How do I make online-only notebooks?

fred2112

Hi Guys, 

I want a subset of my notes with FULL control and functionality the rest I'm happy to have reduced functionality of Evernote web. How do I do this please? 

I don't have EN windows at the moment so can't test this out by trial and error. 

Also I'm  considering maybe moving most of my static notes to a free account but there are a lot or them 15K+. What would be the best way to do this and would it be easy to switch between accounts without having to login/out every time?

thanks in advance.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, fred2112 said:

I want a subset of my notes with FULL control and functionality the rest I'm happy to have reduced functionality of Evernote web. How do I do this please? 

For Evernote on IOS/Android the default is online notebooks (there is an offline notebook option).  Windows/Mac only support a full offline copy of notebooks.  Windows has an data feature which removes unused offline data so it's online only.

My solution would be two accounts; web access and Windows/Mac access.  Use shared notebooks so the web access account has a full set of data

>>Also I'm  considering maybe moving most of my static notes to a free account but there are a lot or them 15K+. What would be the best way to do this

I would use export/import.  The free account may need to be Premium for a month to allow for upload limits.

Shared notebooks can also be used to transfer notes

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, fred2112 said:

Also I'm  considering maybe moving most of my static notes to a free account but there are a lot or them 15K+. What would be the best way to do this and would it be easy to switch between accounts without having to login/out every time?

On your free account, you might want to go premium for a month or two to get all of your notes moved over otherwise you are limited to the free account restrictions and it could take several months to move your data over.

• Level 5

Account handling will not be that comfortable though. You have to be logged into every account individually. You can do this for example by using an EN client for one account, and the web client for the other. This will work on any desktop, be it Win or Mac.

Thanks everyone. I've been considering splitting for a while. I'm gonna just go ahead and do it.  Then maybe I will actually be able to retrieve some stuff from my 15000 notes! Of course the non-retrieval thing probably suggests I don't even need a second account just delete it all and start again!!!!  ....and so goes my LOVE/hate relationship with EN ;-). maybe anti hoarding therapy would be more appropriate. 🙂

cheers

• Level 5

Depends on what is your goal.

Because you practically pay for uploading, not for having notes, your 15k will consume no fodder.

But when it harms your search performance, you could simply add a tag like „Nosearch“ to all of the stuff you do not want so see, and exclude it when searching. My gut feeling is that splitting all that stuff into 2 accounts is a bit like curing your cold by catching pneumonia.

49 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Depends on what is your goal.

Because you practically pay for uploading, not for having notes, your 15k will consume no fodder.

But when it harms your search performance, you could simply add a tag like „Nosearch“ to all of the stuff you do not want so see, and exclude it when searching. My gut feeling is that splitting all that stuff into 2 accounts is a bit like curing your cold by catching pneumonia.

well the main problem was that windows EN just didn't  work and kept hanging. I would go to use it and it would take  a minute and a half to wake up. - even just typing a new note. Stuck with it for years like that but then gave up and moved  to web only. But now I come to merge and do other stuff I realise that web doesn't do it.

It is nice to know that stuff is there if I really need it so starting again would probably be cutting off my nose to spite my face so to speak - although there is no real spite going on anywhere!  EN does seem to be getting better since the shift in management from what I've seen over the past year so giving windows a go again with fewer notes and a better tagging system is something I want to do.  Tried one note but it wasn't for me. Most of my day to day stuff is now in ms office & simplemind. It would be sooo cool to have that(simplemind) integrated into EN! Remote access via splashtop means I can get access most times but it's not ideal and certainly not what I envisaged when I started with EN back in the day.

• Level 5

There was recently a thread that in the Windows client, a temporary folder with attachments was building up.

When this folder was emptied, the client came back to perform with its original speed.

Maybe you can find that thread, find that folder, empty it and report about your experience.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:25 PM, PinkElephant said:

There was recently a thread that in the Windows client, a temporary folder with attachments was building up.

When this folder was emptied, the client came back to perform with its original speed.

Maybe you can find that thread, find that folder, empty it and report about your experience.

okay that's interesting! of course I have no EN desktop database now but I guess I may need to create one again to do the export of notes. If that is the case then I may look into that before I go ahead. Cheers.