(Archived) Please help with STRATEGY

Hello, please help me with strategy, i can't combine business and personal things on my evernote. I get lost in my notebooks and tags. i cant figure out which logic notebooks and tags to have. I tried 2 methods, please help me out, is there any examlpes of Evernote organization?

Thanks

• Level 5*

Hi - I don't know of any detailed examples you could look at which might help you solve your query; if it's just keeping tabs on which is business, which is personal, and which, sometimes is both, why not have two tags - <personal> and <business> - and apply as necessary? Or have two notebook stacks?

• Level 5*

Hello, please help me with strategy, i can't combine business and personal things on my evernote. I get lost in my notebooks and tags. i cant figure out which logic notebooks and tags to have. I tried 2 methods, please help me out, is there any examlpes of Evernote organization?

Thanks

Hi. I just responded to you by email. Besides the resources I mentioned there, you can also find a lot of wisdom in this forum.

Yes, but i get very confused when i need to select tags, as i use nested teags for example

>personal

photos

bills

>work

-bills - it cant repeat here and in personal, or when i make separate tag for bills then it ruins other structure (bills arent good example, cause i relly have them separated)

anyway i did try that way, i akso try inverted, i used notebooks, personal and work, but again i had problem with tags.

• Level 5

In your example it is actually quite easy:

Create 2 notebooks "Personal" and "Work".

Create one tag "Bills".

Tag every bill with that tag.

Click the notebook you want to work from and click tag "bills".

• Level 5

Yes, but i get very confused when i need to select tags, as i use nested teags for example

>personal

photos

bills

>work

-bills - it cant repeat here and in personal, or when i make separate tag for bills then it ruins other structure (bills arent good example, cause i relly have them separated)

anyway i did try that way, i akso try inverted, i used notebooks, personal and work, but again i had problem with tags.

An alternate tag method is:

>personal

per-photos

per-bills

per-travel

>work

wrk-bills

wrk-travel

A side benefit: to see only work related notes, search for tag:wrk-*

>personal

photos

bills

>work

An alternate tag method is:

>personal

per-photos

per-bills

per-travel

>work

wrk-bills

wrk-travel

A side benefit: to see only work related notes, search for tag:wrk-*

I like this!!! :)

Another my conclusion after hours of brainstorming is this:

Just 1 NOTEBOOK - container for everything

Structure is made in TAGS, so basicly i simulate folders in TAGS

what do you all think about that? maybe you have more experience since i am new here, i just want to start with good structure.

Thanks

Structure is made in TAGS, so basicly i simulate folders in TAGS

EXACTLY!!!! :lol:

In the example Wern gave, your search could be:

notebook:personal tag:bills

Which is the equivalent to going to a folder/notebook named "personal" & then drilling down to the next level in a folder/notebook named "bills".

so why do we need notebooks?

Yes, I probably use more notebooks than most hard core Evernoters. Mostly b/c I'm lazy. However, there are times when a separate notebook is good. One is when brainstorming. I often create new temporary notebooks when heavily working on a project. It's good b/c I can do lots of searching on the web & plop the new notes/screen caps/whatever into that notebook. Then, once the project or research is over, I assign the appropriate tag, move the notes to a more general notebook & delete the temporary notebook.

Also, separate notebooks are good for premium mobile users. IE, all my notes will not fit on my iPhone or iPad. But I can select certain notebooks to be set up as "offline" (stored on the device.)

Archived