Evernote please respect my privacy

h85XUp

Idea

After enabling two-factor authentication, I'm required to fill in my phone number to receive a verification code.

To my surprise, Evernote just exposed all my email address to my ISP and local government. It's totally not respectful to my privacy.

You can choose to omit the email address or mask the email address like microsoft does.

I urge you to change that.

ever.JPG

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5

2 hints about 2-F-authentication:

When I changed my phone recently, I found out that Microsoft Authenticator as app comes fresh - but once it was installed and opened for the first time, it offered to load my accounts data. When loaded, it had all the codes running for the accounts. No need to get codes from other sources.

My password manager 1Password has its own ability to generate 2-FA-codes. It can replace separate 2-FA-apps.

If this is true for the google 2-FA, I do not know, because I don’t use it.

BTW: The SMS I receive from EN for 2-FA do not come with any further information, just the code send to my phone number.

On 12/16/2019 at 7:43 AM, PinkElephant said:

2 hints about 2-F-authentication:

When I changed my phone recently, I found out that Microsoft Authenticator as app comes fresh - but once it was installed and opened for the first time, it offered to load my accounts data. When loaded, it had all the codes running for the accounts. No need to get codes from other sources.

My password manager 1Password has its own ability to generate 2-FA-codes. It can replace separate 2-FA-apps.

If this is true for the google 2-FA, I do not know, because I don’t use it.

BTW: The SMS I receive from EN for 2-FA do not come with any further information, just the code send to my phone number.

My phone number is from the United States and i just confirmed again that it does include my email address. Evernote please fix it!

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, h85XUp said:

Evernote please fix it!

Moved to the feedback forum   
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5

I support the request. However, the codes EN sends me do not contain any information but the phone number they send it to and the verification code. They look differently and are send from a number starting with +44, which is a UK-number. Probably the format is generated by the service provider used by EN for this, which may be a different company depending on location.

One more thing: I learned that with a paid account other Authenticator apps can be used as well, not only Google Authenticator.