Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

HOWTO: Best ways of backing up Evernote periodically

backup

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 hoppimike

hoppimike

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

Hi sorry, I know this has probably been covered a million times but I just can't work it out! I've done a lot of Google searches and stuff, and my life is now pretty much 100% organized on Evernote so I can't afford to lose it lol

I use Evernote Web (I can't use any desktop clients as my laptop runs Ubuntu) and Evernote for Android.

Basically, all I really want is a quick and easy way to completely back up my Evernote notes either to my laptop or to my phone, so that if something happens to any of them (for example, sometimes my phone would go wrong or a mistake would be made and I would quit the Evernote app while it saved, meaning I lost an entire note) I can restore it quickly and easily.

Thanks so much!

Mike :)
Evernote rules! ^^

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,152 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

There is no "backup" of the web client. The most sure fire way to backup your Evernote notes is to use either a Windows or Mac client, sync all your notes down from the EN servers & then backup the EN database. If your phone is supported by an EN client & allows "offline" notebooks & you're a premium user, you can do this as well. It's not as safe, IMO, because if you munged up a note, the phone may start to sync & the change you made to the note on the web client would be sync'd to the phone.

Premium users also have access to note history, which is only taken once about every eight hours. And of course, if you accidentally munged up several notes, it would be more difficult to recover this way than from a backup of a desktop client.

Personally, I would hesitate to have very important information in a web based client (as you are using it). At least when I'm using the Windows client, if the EN servers were completely down, for whatever reason, I still have access to my notes.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 hoppimike

hoppimike

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

There is no "backup" of the web client. The most sure fire way to backup your Evernote notes is to use either a Windows or Mac client, sync all your notes down from the EN servers & then backup the EN database. If your phone is supported by an EN client & allows "offline" notebooks & you're a premium user, you can do this as well. It's not as safe, IMO, because if you munged up a note, the phone may start to sync & the change you made to the note on the web client would be sync'd to the phone.

Premium users also have access to note history, which is only taken once about every eight hours. And of course, if you accidentally munged up several notes, it would be more difficult to recover this way than from a backup of a desktop client.

Personally, I would hesitate to have very important information in a web based client (as you are using it). At least when I'm using the Windows client, if the EN servers were completely down, for whatever reason, I still have access to my notes.

hm ok. I wonder if I can run the client through Wine on Ubuntu (it's a Windows emulator) or sometimes you can run Mac programs on Linux too. I really can't be bothered to install the whole of Windows on my laptop or dual boot or something just for Evernote backups! :)

I think they should provide a small backup facility built into the web client and ideally Android and that too - that would be very logical and useful!

Thanks for the help though - I'll try to get a desktop client working.

Oh, and for now I am a premium user, but yeah once every 8 hours might not be often enough o.O
Evernote rules! ^^

#4 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:31 PM

I think Owyn uses the Windows client under an emulator. Hopefully, he will see this thread & offer any advice.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#5 hoppimike

hoppimike

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

I actually found an unofficial client for Ubuntu ^^

It works fine... it's not too fancy but it does allow backups! Yay!
Evernote rules! ^^

#6 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:36 PM

Great!

#7 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

I do use the Windows client from a Linux Virtual Box host in a XP SP3 VM. This works great for me but does mean that you will need to create the Windows VM in the first place.

A better solution in your case would be to install the latest Wine and then install the Windows client. That would also give you access to the edit Create Date function that you can't get from the web client.

I assume you are using the Nixnote client. That works, but, is effectively unusable for larger notes databases due to very high cpu and memory utilization.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#8 hoppimike

hoppimike

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:46 AM

I do use the Windows client from a Linux Virtual Box host in a XP SP3 VM. This works great for me but does mean that you will need to create the Windows VM in the first place.

A better solution in your case would be to install the latest Wine and then install the Windows client. That would also give you access to the edit Create Date function that you can't get from the web client.

I assume you are using the Nixnote client. That works, but, is effectively unusable for larger notes databases due to very high cpu and memory utilization.

Yeah I am using Nixnote and yeah I guess the official client would be better... I'll give it a blast through Wine :)
Evernote rules! ^^

#9 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:09 AM

Good Luck. Let me know if you have any problems.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#10 rogerpettay

rogerpettay

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

Hi everyone,

Can someone walk me through a step by step way to backup Evernote? I read over the above entries, but I was not able to discern the "geek speak" that is not a reflection upon the posts themselves, but more of a disclosure of "cluelesness" on my part.

I am a premium user of Evernote and presently all of my files sync to the net. But being a bit of a "control freak" :P I would like to also be able to back up these important files (many which includes irreplaceable research) on my own. --I don't even know in the slightest where to begin. Before Evernote, I stored everything in File Cabinets.
  • I have about 900 notes and growing every day.
  • I use a Dell PC
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • I also have Evernote on my Android Phone that syncs.
Thank you for your patience in advance and for an help you can afford me.

#11 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,152 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

Hi everyone,

Can someone walk me through a step by step way to backup Evernote? I read over the above entries, but I was not able to discern the "geek speak" that is not a reflection upon the posts themselves, but more of a disclosure of "cluelesness" on my part.

I am a premium user of Evernote and presently all of my files sync to the net. But being a bit of a "control freak" ;) I would like to also be able to back up these important files (many which includes irreplaceable research) on my own. --I don't even know in the slightest where to begin. Before Evernote, I stored everything in File Cabinets.

