, save it in ENEX format (.enex) and then load the file into a text editor and tweak the table settings. You'd be looking for the <table> element, "style=" attribute. Here's a sample (I broke up the markup into different lines, and for sake of brevity, clipped out everything outside the en-note element:

Thanks!  This is very helpful. 

• Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Sloop JB said:

Thanks!  This is very helpful. 

Good luck -- let us know how you get on. I didn't test this, but hopefully the changes survive syncing and display correctly on other device types. I also didn't test selecting a table and copying it elsewhere, though I did test duplicating the note containing the first imported (and recolored) note, and that seemed to work fine.

Edit: I didn't test modifying any other table attributes either; Evernote can certainly display valid HTML tables, but whether it does any internal conversions is something I don't know.