Recognize business cards

OrbWeaver

Idea

I've been "Premium" for a few years and I've scanned tons of business cards. There's nothing special here, the scans are just another photo/image the same as if I attached an external JPG file. It would be great if EN had a mode where you could tell it you were scanning a business card and it would crop it properly and (I wish!) recognize the fields. I know this is supposed to be a feature of "Premium" but an image in a note is just an image, is an image, is an image. How about treating it as a business card?

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, OrbWeaver said:

It would be great if EN had a mode where you could tell it you were scanning a business card and it would crop it properly and (I wish!) recognize the fields. I know this is supposed to be a feature of "Premium" but an image in a note is just an image, is an image, is an image. How about treating it as a business card?

As you pointed out, this is already an Evernote feature

While scanning, the business card is cropped; the image is ocr’d; and fields are recognized

Documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005777-How-to-use-your-phone-to-scan-business-cards-into-Evernote

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I've been "Premium" for a few years and I've scanned tons of business cards. There's nothing special here, the scans are just another photo/image the same as if I attached an external JPG file. It would be great if EN had a mode where you could tell it you were scanning a business card and it would crop it properly and (I wish!) recognize the fields. I know this is supposed to be a feature of "Premium" but an image in a note is just an image, is an image, is an image. How about treating it as a business card?

Don't know if you have an iPhone, but you can get a properly cropped image and OCRd info build into a note if you take a picture of a card.  Not sure about Android version.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.png.a432de310fa6d2595bab22020f17bd39.png

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

6 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

It would be great if EN had a mode where you could tell it you were scanning a business card and it would crop it properly and (I wish!) recognize the fields. I know this is supposed to be a feature of "Premium" but an image in a note is just an image, is an image, is an image. How about treating it as a business card?

As you pointed out, this is already an Evernote feature

While scanning, the business card is cropped; the image is ocr’d; and fields are recognized

Documentation at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005777-How-to-use-your-phone-to-scan-business-cards-into-Evernote

Been there, done that. Just did it twice more and got two notes with 3264 x 2448  images in them. Used a white card on a black desk and while the photos are great (brand new Galaxy Note 8) they are still just images. No OCR was done, no fields defined, no editing other than the usual annotation on the images. That's what EN has been doing for years. There's nothing at all that I've found in Evernote that makes any mention of "Contacts" other than the sales pitches that have always promoted this phantom business card ability.

Here's a screenshot of the resulting note my "business card" camera gives me. It's just an image as far as I can tell. The original image is 3024 x 4032 pixels (W x H) and I can't see any indication that anything has been OCR'd or recognized in any way. It sure doesn't look anything like the display in the tutorial.

F1.JPG

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

It's just an image as far as I can tell.

That’s what I’m seeing with your post; it’s a simple image of the business card

I’m not an Android user and can’t help much.  How did you obtain the photo?  Just to confirm, to obtain the image

In Evernote,  tap + > Camera (Android).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, OrbWeaver said:

Here's a screenshot of the resulting note my "business card" camera gives me.

The note above was created on the iPhone using the add note camera option.  I do not "click'  the picture.  I hold the phone in place and EN recognizes the card and does the "clicking". after a few seconds.  EN auto recognizes the image as a business card and displays that format on the phone where edits can be made.  Saving as is automatically set to Business Card, I think.  There are other options for Saving As which are Photo, Document, Color Document, Post-It Note.  

Are you letting EN take the pic?

OrbWeaver,

please confirm iPhone or Android. I echo csihilling, i tell the app to take a photo and let it recognize in Document setting that it is a business card, then it asks if I want to save as Business Card, document or photo. When I select business card, it recognizes all of the fields and creates a contact (with the permission settings on). 

Can you walk us through exactly how you are doing it and what setting you have in the app?

IMG_9075.PNG

12 hours ago, macneilpi said:

please confirm iPhone or Android

This is Android. I've tried versions 5, 6, and 7 on various phones. EN does exactly the same thing when it comes to photos.

it asks if I want to save as Business Card, document or photo

Mine does not ask anything, it just brings up the camera.

When I select business card,

I do not get any "selection," I can tell it to shoot or quit. Shoot gives me a photo.

Can you walk us through exactly how you are doing it and what setting you have in the app?

I tap the "Plus" button, select the camera icon, and there's the camera. No options (other than the standard camera App options.) This is not any special "Evernote" camera that comes up, it is just the normal Samsung (or whatever make of phone) camera application that comes with the phone. Is there some special Evernote Camera application? I search for Evernote and get lots of hits but nothing about any camera.

I'm getting the impression that EN is for Apple. Windows and Android are second class citizens in the EN world and must just get by with whatever scraps are tossed our way. After years of "Premium" payments and no intention of moving to Apple, it may be time to throw in the towel and go the Microsoft route. My needs are very simple yet I haven't seen a bug-free EN build since 6.3.3. Text of various sizes and fonts, an image thrown in at the top of a note, and a PDF attachment or three, are all I do. I tried tables but they never rendered well on mobile so I don't even use them. This talk of business cards got me thinking there might be an easier way than manually typing the information, but it does not look like the Android version of EN has that ability even though I'm getting charged for it.

Fortunately (?) I have Office 2016 (full version) and Office 365, for my desk and laptop respectively, and OneNote on the mobiles renders everything much better than EN does. There's only about 1000 notes to convert and my EN subscription still has 6 months on it, so I have lots of time to get the conversion done. I'll miss EN but it just doesn't seem to be aimed at the hardware environment I occupy. WinDroid is an afterthought.

btw.

I tried the Apple route last year and bought a pair of iPhones (the SE model). The iPhone was so limited in general file handling ability that I sold them both and went back to BlackBerry (Priv and DTEK60.) Now that BB is all-but-dead, I have a Samsung S8+ and a Samsung Galaxy Note8 (just got it 2 days ago.)

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, OrbWeaver said:

I'm getting the impression that EN is for Apple. Windows and Android are second class citizens in the EN world and must just get by with whatever scraps are tossed our way.

And here I was thinking Windows was the favored pplatform.

Regadless, business card scanning is a feature your paying for and should be working on your Android device

I would open a support ticket at https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

I had same problem with my new SGN8 camera not recognizing business cards. I found it surprising since this same premium feature worked flawlessly with my SGN4 and SGN7. I was frustrated to find no app update nor anything anywhere to address this issue nor state the SGN8 and android 7.1.1 do not work with the Evernote business card feature. Resetting camera settings did not work. SOLUTION: UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL EVERNOTE. My Evernote now works flawlessly again, actually better than ever due to the best ever SGN8 camera. 

Archived