Penultimate w/Apple Pencil on iPad Pro 9.7"

jfkaess

I just got a new 9.7" iPad Pro and i am a long time Evernote Premium user. I'm thinking about getting an Apple Pencil for note taking. Since Penultimate directly integrates with Evernote along with making handwritten notes searchable, i'm wondering if anyone here has any concerns. I've heard that Penultimate with the Apple Pencil has had some issues since IOS 10 was released and i notice it has not been updated since IOS 10 came out. I'd appreciate any feedback before shelling out for an Apple Pencil. Is there going to be an update to Penultimate which supports IOS 10? Is Penultimate still a viable app?

• 2 months later...

It's worked pretty well for me on the same iPad you're using. There is a problem with notes' not reopening on the page you were on when you left the notebook, but on balance it works pretty well. It's a touch slow to transfer the file to Evernote.

I use an Apple Pencil with Penultimate and have been very happy with the performance.  The only glitch that I have seen is that on rare occasions, my resting hand comes onto the page and the pencil does not make a mark.  Just have to quickly repeat the stroke.  It is rare, and likely caused by me being left handed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, spacestationspaz said:

The only glitch I notice on the 12 inch pro is that "clipping" or the knife function is incomplete. It leaves traces of the clipped content behind/only clips partial penstrokes within the clipped area. I'd consider this a bug, but don't know where to report it.

Hi.  You just did...  thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Penultimate's palm rejection works poorly as I keep leaving dots on the screen where my hand rests, plus the lasso tool leaves little dots when you cut some writing. You still can't, after 4 years of requests, import PDFs into the app...

• 2 months later...

I've been having problem with using apple pencil with penultimate. Actually, in the past I'd had this problem with jot stylus too. I lost the precision of the tip of the apple pencil, resulting in writing that is annoyingly 2-3 mm off where I intend it to be.

Anyone has any ide how to fix this?

On 1/10/2017 at 8:18 PM, CaptBeatty said:

I use an Apple Pencil with Penultimate and have been very happy with the performance.  The only glitch that I have seen is that on rare occasions, my resting hand comes onto the page and the pencil does not make a mark.  Just have to quickly repeat the stroke.  It is rare, and likely caused by me being left handed.

I have the same problem, very rarely, and normally on the left margin of the page (within an inch of the edge). I sometimes have to skip writing to that space.

I hope it will be corrected one day but it's a small annoyance. General, Penultimate works better than any similar app I've tried.

• 1 month later...

June 2017 - also have problem with pieces of characters being left behind when you clip and move something using the Apple Pencil.  It would be nice so you can type and write in Penultimate as it's handwriting functionality with the Pencil is so much better than Evernote, but with Evernote, you can text, too.

Archived