Moving from note to note in Thumbnail View

If I have Thumbnail View set with enough width to show two or more note thumbnails horizontally in a row, how do I move continuously from note to note in the current sort sequence (that is, in the order in which the thumbnails are displayed)?  The forward and backward arrows in the toolbar don't do that; they go to the previous or next note I've already viewed.  A right arrow will take me from thumbnail to thumbnail (and therefore note to note) across the current row, but it stops at the end of the row, instead of moving down to the next row and continuing along.  Down arrow skips to the next row, but only to the first thumbnail in it.  Surely there's a keyboard method for simply going from note 1, to note 2, to note 3, to note 4, but I can't figure out what it might be.  Help appreciated!

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, RobertJSawyer said:

The forward and backward arrows in the toolbar don't do that; they go to the previous or next note I've already viewed.

These arrows take you forward and back in your note history, much like in a web browser (same functionality as Alt+ArrowLeft and Alt+ArrowRIght). I don't know of any other way to move from note to note in Thumbnail (or Snipper or Card) view except to click on a thumbnail in the list, and use the ArrowUp or ArrowDown keys to more backwards or forwards, but only for a 1 thumbnail wide row; for 2+ thumbnail rows, there is evidently no way (I tried Ctrl+Shift+<arrows> and Ctrl+Alt+<arrows>, etc.)

• Level 5
14 hours ago, jefito said:

I don't know of any other way to move from note to note in Thumbnail (or Snipper or Card) view except to click on a thumbnail in the list, and use the ArrowUp or ArrowDown keys to more backwards or forwards, but only for a 1 thumbnail wide row; for 2+ thumbnail rows, there is evidently no way (I tried Ctrl+Shift+<arrows> and Ctrl+Alt+<arrows>, etc.)

Hmm. I use Thumbnail view, with two columns (i.e., each row is 2 thumbnails wide). I easily move from note to note with the Left/Right and Up/Down arrows. The same is true if I expand the Note List panel to 3 or 4 columns. Perhaps this ease of use has been improved out of more recent versions? ;)

• Level 5
15 hours ago, RobertJSawyer said:

A right arrow will take me from thumbnail to thumbnail (and therefore note to note) across the current row, but it stops at the end of the row, instead of moving down to the next row and continuing along.  Down arrow skips to the next row, but only to the first thumbnail in it.

Robert, I took a more careful look at what you're reporting, and this is what I see also. Perhaps I spoke too hastily in my previous post. Right Arrow moves to the next note across, to the end of the row (2 notes), then no further, as you say. Down Arrow will then move to the note immediately below the current one, i.e., the note at the end of the next row. That seems reasonable to me for Down. But it certainly would be nice for Left/Right Arrow to loop to the next position in the next row. That is the behavior in Card View, so it seems bizarre for it not to work in Thumbnail.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  As a thought - how about Select All for the Notes,  then Presentation Mode?  That would allow you to work through a list item by item using the mouse or keyboard - though you won't necessarily be able to see all the content of each note...

• 2 months later...

Archived