Trash Syncs...WHY?

Lew

Idea

As a long time Evernote user I was surprised to discover recently that notes in the Trash sync up to the cloud and with all my devices.  This might be considered harmless by some, buy I have created notebooks that do not sync for security reasons and to have those notes sync upon deletion is not good.

At the very least, there should be a option for users to set syncing of the Trash notebook to on or off.  

Anyone agree?

Lew

13 replies to this idea

13 minutes ago, ruudhein said:

Deleted Local Notes stay local. I don't see them appear on my other devices, nor in the web version.

I wouldn't have posted my concern if that were the case...

Notes in Trash on my iPhone X, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro running the latest operating systems and Evernote version do sync.  Evernote Support confirms this behavior is normal and cannot currently be changed.  Support suggested I post the issue on this forum.

Lew

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Lew said:

I wouldn't have posted my concern if that were the case...

Notes in Trash on my iPhone X, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro running the latest operating systems and Evernote version do sync.  Evernote Support confirms this behavior is normal and cannot currently be changed.  Support suggested I post the issue on this forum.

Lew

Weird.  I am with @ruudhein, I have never had a local note get synced from my desktop to another device.  Just tested it again.  To be sure, you have a note in trash on your macbook with a local notebook in the notebook column that appears on another device?

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Weird.  I am with @ruudhein, I have never had a local note get synced from my desktop to another device.  Just tested it again.  To be sure, you have a note in trash on your macbook with a local notebook in the notebook column that appears on another device?

It is weird...  To double check I duplicated an old brokerage statement on my MacBook Pro then deleted the copy.  It appears in Trash on my laptop and synced over to my iPad.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Lew said:

It is weird...  To double check I duplicated an old brokerage statement on my MacBook Pro then deleted the copy.  It appears in Trash on my laptop and synced over to my iPad.

Not to insult, but sure that the note was in a local notebook?  Could it be a Mac thing? 

1 hour ago, CalS said:

Not to insult, but sure that the note was in a local notebook?  Could it be a Mac thing?

No insult taken..  My Brokerage Statements notebook is definitely local.  It appears only in Evernote on my MacBook Pro.

I'm wondering if an uninstall / reinstall is in order.  Won't have time to deal with this until after the 1st, but I just may give it a try.

• Level 5*

47 minutes ago, Lew said:

I duplicated an old brokerage statement.....My Brokerage Statements notebook is definitely local

And looking at the actual note in the Trash, it shows the Brokerage Statements notebook?

Could the duplication have created the copy in a different notebook?

Is it just Trash, or do you have other "Local" notes being sync'd?

23 minutes ago, DTLow said:

And looking at the actual note in the Trash, it shows the Brokerage Statements notebook?

Could the duplication have created the copy in a different notebook?

Yes, the the Brokerage Statements notebook name is shown at the bottom left of the note panel.  The notebook name is also listed correctly in the information panel along with the note name, dates, etc.

The duplicate appeared just above the original within the correct notebook when it was created.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Lew said:

As a long time Evernote user I was surprised to discover recently that notes in the Trash sync up to the cloud and with all my devices.  This might be considered harmless by some, buy I have created notebooks that do not sync for security reasons and to have those notes sync upon deletion is not good.

Notes in Trash on my iPhone X, iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro running the latest operating systems and Evernote version do sync.  Evernote Support confirms this behavior is normal and cannot currently be changed.

This is true, the "Trash" assignment has no impact on syncing.

It's the "Local Notebook" assignment that impacts syncing.  (Notes in Trash continue to have a notebook assignment)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Lew said:

No insult taken..  My Brokerage Statements notebook is definitely local.  It appears only in Evernote on my MacBook Pro.

I'm wondering if an uninstall / reinstall is in order.  Won't have time to deal with this until after the 1st, but I just may give it a try.

Hmm, and it appears in trash on your phone.  That would be worthy of a bug report.  Local notes are not supposed to make it to the web in any form.  I know I see notes from local notebooks in my PC trash, but never in my iPhone trash.  Reinstall can't hurt, not sure it will fix the issue.

Tested it on a Mac too and can't get a local note to sync, whether in Trash or not. And that is how it is supposed to work, according to Evernote:

when you delete a note from a local notebook, that note will not become synced.

Instead of a creating a duplicate, go into your local notebook and create a new local note there. Sync. Then Trash it, then sync again.

My guess is that it is a particular note that is appearing, maybe one that was shared with you or someone else. 

15 hours ago, ruudhein said:

Instead of a creating a duplicate, go into your local notebook and create a new local note there. Sync. Then Trash it, then sync again.

My guess is that it is a particular note that is appearing, maybe one that was shared with you or someone else. 

Gave your suggestion a try with the same results.  The note synced.

Thanks to everyone who suggested diagnostic tests.  I'm hoping an uninstall / reinstall will be effective.

I wish Evernote support had taken my message to them more seriously rather than just suggesting I post here.  I don't know how I could have been more clear about the issue I was experiencing:

Hello... Is it possible to turn off trash syncing? I find no good reason to sync trash among my MacBook Pro and my iOS devices. Also, I have notebooks that do not sync for security reasons yet when I delete a note from one of those notebooks it ends up syncing in the trash...not good.

You (may) know how it goes with support systems; the people doing it aren't always intimately familiar with the product they're supporting.

Maybe reach out again, open a ticket, and include a link to that Evernote help page that states this is not how it should work.

Keep us up to date!

Archived