Geeknote

dflamholc

Hi, hope this is the right place to ask this.

Is anyone here aware of Geeknote for Evernote? Its a python based app for accessing Evernote through command line. It's currently at v01 i think but haven't been updated for some time.

I have written a python plugin for a 3D app I'm using on a daily basis for my work, which collects data from a 3D scene and uploads it as a note to evernote with checkboxes lists etc. 

This increases efficiency massively in my work as I'm able to very quickly bring myself up to date on files I haven't looked at for a while, but having to go back to for updates on client request etc.

I'm wondering if this accessibility is something Evernote is going to continue to support or even possibly provide themselves in the near future?

I'd be sad to see this accessibility not being available in the near future for whatever reason.

https://github.com/VitaliyRodnenko/geeknote

thanks, david

• Level 5*

Hi.  In addition to not commenting on upcoming developments,  Evernote tend to have a typical 'big company' attitude to user software - if a change to their code stops it working,  that's just tough.  Their roadmap is their roadmap,  and they'll keep right on tweaking regardless of any unintended changes.

So I'm afraid AFAIK there's no intended changes one way or the other,  but we'll find out if and when they happen.  No forecasts,  no reassurances available...

• Level 5*

Hi.  In addition to not commenting on upcoming developments,  Evernote tend to have a typical 'big company' attitude to user software - if a change to their code stops it working,  that's just tough.  Their roadmap is their roadmap,  and they'll keep right on tweaking regardless of any unintended changes.

So I'm afraid AFAIK there's no intended changes one way or the other,  but we'll find out if and when they happen.  No forecasts,  no reassurances available...

• Level 5*

This is nothing to do with "big company attitude". If you (or GeekNote) is using the Evernote API, that is still supported, as far as I know. The Evernote clients use it, after all. Geeknote is not an Evernote product, and Evernote isn't responsible for its maintenance. If the Evernote API changed in such a way that broke GeekNote (and we have no idea whether it did or not without examining its code base), then the GeekNote developer needs to make changes in their code.

@jefito I agree, point taken. I'm completely aware of how developers of third party apps/utils, are responsible for their own products.

My response comment to the 'big company' attitude is out of place here and was referring to more direct issues I've had with Evernote (which should not be discussed here). 

My initial question was really intended to see if other users here had any experience with GeekNote and if so, if they perhaps knew more about it than I do. I'm curious as to whether Evernote might or might not provide similar features 'out of the box' in the future. As @gazumped suggested - we probably won't know until it happens.

I'm still very keen to hear if anyone out there is using GeekNote ;)

• Level 5*

I will confess to wishing that ENScript.exe (the Windows command-line utility) had more functionality, some scriptability approaching what you can do on the Mac (fro what I've heard)

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, dflamholc said:

@jefito just read up on ENScript.exe.  Looks very interesting 

Well, somewhat interesting; I've used it to script backups, which you should do on a notebook-by-notebook basis. But it just seems as though it could be oh so much more...

• 1 year later...

Archived