(Archived) Feature Request: Ability to modify the "code" of a note

It would be greatly appreciated if Evernote had the capability to go into a "code view" for your notes if you so choose. The basic WYSIWYG editor is great for most cases, however I find myself wanting to do some formatting from time to time, or edit a document I did a clip of, that Evernote simply can't do without me marking up an html webpage instead, and then use the clipping tool again, and even doing some of the more simple things such as having lists inside other lists isn't possible on the mobile version of Evernote unless there's something I'm missing.

The ability to optionally view and alter the actual markup of a note to edit it I feel would be a great asset for those of us who desire that little bit of finer control. This is one of the main drawbacks that is currently stopping me from using the Wiki System I currently use in it's place..

Another workaround is to export the note as an .enex make edits and then reimport it. Not sure if that is any quicker, but that's what I do if I need to do specific changes for testing.

I, an Evernote employee, actually use Nixnote to directly edit the HTML of a note and sync it up when I need to do this for testing purposes :)

We are very happy with the various applications that have been developed on our API, and all of the little power-user features that exist in the different products out there. While I personally would love to have direct-HTML editing within Evernote itself, it's not a feature that is scalable to all of our clients, so I recognize that it won't be added anytime soon (no matter how many times I might threaten dlu's unborn children ;) )

• Level 5*
While I personally would love to have direct-HTML editing within Evernote itself, it's not a feature that is scalable to all of our clients,

Are you guys really sure that ALL features need to be on ALL clients?

Sure seems like there are some things easily done on the "desktop" clients that probably would never be feasible on the mobile clients.

The ENML Editor, as mentioned by BnF, is my tool of choice to view/edit source.

I can't reliably use Nixnote due to the size of my database (8,000+ notes).

Good to know. I've not yet had the itch to modify the code-behind-the-curtains-of-my-notes. But I had downloaded Nixnote a couple of months ago, when I realized it had a Windows client. Just never got around to installing it. If number of notes is an issue, I won't proceed since I have over 8,000 notes, too.

Archived