New to Evernote ? - Examples of my Evernote Structure for taxes and important files

Ninjaneer68

Ok, So I am new to evernote and I was searching around for ideas of how to structure my evernote. I wanted to share wihte other new people and receive comments / feedback of how others use. 

My goal for evernote is mainly to have a core location for my important files such as taxes and other files I store in google drive

Examples of using organization in Evernote (Attached is a diagram of how I have my evernote notebacks and stacks set up

example, organize by year. The bellow structure is - Stack -- notebook -- Tags

1. _INBOX (Default Notebook) -- All emails and scanned files go here, tag as need then move to appropriate notebook
  2. _My-Files (notebook) -- All files with Tags go here if they don't go underneath financial management
  3. Notebook Stack -- (Stack) -- Collection of notebooks for taking notes
    1. IT Notes (Notebook) -- Random IT notes work related or home go here
    2. John Notebook (notebook) -- Where random notes about things will go
  4. Work Related (Stack) -- All work related Notebooks and files go here
    1. My Work Locations
    2. Wife Work Locations
  5. zFinancial Management -- Stack ( I start the stack with a "z" because I want the stack at the bottom of all the other stacks
    1. Taxes (notebook) -- W2, 1099, 1095, etc... actual tax documents saved in this notebook
    2. Expenses (notebook) -- everything below are tags - Anything with the below tag will likely be saved in Expenses Notebook
      1. YYYY --- Will tag with the year plus some of the below
      2. Receipts
      3. Utility bills
      4. Medical Receipt 
      5. Loans
      6. Bank Statements
      7. Credit Cards
      8. Budget
      9. Checks
      10. Tax Deduction
      11. ** NOTE ** 
        Because tags above exist underneath notebooks this is just an example of showing where files would moved if one of those tags are added to it
  6. TAGS <<-- What I have so far
    1. 2013
    2. 2014
    3. 2015
    4. 2016
    5. 2017
    6. Airlines
    7. Wife
    8. Backup <<-- I tag attachments with one of these tags letting me know I have the actually attachment backed up online some where such as Gdrive
      1. G-Drive
      2. G-mail
      3. Dropbox
    9. ME (my name goes here)
    10. Confirmation Number
    11. House Items
      1. Electronics
    12. Invoice-Receipts
      1. House A Expenses
      2. House B Expenses
    13. Kids
      1. Johnny
      2. Jane
      3. June
      4. Ginger
    14. Organization Notes
    15. Photos
    16. Receipts
      1. Medical Receipt
    17. Resumes
    18. Taxes
      1. Tax Deduction
    19. Travel
    20. Houses << -- Past houses we have lived in
      1. House 1
      2. House 2
      3. House 3
    21. Utility Bills
    22. Websites

Naming Scheme   << -- Still in work

Generic
YYYY-MM-DD-category-company

Documents tied to a person
YYYY-MM-DD-Person-File_purpose/category

Receipts 
YYYY-MM-DD-Vendorpurchasedfrom-Item

TAGS
Search for Notes missing tags
-tag:tagname   <<< this will show you all files that DONT have that tag name

I am about to integrate filethis.com into the above structure but I haven't yet

Evernote-Flowchart.jpg

• Level 5*

It's all good if it works for you.  

I also use an @Inbox notebook and don't worry about organization while collecting.  I use my Mac to process my Inbox: assigning tags, titles, notebooks

I avoid using Notebooks for organization, and use tags instead

• allows relational reference; i.e. multiple tags per note
  • allows me to assign notes to a notebook for specific purposes; Local/Synced, Shared, Offline

General Naming Scheme:   I use <subject> yyyy/mm/dd <description>

• I like to put extra details in the description.  I use intitle: searches, and often don't even need to open the note

Backups are important.  You already have one level, since your notes are backed up to the severs.  Evernote has a Note History feature, and you can implement your own backups.  My opinion is that backups are mandatory for Local Notebooks

Task management is important for me.  I make use of due dates (reminder) and tags

>>My goal for evernote is mainly to have a core location for my important files such as taxes and other files I store in google drive

I store everything in Evernote; no files on drives

• Level 5*

You lost me at "notebooks and stacks".  :P

I use notebooks to delineate access (i.e., local vs sync'ed notebooks, shared notebooks, offline notebook), not note content. Tags cover note content in my implementation.

• Level 5*

If you are in the US you might want to create tags with 1040 as a prefix (1040.SchedA, 1040.SchedB, etc.).  You might also want to put those notes in a local notebook.  For banks and credit cards you might consider a tag per entity (Amex, Chase, etc.)  Just use the house address for the tag name.  Consider preceding years  with an underscore, _2007.  This will keep them together in the tag drop down and sort to the front when sorting by tag.

Whatever you do try and use simple tag names that you can remember.  And as few as possible.  Note, tags are used across notebooks, not under.  Hope it works well for you.

Archived