(Archived) How to resolve a conflict?

EugeneKiver

Idea

As simple as that. I have "Conflicting Changes xxx date" folder. But how to resolve the conflict? Is there a way to compare differences side by side? The only way I know now is to delete conflict note. But I can't see the conflict itself.

Version 1.11.0 (99371) Mac OS 10.6.5

13 replies to this idea

This should only happen if you've edited a note on the Mac and synchronized it after making a different change on another computer.

You could double-click on the conflicting note to open it side-by-side with the one in your synchronized notebook. But you may also be able to recall what you did with that note on both computers recently. This would include things like tagging a note, moving it to a notebook, etc.

I'll chime in and report that I had a weird conflict event. I was editing a text note which I had created on this machine when I got a conflict. I have not idea what would have been making a change to the note elsewhere to cause the conflict.

Oh, Beta 2.0

This happened to me on the 2.0 beta a couple of days ago, when Evernote started a sync while I was in the process of typing edits into an already-existing note. I'm about 95% sure there the Evernote client wasn't open on my other computer, and if it was, it hadn't been used for several hours.

When I compared the conflicting notes, the copy still in the original location had some but not all of my ongoing edits, and the fully-edited copy was the one in the conflicts notebook.

It looks like you created that note on one Mac (OS X 10.6.4) and then edited it several times later on a different Mac (OS X 10.5.8).

If the conflict occurred on the 10.6.4 Mac, then my guess is that you may have had some unsynchronized changes to the new note there when you quit the client. Then, you made edits on the 10.5 machine and synchronized them to the service. When you went back and resumed the 10.6 Mac, it pulled down the changes and saw that they conflicted with the unsynchronized edits there.

You're a good detective!

I was, however surprised to get the conflict event on what I believe was not the first sync by the second machine. Otherwise I wouldn't be reporting it. The timing gave me the impression that the server was changing the note long after the sync by the original machine, and subsequent to the first sync by the second machine.

Whatever the cause and case, I'm very impressed with the built-in recovery process that would isolate the conflict for safe examination by the user!

The timing gave me the impression that the server was changing the note long after the sync by the original machine, and subsequent to the first sync by the second machine.

It happened again. Is it possible that the slight delay in OCR of images is making a conflict on a subsequent sync? Web page is clipped on one machine, then synced. Then synced down to another machine. Then on the next sync of the original machine, a conflict occurs.

We designed the OCR mechanism so that it can't cause a sync conflict, or else this would happen really frequently to lots of people. When an image/PDF is processed, just that "Resource" is updated, and the "Note" itself isn't flagged as changed.

My best guess is that perhaps you aren't synchronizing before you quit/sleep/shutdown the first computer, so perhaps a minor change occurred there after the initial sync (e.g. tagging the note), and that doesn't get processed until much later.

Is it possible that the slight delay in OCR of images is making a conflict on a subsequent sync? Web page is clipped on one machine, then synced. Then synced down to another machine. Then on the next sync of the original machine, a conflict occurs.

I do a LOT of image clipping & have EN on two computers & a netbook. I have never encountered a conflict with those. IME, conflicts only occur if you change the same note on two different machines without having a sync. IOW, exactly the way Dave described it.

Archived