Creating Phone Call Log?

Rob25

I am switching from Ask Sam to Evernote.  In Ask Sam, there is a phone call  log template that when opened, lets me write down the name, phone number of the person I am calling, and then the date, time  and duration of the call are automatically entered into the form.  Then I can type notes during my call, including several pages if it is a long call and then save the file. I can then enter follow up actions including the date to make a return call etc.   I can store and search the call logs by name or date or topic etc.  The same note taking system can be used for meeting notes etc.   How do I do this with Evernote?   Is there a built in form for this that does the same thing as the Ask Sam call log I just described?  And while we are at it - are there other built in forms templates  that can be used?  Unless there is either a template system or a work around - I do not see what value evernote has -is there a way to do this or do a work around?

Thanks,

Rob25

• Level 5*

Evernote does not have forms for anything, phone calls or otherwise.  And it doesn't have formal templates.

But what you can do is create what you would call a template, save it in a Note, and maybe in a Notebook named "Templates" (or any name you choose).  Then, when you need this form for a real note, copy the "template" note to the target Notebook.

You can design the "template" note any way you wish, but what I have found that works well is to use MS Word to create a table for the form, and then copy the table (not the file) from Word to Evernote.

The Note you use for a "template" can contain tags, and you can include these tags when you copy the note.

I have about a dozen of these "template" notes, and it works very well.

Thanks Explorer,

Besides setting up a notebook for templates and then copying them as needed - much like have a form like a fax cover letter or letter head in word and then changing the file name before using each time -  would it make sense to set up a separate notebook for all my phone call notes, and another for meeting notes etc?   When I do this longhand - I have separate spiral notebooks that are written in chronologically - it that the idea behind the notebook thing?   (Note -I tried to go through  the evernote intro page - but do not have the patience to watch all the videos - I just want to read instructions - and just ordered  "evernote for dummies"  to try to figure out how to get my mind around this thing - thus the basic questions!)

Thanks again

• Level 5*

You could use Notebooks for Phone Calls and Meetings, but you will probably find Tags more useful and flexible.

If it were me I'd create tags "PCall" and "Mtg" (I like brief tags, but you can spell them out if you prefer -- just don't use spaces).

To add some search flexibility you might use a prefix like "Type.".  So you would have "Type.PCall" and "Type.Mtg".  Use any prefix that makes the most sense to you.

I also create tags for people in the form of Peo.FNameLNameInitial.  So for "John Doe", it would be "Peo.JohnD"

So, let's examine how this would work for searches:

• tag:peo.*                          -- returns notes about all people
  • tag:peo.johnd                  -- returns all notes about John Doe
  • tag:peo.johnd  tag:type.*  -- returns all notes for John Does with either Phone Call or Meeting
  • tag:type.pcall                   -- returns all Phone Call notes
  • etc -- this should give you an idea of what can be done

Note that when searching the Tag name is case insensitive.  So that means you can just use all lower case when assigning a tag or entering search expression.  But when I create the tag I use CamelCase to make the TagName more readable.  It's best not to use spaces in Tag Names (and Notebook names) because if you do you always have to enter the name in quotes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks explorer --

Just to be clear  I am not trying to use evernote in an expansive way yet - just use it to keep track of phone conversations and meeting notes.  If I understand what you are saying - by using various tags at the start of each phone meeting notetaking session - that takes the place of the templete fields that are pre determined in ask sam that are used to do sorts or searches by fields such as dates, company or peoples names.  But even with tags  can I keep the logs within a notebook so it is all in one place?  If you don't use a notebook, where do the log files reside.  Isn't a notebook just like  a folder or am I missing a concept here?

I have no intention at this time of  mixing this in with my emails - those are all organized with numerous in baskets  in Thunderbird and can be  sorted by date  or subject - or anything else I might be writing.  I use word for my GTD next action lists.  Before throwing everythin into the mix  I think I better read some books about all this first!

