Multi selecting notes on it's own

Hi all, has anyone else experienced this? 

It usually happens after following a link to another note.  I will be happily reading/editing it and suddenly I am in "2 notes selected" mode.  It's starting to get really annoying...

I'm using the latest version (6.4.2.3788)

Graham

• Level 5*

Hi.  In the past year I've had that happen to me maybe twice..  no more often (if at all) in the latest version than any other.  And usually when I've been jumping around in the note list and could have mis-clicked easily...  How often are you getting this?  And on what device?

I'm on my Surface Pro 2 and it seems to come in waves. While I can't reproduce it to order, it's nearly always after clicking a link to a specific note. While I'm viewing/editing it the note will disappear and the screen comes up as if i selected two or more notes.  I still have focus on the note I'm editing as I can continue typing (even though I can't see what I'm typing) and the text will be there when I navigate back to that note.  The main problem is that I can never find the extra note that has been selected so that I can unselect it. This means I have to go through the process again of finding the original note (with the link) then clicking the link to the note I was editing.  In many cases it happens again, and again, and again.  On a similar theme, I sometimes get the notes refreshing themselves in the list view as if I was changing the search terms.  

Sometimes it seems like Evernote has a mind of it's own...

• Level 5*

Hi.  When more than one note is selected you see an additional menu pop up in what is normally the Note window,  plus thumbnails of the notes selected.  The menu gives you the option of adding tags to the notes selected.  If you can't tell which notes are involved,  try adding a temporary tag to the notes and search for that later.  It may be that one 'odd' note is causing your issue...

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

...  It may be that one 'odd' note is causing your issue...

THAT, is a very good idea Gaz. Thank you. It never occurred to me that it could be a single offending note. 

I will try to remember to do that the next time it happens....

Hi Graham,

I am another Surface Pro user and own the 3 and 4.

There are definitely issues if you try to use the touch screen. In fact it gets even worse where I have accidentally moved Notebooks!

Evernote removed support for the touch version and I would strongly recommend you don't try and do anything on the screen in the normal Evernote.

Having said that, if you are not using touch, then Gaz's suggestion seems to be your best solution to finding an answer.

Best regards

Chris

10 minutes ago, C6REW said:

There are definitely issues if you try to use the touch screen...

Strangely, I rarely used the touch features of the Surface Pro.  I just like it's portability - with the options of the touch screen if I really need it. This is usually only when I am browsing the web.  Thanks for the heads up on that though...

9 hours ago, gazumped said:

...try adding a temporary tag to the notes and search for that later.  It may be that one 'odd' note is causing your issue...

Hi Gaz, you were half right.  I managed to find a way to repeat this bug so I added a tag to both notes when they auto selected and it was the same note each time.

However, I tried it with a different link to a different note and it was a different note that was selected. AND, it was the same note for that link each time too.

I think I have found part of the reason and that is I'm using the "Side List" view. If I use the top list, it doesn't do it - at least not as yet.

In the side list view, if I click on a note link to a page there is always a random note highlighted in the left hand list. This note is not always in view straight away but is nearby if  scroll up or down a little (I have 20k notes). This random note is always the same note for that particular note link I have clicked.

So, I am thinking that it is memorising the view somehow.  Maybe a bit of random code from the "Always use....." setting??

Oh, and I've checked the logs.  Nothing appears when this happens - 08:52 in this case...

08:51:37 [5864] 67% Retrieving note "2016-11-25 Friday"
08:51:37 [5864] 67% * guid={********-****-****-****-***********}
08:51:37 [10464] 100% Connecting account **********
08:51:37 [10464] 100% Connecting account **********
08:51:38 [8160] Client synchronization finished, status: complete
08:51:38 [8160] * elapsed time: 0s
08:51:38 [9256] Comms Engine: syncComplete 0
  • Level 5*

Very weird.  In Windows its pretty easy & quick to uninstall and reinstall the app,  so I recommend you do that anyway - just copy your Databases folder to your desktop temporarily as a backup,  particularly if you have any Local Notebooks.  (It's a good idea to have regular local backups anyway...)

That will ensure that a random update gremlin didn't creep into the mix somewhere.

If that doesn't improve things I can only suggest you contact support directly if you can,  or message them on Twitter with the URL of this thread as background,  and see if they have any ideas.  It seems like you'll have to live with the occasional issue unless and until they (or anyone else here) can come up with something.

I've already tried that thanks. I think I'll wait for another update for now. Now I know what is causing it I can work around it in the meantime.

Just a few minutes ago my miniport adaptor arrived and I've just set up my old Dell monitor in portrait mode as a second screen. With Evernote in portrait view I can have a 'Top List' which should stop my problem (I think) and I'm rather liking the layout...

Thanks all - I'll let you know if anything changes...

• Level 5*
On 11/24/2016 at 6:19 AM, Graham Gott said:

Hi all, has anyone else experienced this? 

It usually happens after following a link to another note.  I will be happily reading/editing it and suddenly I am in "2 notes selected" mode.  It's starting to get really annoying...

I'm using the latest version (6.4.2.3788)

Graham

Happens to me frequently, daily I would say.

Archived