IOS v8 speed

• Level 5*

Two items in my speed experience to date with this release on the iPad:

1. After selecting a note in the note list it takes 4-5 seconds for the note to display.  It is the same for a note in an offline notebook. 
  2. When switching back to EN from another appit takes 8-10 seconds before any action can be taken.

It is painful versus v7.  My iPhone on the other hand is instantaneous as before.  Anyone else having similiar experiences?

I have the exact same problem...!

iPhone 5S
Version 10.2
4gb memory available
Deletion of last version prior to download of version 8.0
Rebooted iPhone

After waiting hours for it to stabilize and complete indexing/downloads...

1) The note list scrolling is a pain and even on offline notebooks is jerky and completely stops and hangs for about 12+ seconds mostly when exiting from the note editor.

2) When entering a note the app the load up is a quite slow compared to last version even on offline notebooks.

3) the offline notebooks (partial, not all) loading took many long minutes (more than an hour, counting the in-app time) for a total of about 1000 notes. In that time the activity indicator at the status bar was on (when app was running).

4) the app hangs and jitters; all of the above happens even with a small offline notebooks already fully in memory!

5) when entering/going back to the app sometimes it hangs even if the current screen was the account screen!

In terms of stability comparing with last version on a 5S, this is really bad.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Quantum said:

iPhone 5S
Version 10.2

Perhaps not exactly the same.  My new speed issue is on my iPad Air.  My iPhone 6s is fine and has been.  Thanks for the feedback. 

• Level 5*

Are your iOS data flowers spinning at the top of the iPhone/ipad screen? If so, let that finish - which can take a while. Then try to use it.

I think what is happeing, with me at least, is I am using the app while it is doing stuff in the background.

7.x didn't have this issue. Either it would threaded better, or it didn't do so much in the background. Not sure what the culprit is, but 8.x definitely has issues here.

5 minutes ago, EdH said:

Are your iOS data flowers spinning at the top of the iPhone/ipad screen? If so, let that finish - which can take a while. Then try to use it.

I think what is happeing, with me at least, is I am using the app while it is doing stuff in the background.

7.x didn't have this issue. Either it would threaded better, or it didn't do so much in the background. Not sure what the culprit is, but 8.x definitely has issues here.

I still have the 12+ second hang on the scrolling after exiting the note editor; even after all the indexing/download and having stopped the overactive activity indicator.

Yes, I agree there must be some threading issues, it seems the UI thread is being blocked and not released and some syncronous waiting is happening after the note editor (wihout any change on the note whatsoever that would likely need a refresh on the note listing screen)

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, EdH said:

No spinning flowers.  Just closed EN with a swipe and it took at least 10 seconds before any pressing worked when I restarted.  I can select a note, wait 5 seconds for it to display, immediately select another notes and it takes 5 seconds for that note to display.  And this is for offline notebooks as well. Painfully repeatable.  

I thought it might have something to do with phoning home to try and prevent sync conflicts, but the lags are the same when I disconnect from the Internet.  

Anyhoo, my phone works fine.  Sweet mysteries of life.  

23 minutes ago, csihilling said:

No spinning flowers.  Just closed EN with a swipe and it took at least 10 seconds before any pressing worked when I restarted.  I can select a note, wait 5 seconds for it to display, immediately select another notes and it takes 5 seconds for that note to display.  And this is for offline notebooks as well. Painfully repeatable.  

I thought it might have something to do with phoning home to try and prevent sync conflicts, but the lags are the same when I disconnect from the Internet.  

Anyhoo, my phone works fine.  Sweet mysteries of life.  

Yes, this is consistent with my issue description as well.

There is some large seconds gap/hang happening when reentering the app and this is after the usual load 1/2 seconds time.

I thought it could be the "Reduce Motion as ON" option because it deals with iPhone Animations/Views but no luck there.

This is mostly an issue with UI thread locking up for an extra long job that should be forked off to background handling.

Very frustrating! The new UI is great and a long time coming, now we really need it to work! PLEASE!

On 1/19/2017 at 9:54 AM, Quantum said:

iPhone 5S
Version 10.2
4gb memory available
Deletion of last version prior to download of version 8.0
Rebooted iPhone

After waiting hours for it to stabilize and complete indexing/downloads...

1) The note list scrolling is a pain and even on offline notebooks is jerky and completely stops and hangs for about 12+ seconds mostly when exiting from the note editor.

2) When entering a note the app the load up is a quite slow compared to last version even on offline notebooks.

3) the offline notebooks (partial, not all) loading took many long minutes (more than an hour, counting the in-app time) for a total of about 1000 notes. In that time the activity indicator at the status bar was on (when app was running).

4) the app hangs and jitters; all of the above happens even with a small offline notebooks already fully in memory!

5) when entering/going back to the app sometimes it hangs even if the current screen was the account screen!

In terms of stability comparing with last version on a 5S, this is really bad.

Yup, perfect summary of the issues. No problem on my iPhone SE, it's like normal on there. iPad produces all of the above behaviors.

Archived