• Level 5*

You might find this introduction material helpful:

In short, Notes are stored in Notebooks (which are analogous to folders), and Notebooks can be stored in Stacks.  Evernote does NOT support sub-notebooks.

Tags are independent of Notebooks, and the same tag can be assigned to more than one Note.

For more on Tags, see The Benefit of Using Tags

It is generally suggested to start out with a very few Notebooks, and to use Tags where you might have used subfolders on your PC/Mac.  

For more info try these Google Searches:

• Evernote organization
  • Evernote tags

JMichael,

Thanks for the pointers and links - I appreciate the suggestions -I will take a look at them - I also ordered Evernote Essentials - the Definite guide for New Evernote users by Brett Kelly on Kindle which may help also.  Thanks again for the help - Rob

• Level 5*

My two cents, similar to JM,  I created a template note with a two column table containing what I need for simple phone logging.  In/Out, Date/Time, Number, Who, Company, Purpose, Notes, Follow Up are the first column.  The only tag I added is !Phone.Log.  I exported a copy of the note to my desktop which creates an icon.  Now, whenever I need it, I go to the desktop and double click the icon and a copy of the appears in my Inbox notebook.  I then enter what I need to during the call with the final steps of adding any other tags as needed and moving the note to my primary notebook.  

Not overly sophisticated, but it works for me.  FWIW.

to JMichael - in lieu of Kelly - is there a better primer?  I also was considering "Evernote For Dummies" or  Evernote: Unleashed! by Jason Bracht -or  Evernote: Master Evernote in 60 Mins - The Unofficial Evernote Guide Book (Evernote, Evernote Essentials, Evernote..bu John Cliffod.  I am looking for something I can just sit down and read before bed  so I can get my mind around the big picture - away from the computer and definitely without all the time consuming how to videos I keep running across.  Bracht  shows a pub date as set 2014 -and Clifford is Oct 1, 2014 . would that be current enough?

To csilling - thanks for suggestions - your template sounds useful, but if it is two columns and everything you listed is in the left column, what is in the right column?   For some calls which may run 1 - 2 hours, I need lots of space for notes - and ideally full width of pages.  And what is needed to get the copy of the template filed on your desktop to appear in the inbasket when you click on it - is there a procedure that is needed to get it to do this or is it built into the evernote program?

Thanks to both of you - Rob

• Level 5

Here is the blank phone template I use. When I make or receive a call, I will copy it to my default notebook.

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAK7RIOWXXhPrrXNuQ_CKDp1U7kFwrGuleY/

Beneath the word NOTES: is an expanding area to let me add as much information as I  need.

Sometimes before I make a call, I will paste a link from another note into the phone template. This lets me jump back and forth from the phone note to the supporting information on a different note.

• Level 5*

to JMichael - in lieu of Kelly - is there a better primer?  I also was considering "Evernote For Dummies" or  Evernote: Unleashed! by Jason Bracht -or  Evernote: Master Evernote in 60 Mins - The Unofficial Evernote Guide Book (Evernote, Evernote Essentials, Evernote..bu John Cliffod.  I am looking for something I can just sit down and read before bed  so I can get my mind around the big picture - away from the computer and definitely without all the time consuming how to videos I keep running across.  Bracht  shows a pub date as set 2014 -and Clifford is Oct 1, 2014 . would that be current enough?

Rob, did you go through the intro links in my post #6 above?

I think that is really all you need to get started.  Evernote is really not that complicated, and most of the lengthy guides will be more meaningful after you have used Evernote for a while.

Evernote is like a blank sheet of paper in many ways.  You can set it up, organize it, use it, in a wide variety of choices.  You own needs, experience, and preferences will drive how you use Evernote.  Start slow, create a few Notes, a few Tags, and very few Notebooks.  It is easy enough to move Notes around later if you need to.

