(Archived) Feature request: Order Notebooks in a hierachie

Hi,

is it planned for the next versions to Order Notebook in a hierachie?

I mean something like this:

notebook1

- notebook 1.1

notebook2

- notebook 2.1

- notebook 2.2

This would be a cool feature to me.

Best Regards

Tobias

I guess I'll just add my voice to this request, since I haven't in any of the other similar threads.

I know the company canned response is to use tags. I do that. It's a workaround. It isn't the same, however, nor is as good a solution. So if the canned response is simply to show a similar alternative, fine. If it's saying that tags are a perfect replacement, that is incorrect.

If tags were attached per notebook, it might work better. They're not.

I don't even need sub notebooks. Folders that allowed grouping one level deep would do.

• 6 months later...

Okay, now we're talking.

When did EN introduce multiple levels to tags and how did I miss the memo???

Thank goodness I found this post.

I think now I can organize EN the way I want to since I can create "Child tags" instead of "Sub Notebooks".

I still like the idea of "Sub Notebooks" better though to be honest because then it matches my PC system of organization.

Wow, folders for tags, how cool is that? I was about to suggest that Evernote adopt Deli.cio.us protocol of putting tags in a "cloud" with tags getting bigger the more they are used (still a good idea), but this is pretty cool.

QUESTION: not that I'm playing with the folder feature, does anyone know how to drag a tag to another tag that is "far away"? The only work-around I can see is to drag the tag that is closer to the tag I want to take it too, and then drag it from there to the one I'm aiming at...which is pretty kludgey.

Wow, folders for tags, how cool is that? I was about to suggest that Evernote adopt Deli.cio.us protocol of putting tags in a "cloud" with tags getting bigger the more they are used (still a good idea), but this is pretty cool.

QUESTION: not that I'm playing with the folder feature, does anyone know how to drag a tag to another tag that is "far away"? The only work-around I can see is to drag the tag that is closer to the tag I want to take it too, and then drag it from there to the one I'm aiming at...which is pretty kludgey.

I think tags may take some adjusting to, but once you get the hang of it, they are very nifty. And really no different than folders/notebooks except offering more flexibility than folders/notebooks, since you can assign multiple tags.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, in the Windows desktop, you drag the tag to the top/bottom of the pane & then the list will scroll up/down. When you get to the tag you want, you move your cursor toward the middle of the pane & the scrolling will stop. Then you drop the tag where you want it to be.

Oh I'm already sold on tags! Intellectually, I know that tags are potentially more powerful than folders. Putting the two together like this is pretty interesting....I still like the "cloud" of tags that Deli.cio.us offers...Evernote presents me with the challenge and opportunity to really implement tagging seriously.

Re DRAGGING, I just retried it, and indeed, you're right, you can drag it to the "top" or "bottom" and then it will scroll FURTHER....you just have to wait about 5-10 seconds. I'm in a Mac environment btw.

I think tags may take some adjusting to, but once you get the hang of it, they are very nifty. And really no different than folders/notebooks except offering more flexibility than folders/notebooks, since you can assign multiple tags.

If I'm understanding your question correctly, in the Windows desktop, you drag the tag to the top/bottom of the pane & then the list will scroll up/down. When you get to the tag you want, you move your cursor toward the middle of the pane & the scrolling will stop. Then you drop the tag where you want it to be.

It's hard to explain to the Unconverted the incredible potential of tagging vs folders. I still USE folders, and with tagging in Evernote, as I've just learned, you can put your tags IN folders. But tagging offers heretofore taxonomic possibilities that have not been improved on since Jacquard in the 18th century (I'm talking about data taxonomy for laymen here, not what may or may not be available to mathematicians and their ilk) I have not found a well articulated disquisition on the subject on the Net. For someone to "get" the brilliance of tagging, they have to have an open mind, and they have to be "walked through it". I guess a Camtasia production might be a good way to go, but I don't have Camtasia....yet :(

IF anybody out there finds a good essay explaing the Power of Tagging on the Net, please let me know. Thanks.

"For someone to "get" the brilliance of tagging, they have to have an open mind, and they have to be "walked through it"."

As one of the Unconverted, I have in fact "walked through" what I need to do with Evernote and I have decided that Taxonomy be damned, I need subfolders. I am currently using a hybrid of folder naming with patterns of asterisks to keep like folders together (***Critical, **Work, *Project 1, *Project 2, Personal, etc) and then using tags to further organize and allow for searching. The added step of tagging beyond placement in a notebook is too much for my simple, closed mind to accept.

Hughjc

Archived