Default sort for Shared Notebook

Jeremy Lawson

How can I set/ensure the order notes will display in my shared notebook (shared as a url)?

In my windows client, I used sort-by Title, Reverse order.

Created and Updated dates are unimportant in my ordering (happy to explain why, separately).

Example

Notebook name:
Meetings

Note titles:
2016-10-28 Meeting minutes
2016-10-21 Meeting minutes (with actions/status)
2016-10-14 Meeting minutes
2016-10-13 meeting discussion points

When visiting a Notebook-Share url, they're actually displayed as follows: (maybe by updated-date?)
2016-10-13 meeting discussion points
2016-10-21 Meeting minutes (with actions/status)
2016-10-28 Meeting minutes
2016-10-14 Meeting minutes

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, Jeremy Lawson said:

How can I set/ensure the order notes will display in my shared notebook (shared as a url)?

As far as I know, sorting doesn't transfer when you share a notebook.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Create a Table of Contents note for your notebook - you can alter the order in which the links are shown in any format you wish.  Share that note to your users.  Make sure that all links referenced in that note are also shared to the same set of users.  Depending on the content you may find it easier to share everything publicly,  in which case you need to replace the links in the ToC note with the public URLs of the note.  I'd recommend you start out sharing with one or two others just to make sure the system works and so that you can anticipate the FAQs you'll inevitably generate...

Are you freaking kidding?    That sounds like a nightmare!

Who's going to generate the 3000 public-share links for the existing notes? Or for the 10 new notes added each day?

Maybe I'm trying to get shared notebooks to do something it's not designed for.

What IS it designed for? What's the use case?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Jeremy Lawson said:

Are you freaking kidding?    That sounds like a nightmare!

Not actually kidding,  but you didn't state your use case,  so that was a possible fix - for small volumes of notes.  If you have 3,000 notes on share with new ones added daily,  how do your existing users find their way around your notebooks?

Like a well-made hammer,  Evernote can do a great deal,  but it's no good if you need to paint a wall.

• Level 5*

Maybe I'm trying to get shared notebooks to do something it's not designed for.

The use case is to share a set of notes with another user, just like it sounds. You get tags, but view/sorting doesn't transfer, at least at this time. The person you share to needs to sort them on their own. If you have a preferred sorting order, then you could at least include it in your share message.

• Level 5*
On 2016-10-31 at 7:58 PM, Jeremy Lawson said:

Created and Updated dates are unimportant in my ordering (happy to explain why, separately).

As pointed out, its not under your controlScreen Shot 2016-11-02 at 8.11.38 PM.png

A bit of educated guessing here:

1. Sort sequence is a per user setting
    Every user has their own default sort order
    The default is date created, 
    but your viewers can adjust the order using the options menu
    (there is a project to assign sort order to a notebook, but it's currently only  implemented on the Windows platform)

2. Users only have to change the default order the first time.  
    It's retained in a cookie

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 9.03.18 PM.png

Thanks for your suggestions, guys - I can see you're all putting a lot of effort into your responses.

Thanks for helping me find the view-sort-options in the web view. This is a great workaround, and I can tell people I send the link to how to change their sort.

Personally, I can't see how surprise-sort-order is ever appropriate, even for a notebook with 10 notes. This was already recognised a lot by the community, and semi-solved by the recent feature to "save" a default sort-order for different notebooks in desktop clients.

Someone suggested evernote is a hammer and can't paint a wall. Should I switch to a different tool for recording and referencing/sharing meeting notes?

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Jeremy Lawson said:

Someone suggested evernote is a hammer and can't paint a wall.

Nope - I pointed out that no matter how effective a tool may be,  you can't throw random tasks at it just because it's there. The point was to do some analysis first and then start looking at process options.  If there's other software out there that does what you need then it's got to be worth looking at. 

As there's a bit of effort invested in Evernote so far,  you might consider the option of Evernote plus Google Drive - your detailed meeting notes can be stored on Gdrive and all you need do is share a updated note containing links to the available files...

Archived