Evernote Status - Service release - Maintenance

Every week Evernote runs some service, maintenance

Meanwhile the server is often impossible to connect to.

There is some way to get information about it.

So if you can't sync check these out

This web http://status.evernote.com/

RSS http://status.evernote.com/rss

Or Twitter

I use Twitter a lot, daily and I follow the account https://twitter.com/EvernoteStatus

(You can bookmark the URL if you not use Twitter)

In my mobile and tablet I get notifications when the account tweets information.

The star on the picture is the setting to notification in Twitter, yellow is on.

I call this 15 minutes for break-time! :P

post-222013-0-16622500-1431740050_thumb.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Thanks for the headsup.  I use Evernote quite a lot on desktop,  and I've never noticed a break in my connection to the server.  I'm sure they happen,  but they don't interrupt my work or cause any errors.  Are you seeing some sort of regular interruption to your connection?  If so,  that's probably a fault,  not the server updates...

Thank you. I didn't know there was a way to check the status of EN's maintance status. I've bookmarked this in my browser so I can check the next time I try and it won't connect to the EN Service. And I'm going to Evernote it.

Very handy info to have so thank you again. Very much appreciated!

Hi.  Thanks for the headsup.  I use Evernote quite a lot on desktop,  and I've never noticed a break in my connection to the server.  I'm sure they happen,  but they don't interrupt my work or cause any errors.  Are you seeing some sort of regular interruption to your connection?  If so,  that's probably a fault,  not the server updates...

I think a lot of people never experiences this. I discovered it last summer in the middle of a deadline. After checking everything I search and find out that it wasn't just me and my stuff. When I search on Twitter I found many users asking what happened with the syncing.

Timezone?

The maintenance, service start (often) PT (Pacific time UTC-7) between 4 PM and 9 PM.

And the weekly maintenance on Wednesday 6PM PT

In my local timezone CET (Central European time UTC+2) it's after midnight. Never before. And often close to 3-5 in the morning (I'm night-owl)

So I don't think many users in Europe ever sees it.

Sometimes the connection is slower and sometimes no connection for approximately 15 minutes.

And I've never lost any data.

Of course it can be frustrating, but 15 min?!

So instead of contact support check if any maintenance or service is causing the slow sync.

The trouble I have with my Internet connection (since January) effect all servers like a bad roller coaster. On Monday a service technician will check this and I hope I got the Broadband I pay for soon. While I wrote this connection drop 3 times. Notepad is a safe friend when just IPS have trouble.

When I really need connect I use my mobile Broadband and it's slow and expensive. 

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Yeah, I just got this *very* informative msg when trying to sync on two different Macs:

Sync-Error-Msg.gif

They could add a step to hit the sync button again just in case your network connection was chasing butterflies for a bit...  Better than deleting a bunch of stuff.

• Level 5*

They could add a step to hit the sync button again just in case your network connection was chasing butterflies for a bit...  Better than deleting a bunch of stuff.

You're right, Cal.  I overlooked the elephant in the room (or maybe not in the room  ;)  ).

Directing the user to start exporting and deleting Notes as the first step is grossly misleading and misdirecting the user.

In fact, I think Evernote could easily enough provide a much more informative and helpful error msg:

1. If the sync process can't connect to the EN servers, then it should check for general internet access (easy enough)
  2. If the Internet is available, it should check with the EN status site (different EN server) to see if an outage has been reported, and report that back to the user.
  3. It should tell the user that if the sync issue persists for more than, say 1 hour, then the user should check the EN Activity Log to see if any Notes in particular are having issues being sync'd.
  4. IAC, the msg should say that often the loss of connection is only for a brief time, and the user should try syncing again in 5, 10, or 15 min, and that the user should also check the status site (with link provided)

All of the above is really easy (I know, I've done it with other systems), and it would be of great help to the user to provide it.

• Level 5*

I just submitted a "Report a Sync Issue" Support Ticket, complaining about the poor Sync error msg, and suggesting what I posted above.  We'll see if anything comes of it.  I'm not holding my breath, but at least I took some action to try to get an improvement.

For any interested Evernote employees lurking, and would like to help:   :) 

Ticket #1191737 - Sync Error Msg is Misleading & Not Helpful

• Level 5*

Well, I got a very quick (< 4 hrs), and appropriate response from Evernote Support for my Ticket:

Dominic A (Evernote Support)
Aug 12, 14:54

Thanks for reaching out to Evernote support my name is Dominic.

I see where you are coming from and think you make some very valid points. I would love to pass this information along to our development team for consideration in future revisions of the Evernote Desktop application.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards, 

Dominic A.

The ball is now officially in the EN Development Team's court.   :)

from status.evernote.com:

Aug 15, 2015 (4:46 pm PT)
[ok] All systems are running smoothly

All systems are fully available at this time.

Aug 15, 2015 (2:07 pm PT)
Network maintenance beginning

Please note that we are performing network maintenance and services may be briefly unavailable for the next 20 minutes.

Evernote needs its own Fail Whale* for these "all systems fully available" status updates. This outage happened at a bad time for me today as I had some updates on my desktop that did not sync and I needed them for some out'n'about, time-sensitive errands. Had to recompile everything on the fly culling info from Gmail, an Excel file and a few paper documents. I do not like to appear disorganized in front of others. So, a bit peeved I was.

*A suggestion, please:

When irregularly scheduled maintenance takes over two hours longer than expected, give me a gottam humourous animated gif or something as a way of apology for severely underestimating the downtime, which I only learned about after completing my errands.

from status.evernote.com:

Aug 15, 2015 (4:46 pm PT)
[ok] All systems are running smoothly

All systems are fully available at this time.

Aug 15, 2015 (2:07 pm PT)
Network maintenance beginning

Please note that we are performing network maintenance and services may be briefly unavailable for the next 20 minutes.

Evernote needs its own Fail Whale* for these "all systems fully available" status updates. This outage happened at a bad time for me today as I had some updates on my desktop that did not sync and I needed them for some out'n'about, time-sensitive errands. Had to recompile everything on the fly culling info from Gmail, an Excel file and a few paper documents. I do not like to appear disorganized in front of others. So, a bit peeved I was.

*A suggestion, please:

When irregularly scheduled maintenance takes over two hours longer than expected, give me a gottam humourous animated gif or something as a way of apology for severely underestimating the downtime, which I only learned about after completing my errands.

ele9897.gif

More animated elephants http://www.heathersanimations.com/elephantsone.html

Archived