Save your scanned files in PDF, JPG or PNG format

Hubertmurray

Idea

When using the Evernote integrated camera scanner, it saves the document as a PNG file. I would like to have the option of saving it as a PDF file. I'm using android and downloading scannable from the play doesn't seem to be an option for me.  

If you take/scan photos and save them in image format (PNG), you can access your Evernote account in a Desktop and right click on any image and select "Convert Note into PDF". After doing this, you will create a new note with all the content in a single PDF file. But, it would be much better if the option was available via my mobile device. It would be a much better option if Evernote could have this function itself as opposed to an external app. 

Is there any sign to develop this feature in future? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 replies to this idea

On 4/7/2018 at 5:47 PM, Hubertmurray said:

When using the Evernote integrated camera scanner, it saves the document as a PNG file. I would like to have the option of saving it as a PDF file. I'm using android and downloading scannable from the play doesn't seem to be an option for me.  

If you take/scan photos and save them in image format (PNG), you can access your Evernote account in a Desktop and right click on any image and select "Convert Note into PDF". After doing this, you will create a new note with all the content in a single PDF file. But, it would be much better if the option was available via my mobile device. It would be a much better option if Evernote could have this function itself as opposed to an external app. 

Is there any sign to develop this feature in future? 

Good day, I know this is an old post, but I was hoping someone would know... I can't seem to find this "convert note into PDF" item.  Has this already been deprecated or am I just a doofus that can't find it?  I'm running 6.17.6.8292

• Like 2
13 hours ago, i_am_kevin said:

Any updates on this? I'm using Scanner Pro in the meantime; would be great to have this built in to Evernote.

It’s really funny isn’t it that for years the best work around for this missing vital feature is to simply use one of many competitors products that actually do scanning the way the user wants. I scan in apple notes for instance in order to get scanned .pdf files into Evernote. 
Add that to the long list of missing features, at least this one was carried over from the Classic Evernote, that couldn’t do it either. 

On 25.03.2019 at 08:05, Cardin said:

Используйте правильные инструменты для правильной цели. Если вы на Android, используйте CamScanner. Или Adobe Scan.

Можно иметь много разных приложений для разных целей, а можно все удобные функции включить в Evernote. 

• Level 5

EN is not a scanner app. It is a note taking app - for this purpose the scanning does the job to quickly grab a screenshot. If set to „document“ it searches the corners and autocorrects the perspective, plus cutting away the outside area. This is more than just taking a shot.

For subscribers the JPEGs will then be made searchable on the server. And this is more than most scanners will do.

If you need a scanner, a dark horse is Microsoft Lens. Free, with some nice functions for productivity use.

• Like 2

I know it's been a while. I just wanted to know if Microsoft Lens is still the best option as far as Android scanners

On 9/25/2019 at 11:06 AM, DTLow said:

Note Id is also not preserved

Instead of restoring notes, importing a .enex file creates new notes in a new notebook

goes? I honestly don't care for CamScanner anymore. 

• Level 5

Give it a try. Lens comes for free, with or without an O365 subscription. It works pretty well stand alone.

If it serves your use cases, then you can go for it, indefinitely and with all features. Most other scanners will start to cut back unless you subscribe.

• Like 1

The only thing I didn't like about the app, is batch scanning. I have to hit the scan button for every single page I am scanning. I read in a review somewhere, that said it would auto-recognize each document scanned and keep on going for each new page of documents, but that wasn't working for me when I tried it. 

I tried a lot of apps this morning. The only one I could get to scan almost hands free was Adobe scan. It was a little slow but I didn't have to keep hitting the camera button each time. I also tried your suggestion of using Microsoft Office Lens. It's a good quality scanner, but again I found it to be a little slower than Adobe. I'll keep trying out apps until I find one that suits my needs. 

I would also like that feature! The app scannable on the iPhone is also from Evernote, so where's the problem? Let me choose the default file type when I scan a document.

There are workarounds, but they all complicate things.

• Level 5

Just to mention it: Scannable is the child of an acquisition (back then when EN management was shopping themselves). It is 3rd party code, never really integrated into the app. Basically they just made it save into EN, and left it as it was.

Beside this historic view a better scanning function build right into the app has advantages, no doubt. To ask for it, feedback or a support ticket are the best ways known to us to send it directly to EN staff.

• Level 5

My best option for scanning with a mobile device is posted above, so I won’t repeat it.

From a quality perspective, I would avoid JPG as format for pictures of printed text. JPG uses a rather old compression algorithm that creates artefacts in the scanned image. This gives it a fuzzy look(like very fluid ink oozing around the letters) and has a negative impact on OCR quality. PNG as EN uses it is the better file format for this type of pictures.