Search results inconsistent across platforms

A bug in Evernote causes it to return inconsistent search results across supported platforms.  The bug has existed for years.  Evernote knows about it, but can't or won't squash it.

Evernote users, particularly new users, need to be warned of the bug. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You're obviously right that search results are inconsistent across devices,  but it doesn't seem like a major threat for new users - they probably won't have enough notes to be confused by the search differences.  If they are and raise it here,  we'll all confirm that yes it happens,  and yes it should be fixed.  Any special reason for the concern?

• Level 5*

but it doesn't seem like a major threat for new users - they probably won't have enough notes to be confused by the search differences.  

I disagree.  It IS a threat to new users, and one that they don't know about.

It doesn't take many Notes (more than a screen-full is enough) to be mislead by erroneous Search results.

If a Search fails to find the Note I'm looking for, even though it meets the Search criteria, then I am misled, potentially with serious consequences.

What if it fails to find a legal document, a receipt, a warranty, that I need right now in order to take action?

In fact, it may have more of an impact on new users than experienced users, since the new users often have not yet learned how to use the product fully, the tricks, the traps, alternate ways of searching.

In most cases, I've seen search discrepancies related to text in OCRed images. If in doubt, compare the search results on mobile and web. They should be the same. The discrepancy, more often than not, lies in the Windows desktop client - and the indexing of image files once a note containing an image has been modified in any way whatsoever. If your discrepancies are related to notes with text in images, there are at least 2 solutions to get around this bug... 

From the above standpoint, I would tend to agree with Gazumped. (In many cases) we may not be looking for text in images... but we happen to notice a discrepancy in the number of search results across platforms and (in many cases) worry unnecessarily. The web client, for sure, would give a fuller picture in these regards. 

If one is off by a couple of notes, who wouldn't feel that something is missing? But understanding what is missing and why helps a tad.

• Level 5*

In most cases, I've seen search discrepancies related to text in OCRed images. 

That has NOT been my observation.

In most cases I've experienced, and seen reported, the Search has nothing to do with images or OCR.

There are clear, well-known and reported, differences in the results of Searches across the EN platforms.

In fact, BNF has stated this is one of the reasons she is leaving Evernote.

When you guys make excuses for, or minimize, the impact of EN bugs, this tends to take the pressure off of Evernote to fix.

Is this what you intend?

When you guys make excuses for, or minimize, the impact of EN bugs, this tends to take the pressure off of Evernote to fix.

Is this what you intend?

I'll have to think long and hard about my motives before I give any sort of a meaningful reply :P ...

In the meantime, I'm going to start my morning routine...

affirmation.jpg?dl=1

@JMichael,

Here's the gist of it:

I do believe that I offered some trouble-shooting leads - which was a tad more practical than your input on this particular thread... and if you've paid attention to some of the threads you've participated in previously, you will have seen that the above troubleshooting advice has been spot on - multiple times. If you're trying to put the pressure on Evernote... it can best be done in other ways. Otherwise... Tip 76: Live and let live. 

• Level 5*

Tip 76: Live and let live. 

LOL.  That's a very funny line coming from you, Frank.  I've seen you jump on user requests many times and disagree with other posters.

There is nothing wrong with respectful disagreement in these forums.  

I'm sure your workarounds are appreciated, and work sometimes.

However, Search for me is a very serious issue.  EN Search must be rock solid, and provide identical results across all platforms/clients.

When I use EN Search, I don't want to have to remember the exceptions of when it doesn't work, and how to workaround those exceptions.

I just want to Search, for the the search results to be accurate.

Evernote has roused itself out of its years-long stupor and has fixed the IOS search bug!*

Imagine this: Evernote has seen fit to make its database searchable.

Perhaps this was a lovely parting gift from the outgoing CEO?

*Based on a single and not thorough test. I did not compare the search results in the IOS platform to any other. But at least I'm getting some results.

• 1 year later...

I too am getting different search results, across 2 Macs.  I am searching for a string, restricted to intitle.  I have checked and know there are 5 matches (I have 10000+ notes).  One of the Macs returns all 5 matches, the other 2 only.  This is serious, if I cannot rely on Evernote find, I cannot rely on Evernote to manage my notes/documents.  I am puzzled that the same app on the same OS platform against the same notes database returns different results.

For the record my search is intitle:220916

Any help or advice appreciated rated, am I doing something wrong?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Is your database installed correctly on both devices?  Are any of the notes in a local notebook which is stored only on one hard drive?  You've joined a very old thread,  and while differences in search were known between different Evernote clients,  I don't think I've seen any reports of two different devices with the same client having that problem. I'd suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter - there's a 'refresh database index' option you may be able to use,  but you'll want to check for other possible issues and backup your system before you take that step...

Thanks for the reply.  I went for the nuclear option, and removed Evernote and all "library" files associated, and re-installed (the same current version from the App store).  The search is now returning the correct notes.  

Thanks again for your help.

• 1 year later...

I am experimenting this same issue across the mobile app for Android and the online search functionality. Typing exactly the same search parameters returns 5 results online and 4 results on the mobile app (just the one I need is missing).

The note I am looking for is a post-it picture I took, so maybe that has something to do with it?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Flávio Lima said:

The note I am looking for is a post-it picture I took, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Hi.  AFAIK there should be no basic difference between the two,  regardless of content.  Has the 'missing' note synced to the mobile? - Try changing it slightly on the website (add a character to the title or content) and resyncing the mobile.

If that doesn't work,  what version of Evernote do you have?

12 horas atrás, gazumped disse:

Hi.  AFAIK there should be no basic difference between the two,  regardless of content.  Has the 'missing' note synced to the mobile? - Try changing it slightly on the website (add a character to the title or content) and resyncing the mobile.

If that doesn't work,  what version of Evernote do you have?

The missing note was synced to the mobile because I could see it right there. It just didn't show up when I searched using specific parameters.

But now the problem seems to have solved itself, as I have tested the exact same parameters across all three platforms (windows PC, android and desktop app). All of them are showing the same number of results, even though the mobile app took a while to display all of them. 

Thanks for the help!

Archived