(Archived) Feature Request: Linux client

I've been an EverNote Premium customer for 2 years and love it. You're missing the boat, though, in not supporting Linux. Look at the forum posts full of people trying to hack Linux solutions. Look at NeverNote, the open source effort to do what you have not. In just over 2 weeks since being mentioned in LifeHacker, NeverNote has been downloaded over 40,000 times. If there were an EverNote native client, it would see tremendous adoption.

Please reconsider your position and build a Linux client.

• Level 5*

Nevernote leverages Evernote's API, and seems destined for some success on its own. I was certainly impressed when I took it for a test spin (it was the Windows version). If it's doing well, then why would Evernote need to devote resources to covering that market? If Evernote has 6 million users, 40,000 is still only ~6.5% of that; the presence of Nevernote -- a strong Evernote client -- actually makes Evernote's choice in the matter all the more easy, in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

@jefito I see your point. And I would agree if Evernote donates 50% of my $45/year to the Nevernote project. Because Nevernote is doing the work for them and hence they should get part of the money.

But I assume Evernote will never do that. :)

...if Evernote donates 50% of my $45/year to the Nevernote project. Because Nevernote is doing the work for them and hence they should get part of the money.
That would probably be a mixed blessing. If they did that, then they'd probably expect a working product and actual support. As it is now, I can say "that's too bad" when it doesn't work and go have a beer. ;-)

In all seriousness, it may not be visible but Evernote has contributed to the project. Aside from answering questions, they've offered suggestions and even debugged a sync problem in the code when it was causing issues on their servers. Dave told me how to download ink note images and they provided some examples on how to encrypt & decrypt text. They've even offered to put it in the Trunk so it gets better visibility (but I've asked them to hold off until I get a few issues resolved).

@jefito I see your point. And I would agree if Evernote donates 50% of my $45/year to the Nevernote project. Because Nevernote is doing the work for them and hence they should get part of the money.

Why? All the Evernote clients are free. If you pay for a premium account, that has no bearing on any of the clients. You're paying for the larger upload limits (both monthly & per note), the ability to add any file type, access to note history, etc.

If you want to support Nevernote directly, you certainly can:

http://nevernote.sourceforge.net/projec ... mation.htm

We have an Affiliate program for partner applications (http://www.evernote.com/about/affiliate/) where we'll give the first $10 of revenue we get from any user referred to us from that app. So if Randy wants to list NeverNote in a popular Linux software catalog and then encourage people to create accounts from his app, he'll get $10 for each of those users who upgrade to Premium.

We have an Affiliate program for partner applications (http://www.evernote.com/about/affiliate/) where we'll give the first $10 of revenue we get from any user referred to us from that app. So if Randy wants to list NeverNote in a popular Linux software catalog and then encourage people to create accounts from his app, he'll get $10 for each of those users who upgrade to Premium.

If I'm already been a pro user, how can I donate my money to nevernote at the next year?

The affiliate program is for new users that come to Evernote from an application like NeverNote, but any app that wants to accept direct payments or donations is more than welcome to. There are a lot of apps in the iOS App Store that charge a dollar or two for their own app, and also participate in our referral affiliate program.

Archived