The biggest challenge with any guides/documentation, include that provided by Evernote, is that the latest versions have changed a lot, have broken some features, and have removed some features.  So we all are in a steep learning curve right now.

Read a little bit, and jump in -- the water's fine, and there is no deep end.   ;)

• Level 5*

For some calls which may run 1 - 2 hours, I need lots of space for notes - and ideally full width of pages.  And what is needed to get the copy of the template filed on your desktop to appear in the inbasket when you click on it - is there a procedure that is needed to get it to do this or is it built into the evernote program?

The template provide by JBenson2 is a great example, and great way to get started quickly.

If you really like the Phone Call form used by Ask Sam, you should be able to replicate it in MS Word, and then copy the Word contents into an EN Note.  I like to use Word Tables, configured to autosize, "fit to text".

Like JB, I prefer to keep my template Notes in a "Template" Notebook.  I find it's easier to copy, and to maintain/change the template.  In the beginning you will probably make lots of changes as you fine-tune the template to fit your needs.

• Level 5*

To csilling - thanks for suggestions - your template sounds useful, but if it is two columns and everything you listed is in the left column, what is in the right column?   For some calls which may run 1 - 2 hours, I need lots of space for notes - and ideally full width of pages.  And what is needed to get the copy of the template filed on your desktop to appear in the inbasket when you click on it - is there a procedure that is needed to get it to do this or is it built into the evernote program?

Thanks to both of you - Rob

1. Second column is where I do my entry.
  2. If you make the table width 100% it will span the entire note width based upon screen and EN window size.
    1. My template is at 60% since I don't take a lot of notes and with a 23 inch monitor it can be hard to follow the text across the page.  
    2. Here is the template, at 60%/   http://www.evernote.com/l/AAF0lJC8uZFFLaCrK-bLKnlU17SKXBf4SzM/
    3. The left column doesn't consume much space, less than an inch.  If you don't want to lose that inch, you can have the table at the top minus the note and just note space below it.
  3. To get an icon on the desktop you do File - Export - Export as a file in ENEX format (preserve tags checked in options) - Save it to your desktop with a name you like.  When you double click it just goes to your default folder, Inbox.in my case.

I prefer this method to the copy note, it is quicker for me.  I have a two monitor, set up and the icon is always visible.  So double click, got to Inbox and I am off and to the races.  But as all have pointed out, take the input and do what works for you.

EDIT:  The link looks terrible relative to how it appears in Windows.  Added a screen shot instead.  http://www.evernote.com/l/AAHJrJ8RZlpIF5XL-qdaD2dHeEOc-8n3k-I/.  Imagine the white space going to  the edge of the screen to the right.

my thanks to csihilling  JMichael  and jbenson2 for the help.  I will try to create some templates and adjust over time as suggested.

To JMichael - the links you provided will be helpful down the road but at this point they do not provide the kind of over view I need - I have been using computers since the apple II e came out in 1983 - and shifted to ibm pc as soon as they came out so I am conditioned to think in terms of Microsoft office docs and folders etc.I use an excel spreadsheet for my checking account, etc.  Something like evernote is not intuitive for me.  I tried to learn Photoshop from similar help sites like the links you provided but it was too confusing for me - I ended up taking an adult education  course locally  from an excellent instructor and then could get my mind around it.   I prefer sitting down with a book and getting the big picture first - I am not yet seeing where this fits into my life yet.   Once I get the big picture then I can work on the individual details and procedures. It is tricky to switch systems that have been in use for over 30 years while continuing to maintain my current productivity.   

Rob

Rob25, I was in your position not too long ago. I bought a couple guides right after downloading Evernote (EN), neither of which were any good to me.

Part of the problem is that it's very fast changing software, so any guide is very quickly outdated. What I found the most helpful was trawling through through the forum (I went back several months in some threads), and the EN Knowledge Base. Not as handy as a paper book, but definitely useful.

