Copying Text Without Losing Formatting

Hello folks,

Firstly, I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this post but as it has to do with the desktop app I assumed it was. Mods, feel free to move it if need be.

I use the Evernote desktop to write first drafts of posts for my website. Once I'm happy with them I then copy the posts over to the website's post creator. However, in the copy/paste process some, if not all, of the formatting is lost. I'm just wondering if there is a way to ensure that this doesn't happen? I understand that it could be because I am copy/ pasting that I'm losing this, but I figured there is no harm in asking, right? :P

Cheers.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JoeMD said:

I then copy the posts over to the website's post creator. However, in the copy/paste process some, if not all, of the formatting is lost. I'm just wondering if there is a way to ensure that this doesn't happen? I understand that it could be because I am copy/ pasting that I'm losing this

Can we get more details on "the website's post creator"

Evernote works well with office format attachments and I'm thinking they might work better for the copy/paste process

• Level 5*

Evernote puts content on the clipboard in several formats, including HTML, which is what's most likely being used by your target application. You can see what's being put there using a clipboard viewer program. There are several free ones available; I'm using Free Clipboard Viewer 3.0 at the moment. This can help you to identify what's going on: it may be in the HTML that Evernote generates, and it may be in the way that your target application interprets that HTML. Hard to tell without specific examples where you think that the transfer is not happening correctly.

I've always had issues with Evernote losing formatting, especially with bullet points, ever since I've used the product (several years now) and have opened many cases hoping to get the issue resolved but it has never happened.  

For example when I copy the following....

·         BR getting scheduled

·         Larry and Ben are syncing up

o    Larry getting caught up on projects

It shows up like this in Evernote:

• BR getting scheduled
  • Larry and Ben are syncing up
    • Larry getting caught up on projects

If I take the following from Evernote....

• Idea to Product
    • customer conversations to find out what they are missing
    • how long in the future might they need it - sounds like we are beating them to it
    • gartner for market research
    • looking at what google, aws and amazon are doing / api

and paste it into a Word doc or email it shows up like....

• Idea to Product

·        

• customer conversations to find out what they are missing

• how long in the future might they need it - sounds like we are beating them to it

• gartner for market research

• looking at what google, aws and amazon are doing / api

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you look through the forums,  there are dozens of entries about formatting issues,  many including bullets.  Evernote currently just doesn't handle copying back and forth very well.  They're supposed to be improving the editor,  and things are actually better now than they used to be. (!)  But one major reason for the slow burn on this improvement has been that with software operating on several different platforms,  fixing one issue would have meant rewriting the core editor feature several times in different languages.  Evernote opted to write an common editor that worked -mostly- on all platforms,  so they could then upgrade that editor in one hit.  The CE was introduced to the last platform late last year,  so (fingers crossed) we should be in for some interesting features coming down the road fairly soon...

Archived