Contacts

StuBrown

Guys , moving all my filing into evernote - however i followed some guidelines regarding saving customer contacts. im findign it hard to drill a search down can you point me in the right direction for searches and perhaps automating them with some kind of filter pop out?

Also are there any notebook tag comments for newbies?

• Level 5*
On 1/23/2019 at 12:36 AM, StuBrown said:

Also are there any notebook tag comments for newbies?

Don't get hung up on using Notebooks.236263060_ScreenShot2019-01-23at06_29_32.png.e75f6e1326b496b94f693f7bf732ef8c.png
They serve a purpose; private/share, local/online, offline ...

Tags are the primary resource for organizing notes
The Windows/Mac platforms support a hierarchical tree structure and organizing tags

Evernote doesn't support "Folders"; I find the tag methodology works well.
For example, instead of filing an Insurance document in folder/subfolder/subfolder/....
Assign tag:Insurance

>>guidelines regarding saving customer contacts

Evernote is a generic filing tool, so there's nothing special about contacts.
I would identify the contact note with both a company and contact tag.
For example, I would have a master note titled   ?Brown, Stu
                                                                         tag: ??Contacts
                                                                         tag: ?BrownStu
                                                                         tag: ?Company-SomeCompany

>>im findign it hard to drill a search down can you point me in the right direction for searches andperhaps automating them with some kind of filter pop out?

The Windows/Mac platform display a tag tree structure in the sidebar
I also use a prefix naming standard so the hierarchy is reflected in the tagname.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, StuBrown said:

Great so maybe customer notebook contacts tag then company name tag

or would you bin the customer notebook and have the name tag company tag position for example

I would not have a company notebook; just the tags

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, StuBrown said:

So no Notebooks at all?

I have a default @Inbox notebook
                             Filing notebook

and a few notebooks for notes that are private, local, offline

Wow. Kind of reeling with the thought of only 2 notebooks but intrigued. What is you main document storage platform and do you use the same methodology there? I use iCloud as my main storage and have thought about using EN for that but haven’t made that jump. ICloud supports tags. 

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, StuBrown said:

So no Notebooks at all?

Well, you need to have at least one notebook, since every note belongs to a notebook. Some folks prefer to minimize notebook use; as @DTLow says: use them administrative usages like sharing, offline, local notebooks, etc, but not for organizational usages. It's a preference as to how far you want to go with it (or not).

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, silentquest said:

What is you main document storage platform and do you use the same methodology there? I use iCloud as my main storage and have thought about using EN for that but haven’t made that jump. ICloud supports tags

Evernote is my document storage platform; over 12,000 notes and 10GB
Storage is on the Evernote servers, with full copies on my Mac and iPad.

I backup to iCloud in html format.  It's quite functional, but I prefer Evernote.
I have not transferred the tags to the backup files, but I store a copy of the metadata appended to the note contents.  I can access the tags via search.

>>Kind of reeling with the thought of only 2 notebooks but intrigued.

Evernote provides two fields for note organization; Notebooks and Tags
I know the pros and cons of each field, and I select what's appropriate.
One of the primary pros for Tags is that multiple entries are allowed.
When assigning a Notebook, the note is locked in; no additional notebooks can be assigned

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, StuBrown said:

Just embarking on my limited notebook strategy - so the next question - can you save customer searches ?

Absolutely.  Saved searches are my standard process for document retrieval.   1075270250_ScreenShot2019-01-24at06_20_54.png.44306fd4ea318cf9453d9e9765acbd94.png
Also shortcuts to the searches.       337133609_ScreenShot2019-01-24at06_22_23.png.9071e6bd76b0f1c3312c07bf7a3c3290.png

There's documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005267-How-to-create-a-saved-search

Here are some examples from my processing  
Active Projects      tag:!Type-Project -Tag:!Archive   
Current Task List   reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:day+1 -reminderDoneTime:*

There's also a "filter by tag" concept.  1786930678_ScreenShot2019-01-24at06_02_52.png.d12a6862cdfbf73f60c036154616777f.png
For example, when I have the Active Projects note list, I can drill down to notes for the project.

• Level 5*
On 1/23/2019 at 2:36 AM, StuBrown said:

Guys , moving all my filing into evernote - however i followed some guidelines regarding saving customer contacts.

While I keep some key contacts in Evernote, they are all dups of my master contact list in MS Outlook.  Since everything in OL syncs with my iPhone/iPad, it makes it very easy to use.  For example, on Mac and iOS, it is easy to share or send documents to contacts that are stored in OL.  Neither the macOS nor iOS know anything about Evernote contacts.

Having said that, I use Evernote tags for Pseudo Notebooks (pNB) , and I have a tag for ".nb.Contacts" that I assign to all of my contacts in Evernote.  Then I assign one or more category tags (like "Client", "Vendor", "Business", "Personal", etc) to quickly find all contacts of a given category.

In OL, is use "Categories" like I use EN tags.

To help keep OL and EN in sync I do this:

1. First create the contact in OL
  2. Then right-click on the Contact and "Copy Contact Details" that I paste into the Evernote contact.
  3. In the OL Contact notes, I paste a EN Classic link to the En Note.

Unfortunately, there is no way I know of to automatically sync the data between OL and Evernote, so you just have to make sure that when you update one you update the other.  This is really not that big of a deal since contact info rarely changes.

Questions?

looks great - in particular the reminder dates - i assume this is for scheduling - exactly what I'm trying to use evernote for as well. I assume this can create a todo list of notes when run.

Anything else im missing -

for example

I have 5 spreadsheets which are quotes to one customer - it seems to take an age to open them. I assume these should be as single notes?

Contacts

I have a master spreadhseet from gmail - saved in EN - i export and manage it this way - a little bit by a little bit. be good to know how to share it into OL

Archived