Previously clipped indicator.

Richard Fortune

Idea

Would i be possible to have the webclipper give a visual cue that it already has a copy of a specific URL "clipped" - sometimes when I try to clip a page I switch focus before waiting to see the "success" prompt from the webclipping client. I often then close all tabs to switch context to another task and as a result don't recall if I'd loaded a given page into my Evernote notebook. 

It would be great to see a visual cue that a page has previously been clipped. Helpful in scenarios where the clipper seems to have failed, but actually succeeded. 

A green dot could be overlaid on the chrome extension icon for exact doc matches and maybe an amber for partial/incomplete matches? 

Thanks!

6 replies to this idea

I agree. I hesitate to use Evernote to manage my actual bookmarks, because there is no easy way for me to tell if I've already clipped(bookmarked) the page or not. When using Firefox's internal bookmark system the star in the URL bar goes from being just an outline to a filled (blue) star on a page that has been already bookmarked. 

This creates ambiguity between where I saved the information; did I clip it to Evernote or did I just bookmark it in Firefox?

• Level 5

So what ?

In the end you have 2 copies of the same article, where is the fuzz ?

But checking would cause a waiting time before you could clip, and this in ANY clipping process: WebClipper needs to identify the URL, send it to the EN server, there a search is needed, the result (yes/no) has to be send back to the webclipper, and a user dialogue follows („The site has already been clipped - are you sure ? Y/N“). A local database would not do, because many (at least I) clip form several computers and browsers.

Nothing of that would make sure that the real content behind the URL is still the same (which means a duplicate), or has been modified meanwhile, meaning you would miss new content under an old URL.

A bookmark is something else: It is just the URL, nothing more, and allows you to find back to content, that may still be the same, or that may have been modified. Quite a lot of my bookmarks are there to find my way back to content that is permanently modified, like this forum.

Mainly because this proposal would slow down my clipping process waiting for the server check, I am opposed to it.

• Level 5

And where will the visual indicator from ? No out of thin air, I can assure you. It makes it necessary to keep a archive of the URLs somewhere, and compare the URL to-be-clipped with this archive.

OK, so I switch it off. You know how software is called where this „switch this on, switch that off“ is the standard ? Bloatware, and in the end it is unmanageable. Right where EN got over the years, and is now trying to pull back again.

still „-1“ from my side for this proposal (which the voting system does not allow).

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

It makes it necessary to keep a archive of the URLs somewhere

Evernote has this covered - source url is a searchable metadata field

Pink elephant - while I appreciate your opinion, and respect your right to vote as you see fit. Your assumed technical understanding of what it would take to enable this seems to be out of sync (see what I did there??) with modern implementations of this kind of feature. If you're vetoing it because of the technical roadblocks you imagine existing then I'd recommend you read up on technologies like elastisearch. Elastisearch could easily work with the URL, it could even work on the entire page content to catch deltas. But, let's be clear I'm not looking to solution this for Evernote. Only they know the context with which they make business decisions. And all I wanted to do was raise a suggestion to them for consideration. 

To restate my request - I'd like to know if I'm clipped a page so that I can clip indiscriminately. This behaviour enables me to use Evernote as my backup brain, creating vast maps of related content for future processing. The benefits to Evernote are that the more I do this the harder it is for me to leave their product and as a result the lifetime value of me as a customer goes up. Being able to use their product as a 2nd brain also opens up future possibilities to add more value to their platform.  

Your community scoring indicates you spend a lot more time here than I do, which is nice. I'm not interested in getting in to a sword fight with you about a problem I'd be interested in EN addressing in some way.