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/product/evernote/

Cheers.

my thanks to csihilling JMichael and jbenson2 for the help. I will try to create some templates and adjust over time as suggested.

To JMichael - the links you provided will be helpful down the road but at this point they do not provide the kind of over view I need - I have been using computers since the apple II e came out in 1983 - and shifted to ibm pc as soon as they came out so I am conditioned to think in terms of Microsoft office docs and folders etc.I use an excel spreadsheet for my checking account, etc. Something like evernote is not intuitive for me. I tried to learn Photoshop from similar help sites like the links you provided but it was too confusing for me - I ended up taking an adult education course locally from an excellent instructor and then could get my mind around it. I prefer sitting down with a book and getting the big picture first - I am not yet seeing where this fits into my life yet. Once I get the big picture then I can work on the individual details and procedures. It is tricky to switch systems that have been in use for over 30 years while continuing to maintain my current productivity.

Rob

Wordsgood  - thanks for the link to intro info etc.  I looked at it - but what I am still not getting is "what does evernote REPLACE" - in other words there is lots of info on how to set it up, writing notes, including audio and photos etc making to do lists etc - but at a more fundamental level - why do  this?   Right now, if I analyze it, I use the computer to do a series of functions - without evernote.  Word, excel and powerpoint are used to write notes, letters reports or do calculations or organize data or do presentations.  If doing internet searches I use bookmark folders for various topics and use Thunderbird for email because of the ease of setting up multiple inbaskets.  If I take notes on paper, they are put in project file folders and then discarded or filed permanently when the project is over.   I use a GTD (getting things done) action lists that are word docs on my desktop and a paper calendar for appointments. I carry a stack of 3X5 cards to take notes on if I am away from my desk and process the stack through my GTD physical inbasket daily.    It is not a perfect system - but it works ok.     Where it mostly breaks down is having stacks of papers from time to time accumulate if I put off the filing stage.  So my question is - not how to set up evernote or how to use it's feature, but where does it fit into the existing system I  (and many people) are currently using.  What does it replace?  And what stays the same?  It is a systems question and it relates to changing something(s) that are part of an existing work flow.    And what are the benefits from using it to replace existing systems in terms of saving time or increasing productivity?  That is what I mean by getting the big picture before diving into the details.

Rob

• Level 5*

Simple answer, in my view It replaces the paper and enables you to search/find things extremely quickly.  Think paperless and in EN's terms, your second brain.  You have to answer the benefits questions relative to its use to you.  Start putting the items you list above into EN and see how it works for you.

• Level 5*

but what I am still not getting is "what does evernote REPLACE" - in other words there is lots of info on how to set it up, writing notes, including audio and photos etc making to do lists etc - but at a more fundamental level - why do  this?   

Rob

Rob, the big picture of Evernote is that it does not replace any one thing -- it replaces many things.

Evernote is what I call a Personal Information Manager that works/syncs on just about all computing devices to enter, collect, and store your information (of all types) for quick and easy retrieval when and where you need it.

The scope of Evernote is as limited or as inclusive as you would like.  Some people restrict their use of Evernote to a specific subject or activity.  Others, like me, pretty much put everything into Evernote, with the exception of sensitive information that is not encrypted.

Pretty much everything you mentioned can be put into Evernote.

For me Evernote has replaced the following:

• Handwritten notes stored in notebooks/journals that I have used since college.

I used to have a small notebook always on my desk to jot down quick notes about anything that comes up, like phone #s, addresses, reminders, and more serious notes of my daily log of activities

• Handwritten notes I made in a small spiral notebook that I always kept in my pocket when I was out and about.
  • Research about products and services (mostly from web sites, some from catalogs) that I used to PDF and store on my computer.
  • Storage of receipts, both in paper and in PDFs in my computer
  • Reference information that I used to keep in my PC and in web sites/wikis
  • Pretty much ALL paper that comes my way that previously would have stored in physical file cabinets.  The exception being very important documents of either legal, financial, or historical nature.  Those I store both in Evernote and in my file cabinet.
  • Saving of most web site bookmarks in my Browser.  I now clip selected parts of a web page, that are of interest to me, using the Evernote Clipper.
  • A complete list of all of my personal assets, with supporting photos, documents, insurance, etc.  The uses for this are many, including insurance coverage, and documentation needed in case of a loss (fire, flood, etc).
  • and much more

