Strike through checked items

JErnestGo

Idea

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Even better would be to have checked items sort to the bottom of the list - you'd spend even less time looking at them than you would if they were greyed-out or struck through but interspersed with uncompleted items.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, tavor said:

Even better would be to have checked items sort to the bottom of the list - you'd spend even less time looking at them than you would if they were greyed-out or struck through but interspersed with uncompleted items.

Autohotkey?  ;)

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, JErnestGo said:

Items checked using checkboxes are either greyed-out or stroke using strike through features.

4 hours ago, tavor said:

Even better would be to have checked items sort to the bottom of the list

I've also seen List apps that hide/display/reset completed items

imho  This is a niche function and we won't see it being implemented in EN

There's no harm in posting the request, and user's can indicate their support with the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, tavor said:

Damn you. This is above my AHK pay grade, but now you've put the idea in my head.

Yeah, I think I did this as a lark some time back with a PE hot key.  Carries conditions like the completed item is going to the bottom of the note, period.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Yeah, I think I did this as a lark some time back with a PE hot key.  Carries conditions like the completed item is going to the bottom of the note, period.

Why did you stop using it?

I was thinking it would separate the note into 2 alphabetically sorted lists, so as you check the checkbox, it moves to the bottom list, but gets sorted alphabetically in that list. Or maybe simplify it to dropping it to the bottom of the list, and have another reset hotkey that would uncheck everything and then alphabetically sort. Come to think of it, that would be better - nobody cares what the sort order of completed items is, just the order of uncompleted items. Does EN have a sort function for note contents?

Another option is a memorized manual sort that gets restored - I'm thinking grocery list. I.e., you sort it by how you walk through the grocery store. But this can be replicated with an alphabetical sort and prefix characters.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, tavor said:

Why did you stop using it?

I was thinking it would separate the note into 2 alphabetically sorted lists, so as you check the checkbox, it moves to the bottom list, but gets sorted alphabetically in that list. Or maybe simplify it to dropping it to the bottom of the list, and have another reset hotkey that would uncheck everything and then alphabetically sort. Come to think of it, that would be better - nobody cares what the sort order of completed items is, just the order of uncompleted items. Does EN have a sort function for note contents?

Another option is a memorized manual sort that gets restored - I'm thinking grocery list. I.e., you sort it by how you walk through the grocery store. But this can be replicated with an alphabetical sort and prefix characters.

I stopped because I rarely use to do lists per se in a note (Wunderlist for that).  And those I do use, like tax time checklist, I'd just as soon leave in order since I use the list as a template.  It was more of a see if it could be done exercise on a plane ride one day.

EN will not sort a list in a note.

Yeah, grocery lists in Wunderlist here, drag and drop by produce, dairy, whatever, then press and the items disappear.  Easier to share in Wunderlist as well.

7 hours ago, tavor said:

Agree. I am doing this have a To-do List notes, and at the bottom are items that have been accomplished. But this is done manually moving the items to the bottom table, manually, striking through.

3 hours ago, DTLow said:

I've also seen List apps that hide/display/reset completed items

imho  This is a niche function and we won't see it being implemented in EN

There's no harm in posting the request, and user's can indicate their support with the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion

True. Hence I am looking at other apps like Todoist to do this function for me, Google Calendar's Task Management Function seems not enough. I also dont want to use a lot of apps to manage my productivity, as currently I am just using Google Apps and Evernote.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JErnestGo said:

Hence I am looking at other apps like Todoist

I think using a dedicated app is the best approach.  Todoist might be overkill for simple list management

I do like having my data in one place in Evernote

The best solution would be an app that takes your Evernote data and displays it the way you need.  I looked at this app, but I think development died 

Archived