What is it and how do I get rid if it?

There's a URL that appears at the upper right above the toolbar. It's always been there I guess but I only noticed it recently. It can be cleared easily enough but I was wondering how to stop it from getting there in the first place and is there a way to automatically go through all notes and clear it, or is it one at a time manually?

Capture.JPG

• Level 5*

It's the note's source URL, for example, if it comes from, say, a web clip operation, or yo do a cut/paste from a web page to create the note. I's also displayed in the note Info panel, the "URL" entry, or if you use one of the list views, it's in the "Source Url" column. No way that I know of to remove that field from the header panel above the editing toolbar, or to even configure that panel in general.

To prevent URL info being added to an existing note, just add spaces in the URL field, it will remain empty after that. 

For new notes, you could save an empty note with spaces in the URL to use as a template with the duplicate note feature.   This doesn't work with the save as a template feature, nor with an ENEX export file, for some reason.

There's more than one way that this URL field can get populated.

A more common way for me is: If the URL field is blank in an existing note, and you paste something into that note that came from a Web page (or any software that provides URL metadata to the OS's clip buffer), Evernote will put the URL in this field. I think it was meant to be helpful, but it is annoying that you can't turn it off. For example, if select just my balance from online banking, copy, then paste into Evernote, Evernote puts a URL in the note that contains tokens that are likely related to keeping my bank account secure. I don't want Evernote to retain these tokens!

• Like 1
On 9/19/2019 at 10:46 AM, Don Dz said:

save an empty note with spaces in the URL to use as a template with the duplicate note feature

Yup. Works for me. I use the "Duplicate" all the time and this will help a bunch. Thanks muchly.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 9/19/2019 at 10:46 AM, Don Dz said:

To prevent URL info being added to an existing note, just add spaces in the URL field, it will remain empty after that. 

For new notes, you could save an empty note with spaces in the URL to use as a template with the duplicate note feature.   This doesn't work with the save as a template feature, nor with an ENEX export file, for some reason.

Today i learned, if you create a note with one or more spaces in the URL field, then export that note, the resulting .ENEX file will preserve those spaces. If you inspect the .ENML file in a text editor, you will see:

<source-url> </source-url>

The problem is, when you import that .ENEX file, Evernote will treat that space as whitespace (which is the XML/ENML standard) i.e. it ignores them. This means the resulting note will have a blank URL field. However, if you hand-edit the .ENEX file to look like this:

<source-url>https://example.com/</source-url>

Then the resulting note will have the URL field populated with example.com. By trial and error, I discovered you have to put something inside the <source-url> tags that the importer considers to be a valid URL. So you can't do:

<source-url>&nbsp;</source-url>

The closest I could get before I gave up trying was:

<source-url>null:</source-url>

This won't make the URL field in the note blank, but it will ensure that field isn't filled automatically, and if you click on the field in Evernote, it won't do anything.

I hope this helps someone.