Help with transferring HTC Notes to Evernote

I recently upgraded my HTC One to 5.0.2, and my old notes app no longer opens as it is outdated. So when I clicked on it, it told me that I had to upgrade to evernote...and so I did. Only now, more than half of my notes are gone! A lot of important ones too, it synched a lot if old ones from a year or two ago that I barely even care for. Please tell me the there is a way to recover ALL of my notes...especially some of the more recent ones!?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

That's a little unclear to me. Is your "old notes app" an earlier version of Evernote? If so, and you upgraded, and now you can't see all of your notes? 

Were the notes that you can't see now all created on your HTC? Is it possible that they were never synced to the Evernote servers? You can check that by logging into your Evernote account using the Evernote web client and seeing if those notes are there. If they're not you may be out of luck. A update of Evernote is not supposed to delete unsynced notes. 

Is it possible that you actually have two Evernote accounts, and have logged into an older account that has old notes?

I'd recommend that you take this up with customer service, as you're having an account access problem. Start here: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/

Thanks for the reply. I'm referring to my old notes app that came with my phone, not the old version of evernote. This is my first time using evernote, so I don't have old accounts. I do have different email addresses that I tried synching it with a few times to see if I'd get a different response, but then I end up with no notes. My main, and most common email address is the only one that shows any notes at all. :(

• Level 5*

Hi.  On a quick Google search I can't find exact chapter and verse,  but HTC's support pages seem to be the most likely place you'll find an answer.  See http://www.htc.com/uk/support/htc-one-mini/howto/381564.htm for some general information on Evernote.  HTC won't help you with Evernote queries,  but they should be able to help you locate your old notes and confirm whether / how you can move them into a new Evernote account.  When you do get some specific information we'd appreciate you posting back here so any other HTC users with the same problem can benefit...

Another post in this forum contributed "Settings>accounts and syncs>sync notes with evernote, choose the account and remove it. It won't sync anymore.." which suggests you need to be logged into your old account to transfer the notes...  (Source:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39655-built-in-note-in-htc-one/)

• 2 weeks later...

I had the exact same problem with my HTC One!! If you go into settings and click onto 'Accounts & Sync', I found an option that said 'Sync Notes with Evernote'. Click on the 3 dots and you should find an option that says 'Sync now'. It took a little while but eventually all of your Notes will be in Evernote. I hope this helps  :)

I'll make this as concise as possible.

Today HTC notes shut down and I was forced to transfer notes to evernote. I have dozens and dozens of notes and very few of them have transferred. Now I need to upgrade and pay to transfer them all, this is absolutely ridiculous. Please tell m. how to

1.Transfer all my notes without paying

2.Find the note files through the computer (this is very hard considering I have no idea what the file names are)

3.Who to contact if it can't be solved on this forum/a more appropriate thread for this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees

Hey guys!

HTC has discontinued its support for HTC Notes and has directed users to sync their notes into Evernote. We've recently posted a helpful article on how to sync and transfer your HTC Notes to Evernote. Check out the instructions here: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/91208787

Let us know if you have any further questions or issues with these steps :)

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I am just not understanding this post, I far as i understand, after the upgrade Notes disappeared and it was replaced by evernotes, how could we sync something that is no longer on the HTC phone, we no longer have access to notes. If we had know the upgrade would remove notes and replace it with evernotes, certainly we would have sync the two. This was an OS upgrade. Could someone explain how to recover all the lost files from Notes after the OS upgrade?

• Level 5*

Did you check out charboyd's link?  I don't think the notes are 'lost',  the app just isn't available any more.  Any existing notes are still available and can be synced with an Evernote account if you have one.  If you can't find or transfer the notes,  the HTC helpline is what you need.

post-63053-0-85551900-1428408786_thumb.j

The only extra information I have is:

• Go to Settings and click 'Accounts & Sync', 
  • Look for 'Sync Notes with Evernote'. 
  • Click on the 3 dots and you should find an option that says 'Sync now'. 
  • It takes a little while but eventually all your Notes will be in Evernote.

