How does indexing work?

Just learned you can hold Ctrl key and click on Help in the Windows application to get some features I didn't know where there, like telling EN to start indexing your database.

I have  a question though: is this indexing my local notes, or the db in the cloud? 

In other words, should I run this on all three of my PCs to see if it eradicates the problem I'm trying to solve ("not responding")?

• Level 5*

Hi.  The extended help menu isn't really supposed to be used unless you're asked to do so by Support,  but some of the tags and indexing features are useful to get out of minor glitches.  Before you do anything I'd suggest you get a backup of the database in question (and yes,  it's the one on your local hard drive that will be indexed.)  'Local Notes' can have a specific meaning in Evernote,  though that's not particularly relevant here.  (And strictly it should be Local Notebooks,  though I guess they would contain 'local notes'...)

Anyhoo. I'd suggest backing one PC database up,  running the app - which might take a while depending on content - and checking to see whether things improve.  If not I'd skip the other two and contact support.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, hanseric said:

I have  a question though: is this indexing my local notes, or the db in the cloud?

AFAIK it is effecting your local notes.  So all three PCs.  Perhaps report back on what results you get.

Archived