OCR'ed by scanner into Evernote, searchable?

Coderedpl

Hello,

These questions are based on the fact that I use the Basic version/subscription. 

I read somewhere here that in order for Evernote to OCR pdf's or other files, you need to have the premium subscription BUT the exception being if you OCR the document yourself. My scanner supports OCR conversion but it saves it to either a word or notepad file.

Hypothetically speaking, would attaching a word document to the Evernote 'note' make it searchable?

What if i converted said word file to PDF and attached the pdf to the "note"

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Coderedpl said:

I read somewhere here that in order for Evernote to OCR pdf's or other files, you need to have the premium subscription BUT the exception being if you OCR the document yourself. My scanner supports OCR conversion but it saves it to either a word or notepad file.

Hypothetically speaking, would attaching a word document to the Evernote 'note' make it searchable?

It's not official, but I also heard that ocr'd pdfs are searchable

The word document search is also a paid feature.  You would be better attaching a text file

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, Coderedpl said:

If you have your scanning software create OCRd PDFs they are searchable in EN with a Basic account.

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5

Addition: Most printing dialogues in Windows (sorry, yet no Mac in the house) create searchable pdf as a standard: Save-to-pdf in Office, OpenOffice, Print-to-pdf with Adobe, PDF-Complete etc. And many scanning apps have build-in OCR capability as well.

It should be easy to test with documents created through some of these applications if they are found when performing a search in a basic account. If yes, chances are good that searchable pdf will always be found, no matter where from.

Archived