New tags in Windows Client 5.6.4.4632

Vincent JJ

The Windows Client 5.6.4.4632 auto-suggests tags not only beginning with the characters you typed in the "click to add tags" box, but also suggests those tags where the typed characters appear wherever in the tag name.

E.g: typing "mag" will trigger the existing tag "books and magazines".

So far so good, but when selecting the suggested tag in that way, it does not allocate the existing tag to the note, but creates a new tag, in the example above "mag", which is of course not what we need.

On the other hand, typing "boo" will also show "books and magazines", and when selecting the existing tag it will be properly allocated without creating a tag called "boo". I.e. when the text typed occurs at the beginning of the existing tag, there is no problem, but when the string is found somewhere within the tag, EN unwillingly creates a new tag.

Any suggestions?

Vincent

• Level 5*

The Windows Client 5.6.4.4632 auto-suggests tags not only beginning with the characters you typed in the "click to add tags" box, but also suggests those tags where the typed characters appear wherever in the tag name.

See Autocomplete Tags Bug

Although it has been reported as a bug, you may also want to report it to apply more pressure on Evernote to fix.

See Submit a BUG report via an EN Support Ticket. Just start the Ticket Title with "BUG:  " to make it clear.

• 4 weeks later...

In addition to that bug, the new behavior is not good for me. I have a lot of tags, which I deliberately named to take advantage of the drop-down using the "begins with" method that Evernote used to use. Now this has been changed to "anywhere", so the drop-down now has far too many entries for me.  And I can't go back now and re-tag thousands of notes to change my old tag structure.

An option to choose how this drop-down works would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I've now downloaded 5.7.2.5753. The bug has disappeared... but only because tag selection works again like before 5.6.4.4632.

I.e. : existing tags can only be found if you know the character(s) they begin with. Hence, the creation of new unwanted tags is avoided.

Would be nice to search on tags by any portion of text they contain, but if I have to choose I go for the lesser pain (as before 5.6.4.4632 and again now 5.7.2.5753).

I've now downloaded 5.7.2.5753. The bug has disappeared... but only because tag selection works again like before 5.6.4.4632.

I.e. : existing tags can only be found if you know the character(s) they begin with. Hence, the creation of new unwanted tags is avoided.

Would be nice to search on tags by any portion of text they contain, but if I have to choose I go for the lesser pain (as before 5.6.4.4632 and again now 5.7.2.5753).

Yeah it looks like they just reverted back to the previous behavior. Glad to see it the bug fixed in some way

Archived