Link files and folders on Finder to Evernote

Guys, imagine you have that massive folder tree with tons of slides, videos, etc. sorted out by topics. Finding the right thing may be a problem, especially without tags. So the Big question 1) Is it possible to link each file and folder in my Finder (Mac) to the Evernote 2) If yes, can you explain with screenshots how exactly it works? with/ without Google drive? 

Thanks a lot!! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 hours ago, Sergey Kuzin said:

So the Big question 1) Is it possible to link each file and folder in my Finder (Mac) to the Evernote 2) If yes, can you explain with screenshots how exactly it works? with/ without Google drive? 

Yes, linking to files/folders is possible; and recommended for larger files

The first step is to copy the pathname for the file59fd1560e74ea_ScreenShot2017-11-03at17_56_49.png.344319727e15dbff3c57f3c8cadec6bd.png
In Finder, rignt click on the file/folder
Hold down the option key
Click on copy pathname

In the note, select the text for the link,
Right-Click
Select Link > Add

Paste the copied pathname
Prefix with file://
Click OK

59fd158ca2ada_ScreenShot2017-11-03at17_59_16.png.0f6d2b67459bb74ac91a7ed83d22f2d1.png  59fd159a9509a_ScreenShot2017-11-03at18_00_27.png.f83f146cd93ef48a768afe62132e29e9.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

What a great tip!

Unfortunately I just get a dialog that Evernote don't have permission to open the folders or files I tested. I am admin on my Mac (macOS Sierra). I'm running a Swedish version of macOS, but I guess that file:// would still be a valid prefix.

Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
On 2017-11-05 at 9:04 AM, RMK said:

Unfortunately I just get a dialog that Evernote don't have permission to open the folders or files I tested. I am admin on my Mac (macOS Sierra). I'm running a Swedish version of macOS, but I guess that file:// would still be a valid prefix.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone found any solutions? I have a pdf file which opens fine in Evernote with this file-path:
file:///Applications/Utilities/System Information.app/Contents/Resources/ProductGuides/ENERGY STAR.pdf

And this path does not work ("Evernote does not have permissions"):

file:////Users/sm/OneDrive/Komme i gang med OneDrive.pdf

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
12 minutes ago, puckfel said:

Not sure what you were trying to show.

If you hold down the option key, you get a Copy Pathname

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Here is a not so elegant solution but it works...

• Right click on your file to copy the path, then hold down the OPT key while contextual menu is still open
  • Open a rich text TextEdit document and paste the path, ad add a "File://" to the prefix
  • CMD-A and CMD-C to Copy the whole path, and CMD-K and CMD-V to paste the path as a link
  • Save the TextEdit file . I used "Mac File Path"
  • Double click the embedded file for quick access to the file location

Not pretty but it works.

Oh Evernote the love/hate relationship we have. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.49.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.03.30 AM.png

• Like 1