• I have about 900 notes and growing every day.
  • I use a Dell PC
  • Windows Vista Home Premium
  • I also have Evernote on my Android Phone that syncs.
Thank you for your patience in advance and for an help you can afford me.

http://discussion.ev...rnote-database/

#12 daveever

daveever

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

I'm a free web-only user.
This thread appears to say that there is no way to backup online notes without using Evernote 'client' software on a personal computer. Do I understand this correctly? Is this still the case now that we are one year later?
Thanks!
Dave

#13 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,754 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

For users who use Evernote on other platforms than Mac or Windows, I think that this is still the case for Evernote-provided clients.

You might be able to use the 3rd-party NixNote client (formerly known as NeverNote), if you're on Linux and you want to do is backup: http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/ (features: https://www.evernote...3c-ead02ccd16cc). For other platforms, you may be Stuck On a Log.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#14 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,188 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm a free web-only user.
This thread appears to say that there is no way to backup online notes without using Evernote 'client' software on a personal computer. Do I understand this correctly? Is this still the case now that we are one year later?
Thanks!
Dave

hi. welcome to the forum daveever. i think that sounds correct to me. it would be nice if we had a way to download from the web, especially for people without control over applications downloaded onto their machines (many institutional environments). but, in this day and age, how many people using evernote don't have a computer to download the client onto?

#15 daveever

daveever

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:02 PM

Wow! Thanks for the quick replies!

#16 OrganisedSid

OrganisedSid

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

I would welcome this too, also as a Ubuntu user and Android user. I can't see the logic of having a backup facility for Windows and Mac but not Linux or the web, either from the point of view of Evernote's employees, their business model, or their users. Nobody benefits. Think about it!
The web client is platform independent and would require no maintainance - this means that there is no need to spend lots of programming hours keeping up with the latest Mac and Windows versions. It's also readily available to all no matter what platform they use.

#17 cmevoli

cmevoli

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

It would be nice to have a feature in the Evernote web application to make a backup archive file to sync with Google Drive, Dropbox, or Skydrive.  This would be a very nice value add.  They could make it a feature only available to premium users.  We could choose the frequency of auto-backups.

This way, there would be an external backup solution for those who do not use desktop client applications.  The desktop computer is becoming less and less relevant for many people who are learning to work more out of the cloud.  For us desktop users, we can just sync our Google Drive, etc, to our desktop for external backup as well.

My main concern that brought me to this thread was due to me clicking on a note the other day to edit it and it just went blank (empty note).  I tried to click away and reload the web page but it seems that Evernote auto-saved my note as a blank one and now it's gone.  I have no backups to restore the information from.  Since I'm a linux desktop user, I will try out the nixnote client many have mentioned in this thread for now in hopes that some Google Drive integration appears in the future.

#18 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,188 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

It would be nice to have a feature in the Evernote web application to make a backup archive file to sync with Google Drive, Dropbox, or Skydrive.  This would be a very nice value add.  They could make it a feature only available to premium users.  We could choose the frequency of auto-backups.

This way, there would be an external backup solution for those who do not use desktop client applications.  The desktop computer is becoming less and less relevant for many people who are learning to work more out of the cloud.  For us desktop users, we can just sync our Google Drive, etc, to our desktop for external backup as well.

My main concern that brought me to this thread was due to me clicking on a note the other day to edit it and it just went blank (empty note).  I tried to click away and reload the web page but it seems that Evernote auto-saved my note as a blank one and now it's gone.  I have no backups to restore the information from.  Since I'm a linux desktop user, I will try out the nixnote client many have mentioned in this thread for now in hopes that some Google Drive integration appears in the future.

Cloud HQ?

https://www.cloudhq.net/dropbox

I haven't used the service, but I have heard good things about it. Personally, I prefer to have my backups on my desktop. The world may be moving away from desktops, but I'm not. The iPads and other gizmos are great (longtime forum members know how passionate I am about doing as much as I can on the iPad), but there is still a lot that is beyond their reach, and this includes local backups. You can get a relatively inexpensive computer anywhere these days (easily under $300). I'd just plug in an external drive and you've got two backups (the files on your hard drive and the ones on the external drive).

#19 cmevoli

cmevoli

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Cloud HQ?

I haven't used the service, but I have heard good things about it. Personally, I prefer to have my backups on my desktop. The world may be moving away from desktops, but I'm not. The iPads and other gizmos are great (longtime forum members know how passionate I am about doing as much as I can on the iPad), but there is still a lot that is beyond their reach, and this includes local backups. You can get a relatively inexpensive computer anywhere these days (easily under $300). I'd just plug in an external drive and you've got two backups (the files on your hard drive and the ones on the external drive).

Thanks for the quick reply and very acceptable solution.  I just tried out Cloud HQ and it does exactly what I wanted, plus will work to sync other services as well.  I feel $120 a year is well worth the price to backup my valuable information.  I sync my google drive with my desktop so this will give me my desktop backup integration automatically without my intervention.  Thanks once again.

#20 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,188 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Cloud HQ?

Thanks for the quick reply and very acceptable solution.  I just tried out Cloud HQ and it does exactly what I wanted, plus will work to sync other services as well.  I feel $120 a year is well worth the price to backup my valuable information.  I sync my google drive with my desktop so this will give me my desktop backup integration automatically without my intervention.  Thanks once again.

Glad I could help. Well, actually, glad Cloud HQ could help. For more cool services that integrate with Evernote, make sure to check out the Evernote App Center.

https://appcenter.evernote.com/

One of the cool things about Evernote is the ecosystem, which I think doesn't get as much press as it should. Anyhow, enjoy Cloud HQ and be sure to stop in sometime and let us know how it is going!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote