Like to go back to "old" webinterface

Luzie Duck

Idea

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I really don't like the "new" webinterface. I tried to get used to it, but it is uncomfortable to me. Especially the large font makes it unclearly if you are working with and switching between several notebooks and dozens of notes, as I do. 

In a word: Please enable a "go back to old webinterface" function in the settings as there is for older accounts. I am using different new accounts that do unfortunately not offer this any more.

10 replies to this idea

On 4/24/2016 at 0:25 PM, Luzie Duck said:

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I really don't like the "new" webinterface. I tried to get used to it, but it is uncomfortable to me. Especially the large font makes it unclearly if you are working with and switching between several notebooks and dozens of notes, as I do. 

In a word: Please enable a "go back to old webinterface" function in the settings as there is for older accounts. I am using different new accounts that do unfortunately not offer this any more.

Luzie Duck,

I am also not crazy about new web interface with limited functionality. Option to go back to old one would be really nice.

What do you mean by "especially the large font"? Which part of the interface you are talking about.

~Piotr

I've gone back to the old interface every time I"ve tried it..This new interface is USELESS!!! It doesn't find anything I search for. Just now I tired to find my favorite flaxseed pancake recipe to fix for breakfast, and I typed "Flaxseed pancake recipe,' expecting the recipe to be the first response, as it always has been in the past. Instead, I got three spam messages that somehow got into my account, none of which mentioned Flaxseed. So I entered my flaxseed tag, and I got thousands of hits, which was going to take too much time to go though. I tried my recipe tag, and that provided a more useful group, but still with far too many hits to quickly find what I needed. I tried Pancake as a tag, but apparently I don't have that tag. However, what I wanted, was apparently impossible, which is to search for all three limiters. This interface doesn't allow a way to combine tags, or to limit text searches with tags! Worse, it shows so little information about each hit, and so few hits per screen that it is impossible to find anything. I"m used to the old interface, which looks just like the program, acts like the program, did searches BETTER than the program, showed me a screen-full of choices that I could evaluate at a glance, and easily run through a couple of hundred hits until I found the specific record I needed. The WIndows interface freezes if you try that, and I can't wait the 15 minutes it takes to unfreeze every time I search it. 

This last time, I did not request the new interface. I just came up on its own, and I can't find a way to fix it. I've been a premium user for many years.

By the way, clicking "Help" in the program takes me to a screen that doesn't know I"m a premium user entitled to receive help. So I log in, and suddenly I'm in this useless web interface that has no means to request help.

Yeah, I really really dislike the new web interface. They are overdoing this flat design, colors have no contrast and it is getting more and more unconfortable to read. Please, stop!! In the old days I was always eager to get the new things, lately I fear the changes because I always find myself going back to the old version. Why change what works well?? And please, if you do something new, at least let us keep what we had and paid for.

Cheers

22 hours ago, Fuecisla said:

Yeah, I really really dislike the new web interface. They are overdoing this flat design, colors have no contrast and it is getting more and more unconfortable to read. Please, stop!! In the old days I was always eager to get the new things, lately I fear the changes because I always find myself going back to the old version. Why change what works well?? And please, if you do something new, at least let us keep what we had and paid for.

Cheers

I think we have reached the stage where writing anything on this forum is more or less a waste of time if what you want to do is to ask for something.

We know that this new version has pretty much been a disaster and we know that something brand new is due some time in 2017. That will be another learning curve for everyone but at least it may see an end to this very black period for Web version users.

In the meantime, there probably aren't going to be any more improvements in this Web version - Evernote employees are simply looking for a home for retired web versions where it will be properly cared for and will have all the loving care that an application with such a low self-esteem requires.

I don't expect Evernote to say anything until the launch later on this year, when we will doubtless be treated to the usual fanfares and promises, which we hope will be justified and kept. 

Here's a vote AGAINST the new web-interface, for the following reasons:

• too much whitespace -- gutters/margins/leading/fonts are all far too big.  The designers need to give up their gorgeous 4K monitors and use a 1024x768 (certainly nothing higher-res than 1366x768) monitor like the rest of us.  Screen real-estate is precious -- please don't waste it!
  • the bland monochromatic UI is too hard on the eyes (same reason I dislike Windows 10).  Think chili peppers not yogurt, guys and gals!
  • Too many "verbs" are hidden -- I can't figure out how to do stuff -- you have no hover-help, a very anemic menu-bar, no context menus -- please, please do NOT re-invent well-designed, time-tested, familiar UI usage patterns.  I want the UI to work the way I expect it to, I want it to leverage what I already know, not have to discover how it works, not have to learn something new.  I want EN to be a hammer, a *****-driver, a can of nails which I can get stuff done with, not a painting I have to study!
  • funky font-sizing (not sure what's going on...sometimes I get the font I want (nice small 8-pointer), sometimes I get this monstrous large 16 point.  (Its probably just a bug.)
  • On Firefox on Windows (at least) the text-insertion-point cursor (vertical bar) is not vertically aligned properly following a check-box -- it seems to be vertically aligned on the subscript position.
  • Can't high-light text.
  • Can't figure out to make the note-list compact with small font. I want to see the titles of 40+ notes listed vertically to the left of the note view-edit panel.  I'm lucky if I get 15!
  • I want obvious grab handles for dragging column widths, not an expand/contract button way over on the opposite side of the column!
  • I want UI changes to snap, not a slow glide.
  • I would like "*" <space> and "1" <space> to automatically enter corresponding list mode.
  • You have several iconbars all over the screen some vertical, some horizontal with humongous icons.  This is a waste.  You only need one, it goes at the top, each icon should be 2-3 ems wide and high (not 4-5).  You need to let me pick what icons go on it, and let me put them in the order I want, with- and with-out text-labels (since the metaphors behind the icons you choose may be unrecognizable/ambiguous to me.)

I realize EN has spent a lot of effort re-inventing the new Web-UI -- that's a shame, because I haven't found any improvements, and I know that 2 UIs is too expensive to maintain, and I know that the managers in charge aren't going to be willing to abandon the new UI and go back to something they spent a lot of money replacing.  Therefore, please consider the points above, and make changes to the new UI, to "finish" adding the goodness in the old UI which you "haven't yet" implemented in the new UI.

Wow! What an amazing post.

I just hope somebody in EN looks at it.

I don't think we will see an improvements in the Web-UI. 

Evernote know that it is a loser. It will be replaced by a version 3 later this year. And our only hope is that they have "listened to" all the requests and critiques written here.

Archived