Wrap long note titles in Snippet View

Hanno1981

Idea

Snippet View:  Titles that are too long are not wrapped (i.e. continue on another line), but instead show with ... at the end.

has this always been the case in recent versions?

can you point me to a version that does this if there is one?

i'm on the current Beta: 6.15 Beta 2

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, Hanno1981 said:

Snippet View:  Titles that are too long are not wrapped (i.e. continue on another line), but instead show with ... at the end.

has this always been the case in recent versions?

I can't answer if this has always been the case, I tend not to have very long titles but I notice that I have some that do wrap and some that don't.  Ones that wrap have an image or a pdf.  That must be forcing the text wrap.  Plain text note titles don't wrap and instead end with the ellipsis.  This isn't a fix but you can change the width of the snippet panel which may help some.

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I can't answer if this has always been the case, I tend not to have very long titles but I notice that I have some that do wrap and some that don't.  Ones that wrap have an image or a pdf.  That must be forcing the text wrap.  Plain text note titles don't wrap and instead end with the ellipsis.  This isn't a fix but you can change the width of the snippet panel which may help some.

thanks.

in my current version, no title wrap, regardless of image or pdf.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, Hanno1981 said:

in my current version, no title wrap, regardless of image or pdf.

I'm using the last public version, 6.14.5.7671 (307671) Public (CE Build ce-48.0.5483), so hopefully just a beta issue that will get corrected..

i might try to revert to that version actually.

but hang on: i thought 6.13 GA is the latest non-beta version? that's at least the one in windows forum. i'm confused where do i find your 6.14....

and i just noticed (still in my 6.15 Beta 2): in CARD view the title wraps nicely.

sigh... why can't this be consistent in snippet view as well? Card View is too big for my liking. Snippet is fine, but i want to see the note titles, not just 25% of the title... 

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Hanno1981 said:

but hang on: i thought 6.13 GA is the latest non-beta version? that's at least the one in windows forum. i'm confused where do i find your 6.14....

I have enable beta features deselected.  Uncheck that and see what version update points you to.

You're right, I also don't see a post for 6.14 GA.  Evernote has been a little inconsistent in that area.

just reverted to that 6.14 version and no wrapping there either, in any Snippet note.

it became so apparent to me only recently with 6.15 Beta 2 when all the titles became bold (6.14 does not have that).

oh what a shame they can't take the wrapping from Card View to the Snippet View :(

• Level 5*

This is what I'm seeing.  In the top snippet the title does look wrapped due to the image next to it.  The bottom snippet is the same note with the image removed and text added so you can see the expanded title on one line.  That said, I've noticed that the width of the snippet panel plays into this.  If I narrow it I can get ... to show even on the snippet with the image.

wrap.jpg

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

This is what I'm seeing.  In the top snippet the title does look wrapped due to the image next to it.  The bottom snippet is the same note with the image removed and text added so you can see the expanded title on one line.  That said, I've noticed that the width of the snippet panel plays into this.  If I narrow it I can get ... to show even on the snippet with the image.

wrap.jpg

No horse in the race, side list devotee, but, the characters displayed are the same for both snippets and it looks like the whole title.  What happens if you add text to the titles?

• Level 5*
50 minutes ago, CalS said:

the characters displayed are the same for both snippets and it looks like the whole title.

That is correct, it is the whole title.  If I extend the length of the title they both will truncate, but the snippet with the image shows two lines before cutting off.  The snippet with just the text cuts off at one line.

I have no problem with any of this, just find it interesting to note.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

That is correct, it is the whole title.  If I extend the length of the title they both will truncate, but the snippet with the image shows two lines before cutting off.  The snippet with just the text cuts off at one line.

I have no problem with any of this, just find it interesting to note.

Thanks.  Looks like the output format is designed to be different with and without images in Snippet.

So Evernote won't wrap the text in the title? So that means when I am working on a Mac, in a narrow window, I can see the body text wrapped but not the title?

Ok - I've just spent ten hours transferring my notes to have them be absolutely useless. 

I was really enjoying Evernote until then - and now I can't use it at all - because I use the titles as a reference -but now I can't see them when they get past the right edge of the screen. My goodness this is 2020!