Batch FIND / REPLACE

I have been using Evernote for several years as my notebook in a laboratory setting.  I love it.  I make it so easy to attach protocols, data files, summary slide decks, etc within a single experiment.

I have been under the impression that the "data labels" I've been using were de-identified (since Evernote is not HIPPA compliant).  However, there appears to be a lack of consensus where I work.  

To simplify matters, I would like to do a find / replace in my hundreds of experiments to add another level of de-identification.  The thought of doing this manually seems extremely time draining, not to mention at high risk of mis-labeling a sample.  

Is there a tool for being able to perform BATCH find / replace through hundreds of entries in a notebook?  Ideally I could make up a flat-file with a column for current name and a second column for the replacement name.

Thoughts?

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's nothing within Evernote to offer this facility,  though if you can create a list of all experiments it should be possible to copy and paste the current note titles into a spreadsheet to give you a start for your conversion table.  I'd imagine that an automation app like AutoHotKey should be able to do the rest,  or if you're Mac-based,  there will be scripting alternatives...

Unfortunately I am PC based.  I have text within the body of like I said hundreds (well, nearly 200) notes with attached excel spreadsheets, powerpoints, images, etc.  This has turned into my worst nightmare.  The current nomenclature should be de-identified enough as even I can't get any information on the samples.  I've considered exporting all of those notes to an HTML format and then moving them to a secure location - but there are formatting issues in doing that (yes, I've tried).

Thanks.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, labbrenner said:

Is there a tool for being able to perform BATCH find / replace through hundreds of entries in a notebook?  Ideally I could make up a flat-file with a column for current name and a second column for the replacement name.

As @gazumped said; nothing in Evernote
How about exporting your notes to enex (flat-file)
You can then use external tools for the batch find/replace
Then import the notes

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  The ENEX option might be a good choice.  Export your notes* - the originals will still be in your account - process carefully the find and replace,  then re-import the files to a different and local notebook to check that the operation was successful before replacing the original notes.  You will lose all note history - be unable to revert the notes to an earlier version - up to the date of the import.

Granny,  eggs and all that,  but you might want to try this on a few notes at a time initially to make sure the process is foolproof before attacking the whole database.  And take a separate ENEX backup of everything first just in case something very bad happens...

* make sure you export with tags (see options),  and one notebook at a time.  The export doesn't record the source notebook.

Sounds good except for one fact.  I have exported as *.enex files, but I've only been able to "see" them when I import them back.  I have no idea how to go about find/replace working in a flat-file document like that.  I can ask our IT experts I guess.  But this doesn't sound too easy for a novice.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, labbrenner said:

I have no idea how to go about find/replace working in a flat-file document like that.  I can ask our IT experts I guess.  But this doesn't sound too easy for a novice.

A Windows user can reply with a more specific answer.  At one time I used the UltraEdit app; there are many alternatives 

The Mac includes a TextUtil app to do this type of edit; I have also bought the Textastic app.

Please take note of @gazumped's post on the implications of .enex export/import.  This solution works but you need to know the downsides

• Level 5*

I use Notepad++ for plain text editing - and ENEX files are just plain (but very busy) text.  It (N++) will also handle find and replace,  but I'm not sure about batch operations.  You might be better off looking at a macro running between a spreadsheet and Evernote directly;  "find item a,  replace with item b,  rince and repeat..."  It is not a novice level job though.  Unless you have some expert help knocking around (or these days a handy 11-year-old) you may need to brew some coffee - or your beverage of choice - and start changing things manually...

1. export your notes to .enex files

2. multi-select the enex files and drop them in notepad++

3. just replace the tag(s) with the anonymized tag(s) in all opened documents at once

4. save all files

5. import the changed enex files in evernote again

Thanks everyone.  This is helpful.  I guess where I need to help is in finding/replacing a few hundred items.  For example:

Sample1 replace with Sample SF001

Sample 2 replace with Sample SK1001

Sample 3 with SF010

Sample 4 with SK999

Is there a bulk way to find and replace??? 

Thanks.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, labbrenner said:

Is there a bulk way to find and replace??? 

Your question has been answered in previous posts.

Evernote doesn't support bulk find/replace

You can export your notes and use an editor app to do bulk find/replace

Archived