Find and Replace across multiple notes

Hi Graham, 

As @BNF says, not with the find and replace feature that you find under the "Edit" tab/ Ctrl + H.

The easiest way to do what you want is to manually go through the notes you're looking for your keyword in:

• Isolate the set of notes you need to edit into either a tag or notebook context
  • Type the word/ phrase you need to replace into the search bar within that context
  • Hit Ctrl + F on the first note and type in your keyword to be changed... (OR use the find and replace feature if you have many instances in that note)
  • Once you've changed the first keyword, hit Ctrl + G or Ctrl +F again. This will take you to the next instance of your keyword.
  • Once there are no more instances of your keyword within a note and you hit Ctr + G/ Ctrl + F, the note will disappear from the note list results since it no longer contains any matches for your keyword for that set of notes
  • Repeat the above process for each note in the note list. (The next in line will automatically be selected).
  • 1 year later...

The easiest way to do what you want is to manually go through the notes you're looking for your keyword in:

• Isolate the set of notes you need to edit into either a tag or notebook context
  • Type the word/ phrase you need to replace into the search bar within that context
  • Hit Ctrl + F on the first note and type in your keyword to be changed... (OR use the find and replace feature if you have many instances in that note)
  • Once you've changed the first keyword, hit Ctrl + G or Ctrl +F again. This will take you to the next instance of your keyword.
  • Once there are no more instances of your keyword within a note and you hit Ctr + G/ Ctrl + F, the note will disappear from the note list results since it no longer contains any matches for your keyword for that set of notes
  • Repeat the above process for each note in the note list. (The next in line will automatically be selected).

Wow... in other words "No there isn't a way to do this with Evernote"  ... 

Got a solution? Other than with the power of your mind?

You mean, other than sarcasm from a "guru"?  paying customers shouldn't have to spend time finding workarounds for basic features ...   and, customers have been begging for usable search-and-replace (and custom sorting) for at least 5 years now.  Evernote, at its core, is to manage lots of text notes ... so asking for a search and replace is not something any user should be made to feel unreasonable for expecting, or requesting.

• Level 5*

Alternatively, assuming you have no attachments, export, convert to .txt, find and rplace with bbedit or automator, import into evernote. i've done that before. round trip, with ten thousand or so notes, it only takes about twenty minutes. i separate pdfs, images, and text in my account (instead of having them all inside one note, so that tends to simplify the process.

theoretically, i think you could write an applescript or use automator to do this directly on .enex files in their home locations, but i have never done it.

On 5/27/2016 at 10:02 PM, cornell2 said:

You mean, other than sarcasm from a "guru"?

Where you missed the mark from the get go is that regardless of the "Guru" status, I'm a human being, just like you... and a paying Evernote customer... just like you... and unlike you, I actually try to contribute positively... as opposed to making fantastically void comments. 

Go ahead and request all you want. Knock yourself out. What you're requesting is awesome... but kicking things off with, "Wow... in other words...". is your melodramatic 5 cents that's going to twist Evernote's arm?... and you ridicule others for making an effort? A fine human being you are to have a comeback after such a crappy start.

On a lighter note, @cornell2... here is some extremely good news re: find and replace across multiple notes in Evernote. Some exciting stuff in the pipeline:

http://bit.ly/18gECvy

• 7 months later...

If someone actually needs this I wrote a little tool that does just that. If you know Python and have a Windows computer it should be pretty straight forward to get it working.

Feel free to check it out here. (FYI this actually works not just a rick roll :))

Archived