The amount of bugs I run into is unacceptable

I've kept my mouth shut, saying surely they'll get fixed in the next version. 3 versions later, it's just getting worse. I've lost hours of work or otherwise wasted time on just trying to work around bugs found in things way too simple to have any sort of bugs in them.

I don't want to waste more of my life typing this so I'll just paste the ticket I sent. I'm keeping my hopes really low at this point.

Has anyone else run into these bugs or am I alone here?

Hello,
I'm a fairly new Evernote user and at the beginning, I fell in love with Evernote. It made life so much easier and it's a very well-made and elegant program.
Over time however, it became clear that I simply can't recommend Evernote to anyone. It's been infuriating and downright maddening at times because of how many bugs there are.

For example, I just lost hours of work just because the note I'm writing in randomly decides to make 90% of the pictures (screenshots) I added to just disappear for no ***** reason.
Page lines ("rules") randomly decide to not show up sometimes, or only if I insert 2 lines before them (???).
Evernote also randomly decides to undo any font size changes I've done in the whole note because why not.
Bullet lists can be infuriating to get to work properly instead of randomly break.
Images randomly decide to not want to annotate. They also reset to their original size after I do annotate them, or do anything to them really. Why not?

As you can see I'm very infuriated with the app due to the hours I've lost simply trying to use a massively popular app with undoubtedly a large dedicated team, only to find that it acts like a beta app made by an indie company. I'm a paying customer who may have to demand a refund if nothing can be done about this.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I admire your patience,  because I gave up creating long multi-pic documents and lists directly in Evernote years ago. 

The trick of using any software - it seems to me - is in recognising the strengths and weaknesses of each app,  and maybe using more than one for a given task. 

I tend to use a 'proper' word processor (forinstance) to create any long documents - and then attach the file,  with an executive summary or keywords,  to an Evernote note so that 1) I can find it with a search,  and 2) it's available wherever I need to access it. 

I use Workflowy for lists of all kinds and TickTick for a calendar and project manager.  I can copy and paste lists to Evernote if I need to,  or Workflowy shows my account wherever there's network access.

Evernote saves and finds all sorts of files and notes very effectively,  and glues my system together as a centralised searchable index of resources and information.

It doesn't - amongst many other things - lay out pages with defined image sizes: that's not a 'bug',  it's just something the app wasn't intended to provide.

59 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  I admire your patience,  because I gave up creating long multi-pic documents and lists directly in Evernote years ago. 

The trick of using any software - it seems to me - is in recognising the strengths and weaknesses of each app,  and maybe using more than one for a given task. 

I tend to use a 'proper' word processor (forinstance) to create any long documents - and then attach the file,  with an executive summary or keywords,  to an Evernote note so that 1) I can find it with a search,  and 2) it's available wherever I need to access it. 

I use Workflowy for lists of all kinds and TickTick for a calendar and project manager.  I can copy and paste lists to Evernote if I need to,  or Workflowy shows my account wherever there's network access.

Evernote saves and finds all sorts of files and notes very effectively,  and glues my system together as a centralised searchable index of resources and information.

It doesn't - amongst many other things - lay out pages with defined image sizes: that's not a 'bug',  it's just something the app wasn't intended to provide.

Thank you for your comment.

What you said about recognising strengths and weaknesses of any app can be very true at times, but then I think about all the apps I use that fit my needs perfectly and completely, so I don't think it excuses Evernote's flaws.

I've grown accustomed to word processing in Evernote and I actually much prefer having one app that can cover all my lecture notes. I suppose it's clear that this can't be the case so I guess I'll start using good old Microsoft Word and copy-pasting the notes back to Evernote (unless that still breaks everything...in which case I'll go back to OneNote).

I'm interested in what word processor you use in case I decide to do that. And thanks again for the reply!

• Level 5*

You got it already - I use Word (and MS Office) for ordinary 'cooking' WP like letters, articles, presentations,  and less often MS Publisher for laying out pages,  newsletters and formal reports.  I found there's no such thing as a 'one stop' app - I use third party stuff for emails, pictures, mind maps, projects...  Like many people I say Evernote is the center of my day,  and runs both personal and business stuff;  but in reality it's a main hub that connects together everything else that I use!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, louay.md said:

I'm interested in what word processor you use in case I decide to do that.

Evernote's editor is fine for basic notes but I use dedicated editors when I need extended features.

Word/Pages for word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, ...

Evernote works well with office/iwork documents

• 8 months later...
On 12/18/2017 at 9:17 PM, DTLow said:

Evernote's editor is fine for basic notes but I use dedicated editors when I need extended features.

I actually disagree with this statement.  Some of the most annoying bugs I have endured through the versions of Evernote have been while working on "basic notes." The newest one I am dealing with is the latest v6.14 of the Windows app removes leading spaces when pasting content over selected text.  Even pasting content copied from the same note.  That's removing leading spaces OUTSIDE of the selected text area being pasted into.  I was ecstatic that they finally fixed the jumpy "selective focus" bug that has been hanging around for years.  Now I see even more bugs than pre-v6.14.  I am giving them one new version upgrade to iron out these things, and then I am stepping up my search for something less buggy and not profit-focused.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Marky D. said:

I actually disagree with this statement.

Ok, maybe "fine for basic notes" might be questionable, but my point was not the tool for serious word processing.  Can we agree on that?

• 7 months later...

Of course Evernote is not a full-fledged word processor. Synchronization bugs being so prevalent and losing your work being so likely, neither is It a full-fledged cloud app... so what is it then?

Not to mention, in all the years I have had my account, not only has it gotten worse, also hasn't kept the pace with other similar apps or improved in any significant way.

Archived