(Archived) BUG: items pasted from safari no longer inheriting page name

soundsgoodtome

Idea

in the past, notes created by pasting text and/or photos to EN from a web page (by highlighting the info, then using the paste command) automatically inherited the name of the web page as the title of the note. this, of course, was immensely helpful for both organizing and searching notes -- and it saved time, because one didn't have to think about manually naming each note.

but now (presumably after moving to lion) that feature is broken. now, such notes all have the *same* name: "Untitled Note clipped from Safari" -- which is rather unhelpful.

regrettably, only today have i discovered this issue. so, i find i now have well over 100 notes with the same, generic title. the notes that contain text are searchable, but those containing only photos literally have no identifying information whatsoever. i may never be able to locate the sources of those images.

i do hope this bug can be fixed very, very quickly.

22 replies to this idea

well, i'm happy to report that as of this past sunday, notes are now properly inheriting the name of the web page from which the material was copied. frankly, i'd grown so accustomed to that NOT being the case that i didn't even notice the behavior had changed until today. :-)

as a result, i'm not sure exactly what changed on my computer, this past sunday. but since i routinely install all updates, i'm guessing there was either a safari or an evernote update that i installed, over the weekend. i also tend to restart my mac every 2-3 days. so it's also possible that something was installed prior to the weekend that didn't "take" until a restart on sunday.

for the record, i'm now running evernote 3.0.5 and safari 5.1.2, and i'm VERY happy to have this working properly again! fingers crossed!!

thanks.

(now, if anybody has a batch script that'll change each selected note's title to the first few lines of that note's text, i can partially recover from the last few months of untitled notes.) :-)

Sorry I should've clarified, we fixed this, so it seems to be an issue specific to your setup somehow. I'd advise filing a support ticket.

i have 3 macs, each with different software (but each running lion), and all 3 display this bug.

also, JMichael wrote:

I just tried Paste to EN from Safari, and the Note title is "Untitled Note clipped from Safari". :(

However, the URL field is filled in, unlike when I paste from other browsers, like Chrome. :)

Please make the Paste to EN capture both Title and URL from all Browsers. :D

Thanks.

I'm running the latest ver of everything, all on the Mac.

so, that's 4 machines that display the problem. no doubt there are more (but perhaps many aren't using the paste feature.) are you certain it was fixed? :-) do you still recommend a support ticket?

UPDATE: i've opened a support ticket.

i'm confused because dlu's post implied this issue had been fixed. but it clearly hasn't been. :-/

I just tried this using Paste to Evernote (^+cmd+V) and I got the page name in my clip. If you're still getting Untitled Note clipped from Safari that sounds like a bug to me

yes. indeed it's a bug that has persisted since before i began this thread in september. :) i now have hundreds and hundreds of notes with the title "Untitled Note clipped from Safari." i'm desperate for this to be fixed. :(

(i, too, am running the latest of everything -- mac OS, safari, and evernote.)

• Level 5*

I just tried Paste to EN from Safari, and the Note title is "Untitled Note clipped from Safari". :(

However, the URL field is filled in, unlike when I paste from other browsers, like Chrome. :)

Please make the Paste to EN capture both Title and URL from all Browsers. :D

Thanks.

I'm running the latest ver of everything, all on the Mac.

There have been a couple of updates since dlu posted that. Are you running the latest released version?

yes. anytime there's an update, i install it immediately -- and the problem persists.

i'm confused because dlu's post implied this issue had been fixed. but it clearly hasn't been. :-/

I just tried this using Paste to Evernote (^+cmd+V) and I got the page name in my clip. If you're still getting Untitled Note clipped from Safari that sounds like a bug to me

There have been a couple of updates since dlu posted that. Are you running the latest released version?

yes. anytime there's an update, i install it immediately -- and the problem persists.

So I went back and I realized you're using our Paste to Evernote functionality. There's been a few changes to that due to changes in Lion, but I understand what's going on now. Sorry about that. It's been noted, thanks for bringing it to our attention

• Level 5*
Are you referring to a simple copy/paste, using a clipper or something else?

copy/paste.

Also is this just on Safari or other browsers?

i only use safari.

ps. I'm moving this thread over to the web section

i use evernote for mac, not evernote on the web. but that's your call.

thanks.

In Evernote's world, Clippers fall into the Web section.

Are you referring to a simple copy/paste, using a clipper or something else?

copy/paste.

Also is this just on Safari or other browsers?

i only use safari.

ps. I'm moving this thread over to the web section

i use evernote for mac, not evernote on the web. but that's your call.

thanks.

Archived