The key for me is that ALL of the info I put into Evernote is available to me on all of my devices:  Mac, iPad, iPhone, Win PC.  I am really impressed that when I walk out the door with only my iPhone I have my entire personal database (Evernote) with me.  So, if I am at a store or friend's house, I can quickly pull up any supporting info I need.

While there have been PIM apps in the past, none of them offered the sync across all devices, the ease of entry/collection of information, and search that Evernote does.  Evernote not only searches the text in your notes, but also text in images, PDFs, and, if you are a Premium account owner, also searches MS Office docs, and Apple iWork docs.

Hopefully this will help you better understand the big picture of Evernote.

Feel free, of course, to ask more questions.

JMichael - thank you - that is a big help - I will digest this for a while and get back with specific questions - the first one that comes to mind is question of file size - In the past, I have been careful not to scan very many hand written docs because the scanner would then store them as jpeg or gif files which takes up a lot of space compared to word docs etc.  How does evernote deal with this - does it compress the scanned images so as to not take up too much space on your hard drive?  

Rob

• Level 5*

Rob, the best bet is to scan your docs to PDF, and OCR them before you upload to Evernote.

This will result in smaller files as well as more readable/useable docs.  For example, after OCR, you can use a PDF tool to make highlights/comments in the file.  If you have really large documents, which result in large PDFs (>> 10 MB), then you might try tools that let you reduce/optimize the PDF, thus producing a much smaller PDF file size -- all before you upload to Evernote.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - I appreciate all the help - I am ready to try evernote -I  downloaded the program but it says "can't connect to the server please try again later".  I know this question is off topic, but you folks have been really helpful - and I looked at other posts about this issue and all I can find is to uncheck ssl and make sure TLS 1.2  is checked which I did but it still won't let me connect.  I want to try program but can;t - any suggestions?   I left TL 1 and 1.1 also checked - is that ok?

thanks,

Rob

JM - I just tried closing the log in box and opened it again from list of programs via start button and then it worked.  made my first practice note - and will have to play with this a while - but since you are online - 2 simple questions - I don't see a save button -do I have to save note when done? and how do I get a note page to have just the note while typing and not all the other stuff - like work chat shortuts notes notemoods market premium and another column to right of that - it takes up an entire screen!  I am used to taking notes in either thunderbird or word and I make the page I am typing in small so I can use 1/2 of the left screen for notes and the second 1/2 screen for other docs and my second screen for 1 or 2 docs - this program takes up too much room on the screen. If I minimize it - the note taking box gets too small becauseof all the other stuff.

thanks,

rob

• 7 months later...
  • Level 5*

Hi JMichael,

Re:  The Benefit of Using Tags. Is it possible I could have the get the password for entering this forum?

I don't understand your question.  You are already logged in to this forum, as evidenced by your post.  No further logins are required.

———————————————————

EDIT:  Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:29 PM CST

I just tested this link, and verified it, and for now it is showing a request for a "Forum Password".

I have no idea what this is, but something is wrong.  That thread has been around for many months now, and was a pinned thread to the General Discussion forum.  I have no idea what happened, but I will report it.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

to JMichael- thanks for the ready-made template. I'm wondering if there's a way to have the time/date automatically entered into that field?

2B

Yes.  I have used both AppleScript  and Keyboard Maestro to replace placeholders in the Title and Note contents.

For example, replace [[DATE]] with the date in the desired format.

In fact, I use KM to create a new note from a selected "template", and fill in the placeholders.

Archived