(Archived) Palm Pre users?

After a couple of years with Windows Mobile, I just switched to the Palm Pre. Not sure if anyone else here has. One of the things I had to give up was an EN mobile client specifically made for my phone. I'm glad that the mobile website works, but it sure would be nice to have a dedicated client. I'm hoping that EN developers got a look at the Pre and have started doing some development for a version later this year.

What say you, Dave? Now that the Pre is officially out, do you have an official EN position, other than that you are considering developing something at some time pending how much a success the Pre is in coming months? ;-)

The claim is also that the Pre is fairly easy do develop for, but I haven't actually looked at the Mojo SDK...

Soon, as in TODAY?!?

I must say, you guys are awesome. And, very coy, apparently. I wonder, though: have you been working on this for months now, or is WebOS just that easy to develop for?

I am very happy with the Pre version. I love that I can edit notes; honestly, I wasn't expecting that in a first version.

Great job, and thanks so, so much! This is what I was missing the most from switch to the Pre.

Since I seem to be the first poster, at least in this thread, a question as well: is it possible to create a note when not connected (i.e., in Airplane Mode)? I tried and my note seems to have disappeared...

For months. We had it done in time for the launch, but it didn't make it up in the Pre application catalog for reasons outside our control. *sniff*

Glad you like it!

Absolutely, it's great.

Did you catch my question about creating notes when disconnected? Not a huge issue, more of a need-to-know thing... Thanks again!

EDIT: Forget it, I got it. The little folder icon is a "Save" button. Very cool. It would be nice to have a little more visual notification that a save while connected has taken, though. The notification when disconnected is very effective.

EDIT 2: Also, would be great to be able to save login info from one session to another.

You shouldn't need to re-enter your username and password in our app unless you explicitly sign out. Otherwise, it will keep your login information so you can use the mobile app quickly.

Other files should be viewable from our app if they're viewable from the email client, but there's a bug open with Palm on the PDFs, which don't work like they should. (I think you'd have the same problem if you went to a web page with a link to a PDF and tried to view that PDF ... it won't currently download and display it.)

Wonderful! Just downloaded and played with it a bunch. It's a great start and very functional as is. I'm sure you guys will be adding to it over time, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I can't search for a note in the same way that I can on the desktop - by a word in the title/tag/etc., right? It'll be great to see how this app develops but at this point it's good enough for basic entry and retrieval, at least of "recent" notes. Great job getting it ready by launch, albeit pushed a few days late for whatever reason...

I've been using the iPod Touch version since I purchased evernote and I was very happy to see that a version is out for my newly purchased Pre. Great start and I'm glad that I have a notepad application that works. Its definitely a first release and I can't wait until we see this brought up to par with the iPhone/iTouch version. Notable missing features are the ability to pinch/expand scale images (I have a web clipping that has the images all getting chopped when viewed) and the search features feel lacking at this time.

Great to see the Pre is off to a start though!

Thanks for supporting the Pre! I needed something to replace Palm OS memos and Evernote looks like it'll work great.

Currently the app works once when I sign into it. Then I can close the app and when I start it up it works without logging in (just like it should be). But if I close the app and try to login a third time, it prompts me for login info. When I enter my info and try to log in, it hangs at the syncing circle.

Otherwise it seems to work well. I can search, create, upload and get changes from the server. The link to email pics works nicely too. It would be helpful if you could zoom in/out and pan about on wide clippings like the default "welcome" message.

dvdmon - to search, just start typing when you're looking at our main screen. This will bring up the search box as you type. (This is a user interface convention of the Pre, I think that other standard apps behave this way ...)

The lack of zooming/panning in larger web pages is currently a Pre limitation. When Palm improves the WebOS, we think this will translate into correct behavior from Evernote.

Regarding having to log in again after closing and opening our application: it isn't supposed to work this way, but we've seen a few examples when the local key/value store on the device becomes corrupted, so we need to reset from scratch. We'll keep investigating this to determine how much of that we could be avoiding.

Thanks for the reports

I love the app, I was very happy to find it released so soon after launch.