(You'll gather I'm not an HTC user...)

• 1 month later...

I am migrating from an old HTC phone to a Samsung. The HTC Notes app was so old that it had no sync options. I had a bunch of notes there which I have now exported as an XML file. I would like to import them into Evernote. How may I convert them?

• Level 5*

I am migrating from an old HTC phone to a Samsung. The HTC Notes app was so old that it had no sync options. I had a bunch of notes there which I have now exported as an XML file. I would like to import them into Evernote. How may I convert them?

XML is used by Evernote,  but isn't directly available to import/ export information to and from notebooks.

Some other services provide users with an export to XML.  It's necessary to convert the XML to a different coding for import into Evernote.  Search for what's available.  A typical piece of software is:  Easy XML Converter - which "helps to convert XML files into a variety of formats. Easy XML Converter also has a help screen that tells you which tables (elements) that are related to each other. What you want to convert, choose from a tree view, select the desired columns that you want, making it very easy to set up."

http://easy-xml-converter.en.softonic.com/

There's also this link which may include some useful tips - http://www.groovypost.com/howto/howto/import-delicious-bookmarks-with-tags-notes-into-evernote/

Thank you for responding. The Delicious converter seems to require the input to follow Delicious's schema, and using Easy XML would require me to know what Evernote expects in its XML. I searched for what's available before asking, and there are various converters, but I found none that look like they'd know what to do with the HTC Notes XML. There are instructions for migrating from HTC Notes to Evernote, but they require a sync, which was apparently something only present in later incarnations of HTC Notes. I have converted the XML to CSV as a possible intermediate step, and the header line is:

_title,_body,_categoryName,_createtime,_modifytime,_remindtime,_password,_voicepath,_paintpath

It would be great if someone could take that and feed me some one-time script that converts to .enex format. BTW, is there any way to import using the web client? I don't regularly use Mac or Windows anymore.

• Level 5*

Hi again - you could presumably get the format by exporting several 'test' notes,  but I don't have any specific knowledge there.  Unless there are some suggestions from others...

-And no,  the web interface doesn't import (that I'm aware of.)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem as Werdxp. I followed every steps that HTC provided to sync my htc notes to evernote. However, i only managed to get some of my notes into evernote. Sync i have over 300Mb notes while evernote limit is 60mb.

I guess i have to buy premium or wait for another 5 months to sync them all.

Posts in this forum are far more helpful than HTC support who neither reply emails nor call me back regarding this issue.

• 1 month later...

how about I don't want to sign up for your stupid cloud service. I don't want to download your friggin app. 

I just want my notes that were LOCALLY STORED on MY DEVICE. I don't want your *****. 

how can i get the notes off my HTC one without having to share EVERYTHING with your stupid app? 

why do you need access to: 

contacts

calendar

photos/gallery

microphone

emails

EVERY DOG DAMNED THING about a person? 

you people are whats wrong with the internet. Go away with your intrusive, pervasive, sh1tty application. 

• Level 5*

Er,  hi.  This is a user forum,  and it was HTC's decision (presumably) to replace their existing note service with Evernote.  You could have a chat with HTC support to see how you can recover your notes without transitioning to Evernote.  The only information we have about the whole thing is already in this thread.

how about I don't want to sign up for your stupid cloud service. I don't want to download your friggin app. 

I just want my notes that were LOCALLY STORED on MY DEVICE. I don't want your *****. 

how can i get the notes off my HTC one without having to share EVERYTHING with your stupid app? 

why do you need access to: 

contacts

calendar

photos/gallery

microphone

emails

EVERY DOG DAMNED THING about a person? 

you people are whats wrong with the internet. Go away with your intrusive, pervasive, sh1tty application.

Since he doesn't want the toaster, can I have it??? Mine's on the fritz.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

All this is an insane joke. No way I'd attempt to migrate from the cranky HTC Notes to android Evernote without a txt backup of each Evernote note on my W10 desktop, and a backup of my \user\...\Evernote\database\ directory. The risk of HTC, Evernote or android smashing my stuff flat is clearly colossal.

Archived