Remove all formatting does not remove tables

Leos Literak

Idea

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I tried this in the current Windows client, 6.9.6.6729. I noted the following:

* if you select text (not cells) in a table, then Ctrl+Shift+Space will remove the formatting from the selected text

* if you select one or more cells, then Ctrl+Shift+Space removes formatting from the text in all of the table's cells

* if , you just have the cursor anywhere in a note with no selection (including in a table cell), then formatting is removed from all text in the note.

Note that link formatting (blue underscore, clickability) is preserved with Ctrl+Shift+Space, as are bullets and checkboxes. Ctrl+Shift+Space then appears to act only on formatting specific to a piece of text, and not structural formatting like tables and lists.

I don't know of a single operation that removes a table but leaves the content, but you can fake it by selecting all cells in the table, and then using the little dropdown arrow at the top right, select "Merge cells". You should wind up with a single celled table with all of your content present. Select that, and copy/move it elsewhere, and delete the table. 

On 2/21/2018 at 8:35 PM, jefito said:

I don't know of a single operation that removes a table but leaves the content, but you can fake it by selecting all cells in the table, and then using the little dropdown arrow at the top right, select "Merge cells". You should wind up with a single celled table with all of your content present. Select that, and copy/move it elsewhere, and delete the table. 

Hi Jeff, I have never seen any dropdown arrow that gives table options, I'm even having troubles seeing any table or cell contours (I'm on the latest version, currently 6.10). Where do you see this?

@jefito, Can you reply to @Siska?   He wrote:  "Hi Jeff, I have never seen any dropdown arrow that gives table options, I'm even having troubles seeing any table or cell contours..."  I have that same experience, using 6.17.6.8292 (and every previous version) on Windows.
I'm not talking about tables I create within Evernote.  I'm talking about webpage contents including tables that I copy and paste into Evernote.   

• Like 1

When you clip content from blogs and other websites, the page is often arranged using tables. Sadly evernote transfers the content including the tables when clipping, and the tables are not removed when you choose "Simplify formatting". Most of all, these tables are invisible, and make your formatting and editing behave unpredictable, ***** up your notes.

I would really like the ability to make these tables visible, to remove rows or columns from them and to remove the tables alltogether (without removing the content in them).

• Level 5

Once webcontent is copied into EN, it is sort of frozen. You can edit, but it will not lead to a „clean“ residue of content. Often you find parts that are not editable at all, or only together with other parts that you would like to keep.

EN is not a web editor, which would be needed to decompose the HTML-code that contains the content.

If you want to have content without format, try to clip the page in the simplified form, or if possible choose the reader view of a page before clipping. Another trick is to print the page to a pdf, and insert this into EN. From a printed pdf, text content can be extracted.

I always clip in the simplified form, but that doesn't help. 

And if I first have to save the page to a pdf and then add that pdf into Evernote, what's left of the advantage of having a web clipping tool? Just make formatting more visible in the editor, like it's done in other content editors. It would solve so many problems.

About the webcontent being "frozen" into Evernote, that's an evolution I don't like at all. If you insist on moving more and more towards some advanced screenshot tool, then I'll move on to something else...

Well, I thought this was a feature request forum, hence the plea to add the possibility to remove tables. But I guess I was wrong 🙄

(edit) I also should apologise, because I mistakenly took you for an Evernote employee, hence my disappointed reaction. I do appreciate you trying to help and offer workarounds, it's only the direction Evernote is apparently taking that worries me.

So thank you for helping, and hopefully someone at Evernote takes these feature requests at heart.

Edited by Siska
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, Siska said:

When you clip content from blogs and other websites, the page is often arranged using tables. ..

I would really like the ability to make these tables visible, to remove rows or columns from them and to remove the tables alltogether (without removing the content in them).

Evernote is not a great tool to edit the HTML content from web pages

On my Mac, I use a text editor (Textastic) and edit the content.enml file directly.

>>Well, I thought this was a feature request forum, hence the plea to add the possibility to remove tables.

Yes it is, and you'll see the table request at the top.  You can indicate your support using the voting button at the top left corner.

You're posting in the discussion area for the request.

The request does not need to be reposted

• Level 5

Employees carry a badge with STAFF written all over.

The rest of us are users, sharing experience and sometimes emotions.

And yes, this is a feature request, so you are free to contribute and you may vote. Voting is at top of the page, just click the black arrow.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

A big problem here is that Evernote's note content (ENML) isn't a full equivalent to HTML (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), and its editing capabilities are tailored towards editing only ENML content, and not full HTML. Moreover, in the web clipping process, HTML must be translated to more-or-less equivalent ENML, so it's not going to be an exact replica of the original web page.

Anyways, the ability to remove the tables while retaining the cell content is a fair request, and actually something I'd find useful. Upvoted.

• Thanks 1