Evernote icon in taskbar (Windows 10)

• Level 5*

There are a bunch of Windows 10 minor issues in various threads here - the main post being https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/85639-evernote-desktop-and-windows-10/

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote to see whether your current issue is resolved - otherwise it's a question of waiting for Evernote to catch up...

• 4 weeks later...

I installed Evernote on a Windows 10 machine running under Parallels on my iMac but the icon it uses is from The Gimp drawing program. On my 'straight' Windows machines it uses the elephant like it's supposed to. When I attempt to go in and try and change the icon, the option is greyed out. Not a major deal but it's kind of bugging me. The icon in the system tray is ok, just the launch icon is wrong. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling and Gimpie stays the same.

• 10 months later...
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, nuorlenzgal said:

I have this problem also.  I want my elephant icon back.  The change icon option is greyed out when I try to change it.

Hi.  When and how did your icon disappear?  Have you restarted your system?

My icon disappeared the version before I'm running now, but I figured out a work around. 

But when I installed 6.3.3.3502 I could no longer even find a work around.  When I run the program, I see the elephant in my tray...but the icon that sits in my tray so I can easily start the program is no longer an elephant.  I have restarted my system many times since installation.

My 70 year old eyes no longer work as well as they used to...so having that signature icon is a real help to me.

I am running Windows 10 on my PC.

Many thanks for helping me!

• Level 5*

Not sure I can help unfortunately - I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter - include the URL of this thread so they have the background. 

There are a few web pages that talk about system preferences for refreshing an icon if it's gone missing.  I listed a couple here in case they're of use,  but if you can I'd wait for support to assist.

1. http://lifehacker.com/how-to-customize-the-system-tray-icons-in-windows-10-1724097781
  2. http://www.thewindowsclub.com/notification-area-icons-missing-windows

I don't use icons too much - personally I find it easier to hit the Windows key on my keyboard and type "ever" (or any other app name) - without the quotes - wait until the app icon pops up,  then hit ENTER.

B)

Remove the bodgy pinned icon from the taskbar with right click->Unpin

Start Evernote from a Win+S search

Right click the Elephant that just appeared on the taskbar and pin to the taskbar

When you exit EN, the Elephant you just pinned to the taskbar should still be there.

@gazumped - tip: if you pin your most often used programs to the taskbar you can start them with WinKey+1, WinKey+2 etc.  Also WinKey+T will give focus to the first item in the taskbar, you can then traverse the items with arrow keys (up arrow wraps to last), press Enter to run the program, press MenuKey to access the context menu.

Whilst typing the above I solved the issue I came to ask about - too embarrassed to say what it was, but the solution is to hit Escape :blush:

• 2 months later...

I had this problem when I replaced my computer recently - the Evernote icon was there when I downloaded the program, then it disappeared and I was stuck with the default windows 'image' icon. Not intuitive and deeply disturbing for those with OCD tendencies (like me). I tried all sorts and finally had success. I did this:

Delete the old generic 'image' icon from the desktop. Open the Evernote program location, it should be here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote. You'll see lot of elephant icons, pick the application called 'Evernote', not the ones with extended names. Right click and pick 'Create Shortcut'. You'll get an error message saying that 'Windows cannot create a shortcut here - Do you want the shortcut to be placed on the Desktop instead?'. Say 'Yes'. Hey presto you (should) now have the correct elephant icon on the dektop. You can also drag the icon from the Evernote folder to your taskbar and pin it there and also drag to the desktop to create the shortcut. What I haven't figured out yet is how to sort the rogue icon in the Start menu. I hope this helps.Evernote screenshot.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2017-01-26 - TO RE-ESTABLISH Evernote links with icon in START tiles & menu - WIN 10

Remove / unpin Evernote shortcuts from START tiles & scroll list.
in file manager:
go to C:\ Program Files (x86) < if 64 bit >  
then to \ Evernote \ Evernote 
right click Evernote.exe & create shortcut
cut or copy new shortcut from desktop - or wherever you made it
and be ready to paste into Windows Start Menu folder - here >  
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
but
1st - select & delete old Evernote shortcut ,  
then 
2nd - paste new copied shortcut into the directory
3rd - right click new shortcut, go properties
and remove < .exe > from Evernote label in the General Tab
lastly:
go back to start menu and Evernote links will be restored with correct icon
drag Evernote list entry right to re-establish fresh tile

enjoy ;-)  TJ

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*
8 hours ago, nsnen said:

Try downloading the Evernote app from Windows Store, not from evernote.com. Worked for me - was having this same problem with all my pc:s

As far as I know, the Evernote app in the Windows store is the same as the standard Windows application.

27 minutes ago, jefito said:

As far as I know, the Evernote app in the Windows store is the same as the standard Windows application.

Yup, I thought so too. But for some odd reason this trick finally helped me to get my own icons back. I have used it in two laptops. No idea why it works this way -  just happy to have stumbled on a working solution, after trying so many useless ones.

Archived