Everything works as expected except I can't seem to get the location feature to work. Do you have to insert your location into notes or is it supposed to handle that for you; also does the location search support the geotagging of photos on the pre (if enabled)?

Again, thanks for a great service and a great app right ouy the gate!

Everything works as expected except I can't seem to get the location feature to work. Do you have to insert your location into notes or is it supposed to handle that for you; also does the location search support the geotagging of photos on the pre (if enabled)?

Evernote for Palm Pre will attach geo-location information to text notes soon after they are created. Once saved you can look at in the "Details" drawer of an individual note. You'll see the name of the city and state. Clicking on the link with open the map view.

Due to current device limitations with uploading binary documents, we aren't able to track the geo-location on snapshot or camera roll notes.

Evernote for Palm Pre will attach geo-location information to text notes soon after they are created. Once saved you can look at in the "Details" drawer of an individual note. You'll see the name of the city and state. Clicking on the link with open the map view.

Due to current device limitations with uploading binary documents, we aren't able to track the geo-location on snapshot or camera roll notes.

Now, when you say "current device limitations," do you mean to say that you have reason to believe that such limitations might be removed at some point?

Very minor bug: If Evernote is open and you have it on your quick icon menu thing at the bottom of your screen and you click on the EN icon, it shows a highlight (that circular light thing) but doesn't do anything. It should go into the main EN card, right? That's what other apps do anyway. When I go into the EN card manually and then come back out to the card view, the highlight thing is gone...

The lack of zooming/panning in larger web pages is currently a Pre limitation. When Palm improves the WebOS, we think this will translate into correct behavior from Evernote.

Regarding having to log in again after closing and opening our application: it isn't supposed to work this way, but we've seen a few examples when the local key/value store on the device becomes corrupted, so we need to reset from scratch. We'll keep investigating this to determine how much of that we could be avoiding.

Thanks for the reports

Dave - If you're comfortable answering, what's your opinion of WebOS and the Pre so far? There seem to be some limitations in what you've been able to do (one's you've stated; personally, I love the app), and do you actually know those limitations will be removed in the foreseeable future, or just hope that they will?

Now, when you say "current device limitations," do you mean to say that you have reason to believe that such limitations might be removed at some point?

Yes, we believe that there will be a way for us to invoke the camera directly from our application (like we do on the other mobile clients) in the future. For now, we can't talk to the camera at all, which is why we need to route snapshots through your email client to get them into Evernote.

Dave - If you're comfortable answering, what's your opinion of WebOS and the Pre so far? There seem to be some limitations in what you've been able to do (one's you've stated; personally, I love the app), and do you actually know those limitations will be removed in the foreseeable future, or just hope that they will?

It's a neat platform, and they've done some very interesting things with user interface metaphors, etc. We'd love to see Palm succeed with these devices. The OS itself is the very first release of a completely 100% new environment, so there are the usual set of kinks and speed bumps for developers. I expect all of these to be smoothed out in future updates, of course, but the first release of any OS is going to introduce a few challenges for folks like us.

It's a neat platform, and they've done some very interesting things with user interface metaphors, etc. We'd love to see Palm succeed with these devices. The OS itself is the very first release of a completely 100% new environment, so there are the usual set of kinks and speed bumps for developers. I expect all of these to be smoothed out in future updates, of course, but the first release of any OS is going to introduce a few challenges for folks like us.

Thanks for the updates and insights! Love the application so far, in spite of some inconsistencies, and can't wait to see future versions.

• 4 months later...

Pre is launched in UK now. Smart device, although nightmares with Google calendar synching : none with Evernote though!

Amazed that Palm ditched their core Memos application so carelessly (it's the functionality of things like that that secured their reputation) : field is wide open for Evernote.

I use notes very heavily, and the search facility from the Pre, whilst excellent if you know exactly what you're looking for, is of little use in some of my key uses. You don't always know exactly what you're looking for - that's the power of Palm's old memos. Evernote offers even more powerful browsing by having both notebooks and tags - brilliant! But these are not currently usable from the Pre itself, which is exactly when I need it!

I hope the key upgrade - soon - will be to enable this.

Archived