Windows client getting slower.

Nick Smith

Hi Evernoters

For some time now, I've been experiencing a delay of up to 10 seconds between the time I select notes in the notes list, and the contents of those notes then displaying in the right hand window. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but it seems that this problem has got worse as the size of my notes database has grown (now 6GB, 7000 notes).  Running the re-index/clean-up function in debug mode doesn't help.  I can't see that my computer is an issue either, as every other program I use just flies - I'm running Win7 64bit with 8mb RAM on a very fast workstation.

There's a separate, secondary issue where Evernote hangs for 20 seconds or so before it responds again, but this doesn't seem related to the main issue.  I thought that after Phil Libin's last missive -- with the good news that the team were focusing on performance -- the Windows client would start getting zippier, but things are getting worse for me, and seriously disrupting my workflow now.  

So, I was just wondering if any other power-users out there are experiencing this problem, and if so, is there a remedy, or workaround, that could help speed things up in the short term.

Thanks in advance.

• Level 5

So, I was just wondering if any other power-users out there are experiencing this problem, and if so, is there a remedy, or workaround, that could help speed things up in the short term.

I don't have any good news for you. There does appear to a scalability issue when your Evernote data gets too large. The company says you can have up to 100,000 notes, but that is not my experience. Other power users have mentioned similar problems. One solution was to remove many of the PDF notes in Evernote and leave links in Evernote to those files stored elsewhere.

When I upgraded my 30,000 notes to version 5.0 in December 2013 I noticed the problem reach a critical stage (constant sluggishness, 10+ minute syncs, Not Responding warnings, Failure messages). I've tried many solutions including Evernote's debug reindex, debug optimize, full erase & reinstall. I even created a 2nd premium account to offload some of the older notes. No success with those attempts. The last suggestion from Evernote Support was to revert back to 4.6 which I did and the program is now running perfectly.

But as another user pointed out, I am living in a world that could suddenly collapse as Evernote releases new bug fixes and upgrades their synchronization process. So I am currently moving my important notes over to OneNote, OneDrive, DropBox, and Google Keep. I'll continue to use Evernote for my non-critical notes.

Thank you for your full response jbenson2.  I guess I was optimistically fishing for some kind of reassurance that things could be fixed, or would be fixed, fairly soon.  Oh well!

I don't have any good news for you. There does appear to a scalability issue when your Evernote data gets too large. 

The last suggestion from Evernote Support was to revert back to 4.6 which I did and the program is now running perfectly

Hmmm... I wonder if Evernote are still touting this as a viable option.  I understand it could potentially be a pain in the ass, but so is switching to Onenote at this point, and I need to do something fairly soon.

Same problem here. 5400 notes 6.3GB. Premium user with a couple of shared notebooks. Very slow since the update. My iPad, which I've loaded all the notes on, runs so much faster. The sync is SO SLOW on windows - even when I've only changed a few text only notes. And I hate that they removed the sync progress bar in the lower right corner. Crazy!

It would be really interesting to hear from any active users, with a similar sized database, who are NOT experiencing these issues. That way, it maybe possible to determine what the difference is, which could then point to a possible solution. 

• 1 month later...

Over 7500 notes, over 5Gb database, premium user. Same problems. I have a lot of notes with pdf attachments. I've turned off showing PDFs. They are only there as icons (if I select showing PDF's, situation is even worse.). 

I just found out about debug mode: run "evernote \debugmenu"

Away from my PC at the moment, but one of the debug menu options allows you to recompile your message list.  I ran that last week and it made a *huge* difference.  Much less "(Not Responding)" delays as a result.

Almost 17,000 Notes and 9.5GB with no problems.

But I did have a problem with 5.4 so have rolled back to 5.2.1.3108. However I am using the Business version.

Best regards

Chris

I rarely visit the forum but came this morning to ask if anyone else was having issues with the Windows app and it appears I am not alone.  I have 4500 notes and the program has become almost unusable, I am a premium user.  Every selection I make brings up the spinning circle or or "not responding".  I don't want to have to link to my PDF documents as that seems to mean I have to dumb down what I am doing because the program does not work as advertised.   

Running optimization right now. Interesting that in the Evernote window it says Not Responding but in the icon it shows a green progress bar. You would think the app window would give some indication of what was going on. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the tips.

Archived