Jump to content
  • 0
mlondon

How to upgrade to 7.x, while keeping an escape route back to 6.x?

Idea

Hi,

I'm running Evernote for Mac 6.13.3. Have been watching as Evernote released 7.0, and 7.1, but I'm NOT confident that my daily Evernote needs, and my data, will be safe.

Is there a way to backup my data and app in such a way that if I upgrade to 7.2 (beta) but it doesn't work, that I can revert back to 6.13.3?

(I've been an Evernote Premium Customer for 7 years. What a tragedy that this company cannot properly execute software. Not to trivialize the complexities of software development, but there are plenty of companies who make sophisticated multi-platform apps (OmniGroup comes to mind as does Literature&Latte who makes Scrivener) that WORK. Yes, there will always be bugs, but Evernote seems to have landmine-strewn field full of them. End of rant)

 

Share this post


Link to post

6 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0
30 minutes ago, mlondon said:

Is there a way to backup my data and app in such a way that if I upgrade to 7.2 (beta) but it doesn't work, that I can revert back to 6.13.3?

The master version of our data is stored on the Evernote servers (except for Local Notebooks)
This is not impacted by the software versions we install on our devices.

I installed v7.2 and discovered an issue I couldn't work around.
I completely removed Evernote; app, database, components, ...
I installed a previous version; logged in; and my database was rebuilt from the servers.

>>if I upgrade to 7.2 (beta) ... Yes, there will always be bugs, but Evernote seems to have landmine-strewn field full of themimages.jpeg.9cdc7c6428636a9dc9a04c4f9821f1ca.jpeg

As a beta tester you will help identify bugs before they reach the GA release.
 You are entering the land mine area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
14 minutes ago, mlondon said:

Is there a way to backup my data and app in such a way that if I upgrade to 7.2 (beta) but it doesn't work, that I can revert back to 6.13.3?

Why would you want to upgrade to an Evernote beta version?

Based on my past experience (on the Evernote Windows side), this is a risky move. I grew tired of the standard response to uninstall and reinstall when there was a problem.

I stopped evaluating Evernote betas a couple years ago. I did not want to be the Evernote Quality Control guineau pig.

And to be on the safe side, I no longer upgrade to the current general release until it has been out in the marketplace for a few weeks. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
25 minutes ago, mlondon said:

(I've been an Evernote Premium Customer for 7 years. What a tragedy that this company cannot properly execute software. Not to trivialize the complexities of software development, but there are plenty of companies who make sophisticated multi-platform apps (OmniGroup comes to mind as does Literature&Latte who makes Scrivener) that WORK. Yes, there will always be bugs, but Evernote seems to have landmine-strewn field full of them. End of rant)

Fully agree with this. I wouldn't recommend updating to 7.x currently because there are too many bugs.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
56 minutes ago, janstet said:

Fully agree with this. I wouldn't recommend updating to 7.x currently because there are too many bugs.

Janstet, Are you suggesting that none of the 7.x releases (even the non-Beta 7.1.1) are worth trying?

jbenson2 - Yes, you are right, upgrading to 7.2 beta is not a smart move.

Thank you...

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Quote

I installed v7.2 and discovered an issue I couldn't work around.
I completely removed Evernote; app, database, components, ...
I installed a previous version; logged in; and my database was rebuilt from the servers.

DTLow, - Thanks. Just to be clear, will this work (rebuilding database) even if I go back to a pre 7.x version? (ie 6.13.3)

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 minutes ago, mlondon said:

DTLow, - Thanks. Just to be clear, will this work (rebuilding database) even if I go back to a pre 7.x version? (ie 6.13.3)

Yes, you can revert to pre 7.x versions; 6.x shouldn't be a problem.

>>Janstet, Are you suggesting that none of the 7.x releases (even the non-Beta 7.1.1) are worth trying?

I'd recommend you review the release discussion notes; sample posted below

- Check out the features being changed; anything important to you?

- Check out the detected bugs; anything you can't live with?

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...