Request: Ability to Edit Excel and Word Documents in a Note

KidB

Idea

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-09 at 3:02 AM, KidB said:

It would be useful if we could edit Excel/Word documents in a note on iOS. 

Could you add more detail as to editing "in a note"
I was under the impression I could add files as attachments to a note
-for editing they would be edited in their native application (using open with).  It's a pain that the changes are not automatically updated to Evernote

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, KidB said:

It would be useful if we could edit Excel/Word documents in a note on iOS. 

That's probably why Excel and Word exist.  Doubtful that EN would invest in adding that functionality, though it would be nice if they did.

I wonder if the OP means 'editing in place' rather than 'editing by Evernote' – similar to the edit PDF problem: 

I suspect the challenges are more to do with iOS restrictions - though it's worth noting that Dropbox on iOS has partnered with Microsoft and DOES allow editing of Word, Excel and Powerpoint in-place, rather than relying on 'Open in...' and then copying the edited document as a duplicate back to Dropbox/Evernote. I assume they do this by linking Word and Dropbox via the net rather than through iOS.

Given that there is some crossover in how some people use Dropbox and Evernote (and both apps can serve as a quasi-file system for iOS), and as iOS (& Android) are slowly displacing traditional operating systems for many, the ability to edit files in place would be a great feature - even (especially?) if only editing by third party apps.

Sorry for the huge delay in responding.  Thanks for clarifying, that's what I meant - being able to edit and save Excel/Word documents and have it saved automatically within Evernote, i.e., not via the 'Open In...' feature.

Archived