Clear explanation of local notes on Andriod

Hi All,

I'm new to evernote and I want to know clearly about how it syncs/stores notes locally. I have read the help documentation and forums but have found only ambiguous or confusing explanations. I understand that if you have the premium version you can select notes to store locally, no matter where they were originally created/edited, but my question is about the free version and notes that are created / viewed on my Andriod device.

I am worried that if I create a note, then sync, then go offline, it won't be available anymore. 

So, can somebody please simply answer: If I create a note on my andriod device, will it ALWAYS be available offline? Yes/No

Local notebooks and offline notebooks are two different things. Local notebooks are notebooks that exist only on a computer and are not synced to Evernote servers. Offline notebooks are an option for premium users on their mobile devices. If you are a premium user, you can designate any of your notebooks as "offline" through your mobile app. I sometimes create a special notebook that's small to so designate if I'm going out of the country. Generally, when I come back, I go back to not having any offline notebooks for space reasons.

Even if you are not a premium user, you may see some notes on your device even if you're offline. These are notes in the local cache. There's no guaranty they will be there when you need them. Don't rely on that.

Hope that helps.

Okay, thanks for replying everyone. Pretty much means that evernote is useless for what I want though. Maybe I'm becoming an old man now I'm in my 30s but don't you think it's reasonable to want control over where your own information is stored?

I don't want to be restricted to only storing my information on their servers, and I'm not happy to pay $50 a year to store something on my own goddamn phone ffs.

Can anyone recommend an app where you have control over where your own information is actually stored?

Apple's native Notes app stores notes locally on your device. So does Notability, which is currently free on the App Store (free until tomorrow).

That being said, I'm perpetually thankful that my notes exist somewhere other than my mobile devices which, of course, could more easily be lost,stolen, broken, or obsoleted. I rest assured that my notes are on Evernote's servers, my 2 computers' hard disks, my local hard disk backups. Evernote's desktop applications store and work on a copy of your Evernote database locally, yes, even for free users.

One device goes down, I still have all my stuff.

Top secret stuff is either stored on a local notebook on my computer, or if needed on my mobile device (this is usually never) then transferred via USB (actually, SFTP most often) to Readdle's PDF Expert applicTion (or their free Documents app).

Like Meg suggested, offline notebooks on mobile devices are best for those odd times when you lack a network connection, like her this typically only occurs when travelling internationally. Although some people like to also keep things like their automobile-related documents in offline designated notebooks in case they have car issues in the boonies without a network connection (I think Jamie Rubin, Evernote's paperless ambassador drew my attention to that use case).

• Level 5*

Okay, thanks for replying everyone. Pretty much means that evernote is useless for what I want though. Maybe I'm becoming an old man now I'm in my 30s but don't you think it's reasonable to want control over where your own information is stored?

I don't know that your age has anything to do with anything, but sure, it's reasonable to want to have that kind of control.

I don't want to be restricted to only storing my information on their servers, and I'm not happy to pay $50 a year to store something on my own goddamn phone ffs.

Please settle down. If you don't want to pay $50/year for Evernote's service, nobody's forcing you to do it. They provide a fine free service, but free doesn't pay their bills -- the bills that must be paid on behalf of all Evernote users, since they need to pay for servers and employees to maintain their service, even if you don't want to pay for it. So go use Notepad over Dropbox, or whatever.

Can anyone recommend an app where you have control over where your own information is actually stored?

The Internet has lots of free information available. Feel free to avail yourself of it.

Okay, for anyone interested with the same issue I had, I ended up getting somnote from the Google play store. Has the same features that I wanted, organising in folders and being able to attach pics or do handwriting, and you can choose where the hell you want to store it, locally or synced to you Google fb or a somnote account. Ui isn't as green though and it's also annoying that I don't get the same level of self satisfied smugness knowing I'm part of a hip trend that I would have if I was using Evernote.

Thank you, Megsaint. That is an excellent summary! I struggled with understanding this concept for quite a while myself. :)

Local notebooks and offline notebooks are two different things. Local notebooks are notebooks that exist only on a computer and are not synced to Evernote servers. Offline notebooks are an option for premium users on their mobile devices. If you are a premium user, you can designate any of your notebooks as "offline" through your mobile app. I sometimes create a special notebook that's small to so designate if I'm going out of the country. Generally, when I come back, I go back to not having any offline notebooks for space reasons.

Even if you are not a premium user, you may see some notes on your device even if you're offline. These are notes in the local cache. There's no guaranty they will be there when you need them. Don't rely on that.

Hope that helps.

Okay, for anyone interested with the same issue I had, I ended up getting somnote from the Google play store. Has the same features that I wanted, organising in folders and being able to attach pics or do handwriting, and you can choose where the hell you want to store it, locally or synced to you Google fb or a somnote account. Ui isn't as green though and it's also annoying that I don't get the same level of self satisfied smugness knowing I'm part of a hip trend that I would have if I was using Evernote.

Evernote is a cloud app.  They are very clear about this.  That's what attracts many people to it.  It is not part of some hidden agenda.  I'm glad you found something that works for you.  But you are like someone who buys a sportscar & then complains b/c there is no room for your kids & their dog & their sports equipment.  That doesn't mean a sportscar is a bad thing, so lambasting the sportscar is just plain silly..  All it means is that a sportscar is not for you.

Good luck.

Archived